TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Racing wheels

frazierfreud

Wider wheels with wider and stickier tires...hmm. Sounds like nice mod. I see jongbloed makes a 700 series wheel designed for the boss 302. 18"x10.5" on all 4 corners...about $1700. Weigh about 24 pounds.

Anyone have other ideas on similar sized wheels at a similar price? Some 315 width nt01 on all 4 corners sounds pretty nice!

I don't have experience with these wheels. I went the Enkei route. But for sure lighter wheels and good race / track tires were the biggest lap time improvement I have seen for my car. The problem is do you want to drive to the track on them or change them there. I decided to get a truck and trailer for this reason. From there the car has been more and more track only. It seems you have the bug for track day driving and I say go for it.

Jongbloeds are a very nice track wheel but being very light they are not durable enough to drive back & forth to the track IMHO - at least not very far, and certainly not on the roads where i live. If you can afford to have a dedicated track set to change at the track they would be tough to beat. I've been looking hard at the Enkei PF01 as they are fairly light, very reasonably priced and capable of very light street driving. Like you, my ideal track tire would be NT01's in 315 on all four corners.

FWIW, there was a great deal in the classifieds recently on a pair of 3 piece Forgeline in 18"X10. These are top of the line wheels and are serviceable if you damage a rim. Problem is, at $1500 apiece to buy two more they are too rich for my blood. I can buy 5 brand new Enkeis with tires for the cost of those rims alone.

You have to have the proper offset strut body and wheel offset to run and the manufacturer of tire . As far as turning goes you have to have the right steering stops to match up with the tire/wheel combo when ever you change from the stock sizes/offsets. FRPP and Roush both sell the different size steering stops that go on the rack .

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to Bruce Griggs and he offers an 18x10.5 wheel in +45mm offset.....very reasonably priced. He said they run 315s squared all the time, but I believe that is only with the Griggs coilovers. I'd give him a call.

I believe that is only with his SLA front suspension set up .

I believe that is only with his SLA front suspension set up .

That's what I thought too. I specifically asked about a non-SLA front and he said "we do it all the time." He said you might have to get aggressive with camber and/or run a thin spacer. Thinking 305/35 on 10.5 inch wheel squared is a viable option even without the SLA. Heck, run those 305s on a Forgestar 18x10 and get the offset you want.

That's what I thought too. I specifically asked about a non-SLA front and he said "we do it all the time." He said you might have to get aggressive with camber and/or run a thin spacer.

Did he happen to mention what he feels is a "thin" spacer ? 3mm , 5mm , .250" ?

I'm not looking for large wheels for the drag strip--I am looking for suggestions. Obviously my (rear) 20's on 2014 Shelby GT have to be replaced. a few suggested 15's would me best w/ a slick. I'm new to the sport--so looking for best for my car

General rule of thumb 275s or 285s on a 9-1/2 to 10 rim , 295s or 305s on a 10-1/2 rim - to keep the sidewalls of the tires parallel to one another. Others go off of the " tire sectional width .5" to 1" wider than the measured rim width ( inner bead to bead width )" . Tire Rack has some tech articles to explain . In order to maximize the tire contact patch you don't want too wide of a tire on a rim because the sidewalls point outward from the rim and roll up the side portions of the tread area causing less contact and an applied force right where the edge of the belts are laid under the tread thus increasing the possibility of getting tread separation from the belts . Of course even in similar size tires sectional width can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. JMO

Yes, 18 would be lighter and there are way more (read less expensive) tires to choose from

off hand do you know the biggest tire I could fit if use a 18x9.5 wheel? I'd be using it on my 2008 Shelby GT/SC w/ Shelby Extreme brakes front and rear

I did the GT500 18x9.5 wheels with what were supplied on the rear of the '07-'08-'09 GT500s, 285-40.

You can make almost anything "fit", but bigger than that will be over the tire manufacturers' recommendations for safe all-around use.

Both cars have the GT500 wheels; the front one 285s, the rear, 255s

6942698401_df9d00a059_o.jpg

6814009596_c169dbb32a_o.jpg

Archived