TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Where to get the KR H-Pipe under warranty work

shelbypt

Recetly, I've had a P420 code coming up, which is a catalytic inneficiency code. A local dealer looked at it and ordered me the H-pipe based on my VIN. I reminded them that my car was a KR and it had a unique H-pipe, not the GT500 x pipe. A week later, the part came in and of course is was the X-pipe. So, I called Ford Racing and they don't believe they have it and I have a message into Gary P. Does anyone know if the H-pipe comes from SAI or FFRP? And this will be done under warranty.

Thanks

Ok, here's the scoop from Gary Patterson. The GT500s came to SAI with the stock exhaust. They then cut out the stock H-pipe and welded in the KR H-pipe. He said that they don't have these assemblies anymore so if anyone has this problem in the future you will need to have Ford order the GT500 H-pipe and then modifiy it with your existing center pipe or have another one made. There are no more of these exhausts for your KRs guys. If Ford does the work, make sure you keep your H-pipe assembly. So, I will have Ford install the GT500 cat/H-pipe assembly and later, I will have the center pipe installed by American Racing Headers, they are here on Long Island.

. The GT500s came to SAI with the stock exhaust. They then cut out the stock H-pipe and welded in the KR H-pipe. He said that they don't have these assemblies anymore so if anyone has this problem in the future you will need to have Ford order the GT500 H-pipe and then modifiy it with your existing center pipe or have another one made. There are no more of these exhausts for your KRs guys.

SAI did NOT weld the "H" section in place after cutting and removing the factory "X" section. The H section was clamped in place only.

SAI wouldn't sell the KR H section for a long time, then changed their mind and did for a while. This is what the ad looked like...

_ScreenHunter_zszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/41998-my-h-pipe-and-kr-mufflers-sound-clip/

This is how it was done. Your dealer ordered the right x-pipe. Now it just has to be cut and reclamped.

um, that's incorrect. ordering the OEM x-pipe from the dealer is NOT the right way to get the KR h-pipe you are after. that would be a huge waste of time and money as there's no need for the OEM x-pipe when you can purchase an aftermarket catted or non-catted h-pipe designed specifically for the GT500. you cannot convert one to the other simply by cutting and clamping.

um, that's incorrect. ordering the OEM x-pipe from the dealer is NOT the right way to get the KR h-pipe you are after. that would be a huge waste of time and money as there's no need for the OEM x-pipe when you can purchase an aftermarket catted or non-catted h-pipe designed specifically for the GT500. you cannot convert one to the other simply by cutting and clamping.

Please read carefully.

The OP stated that he has a bad cat that needs to be replaced. The factory catted x-pipe is what the GT500's sent to Shelby for the KR conversion were equiped with. During the conversion process the x-pipe section was cut from the assembly and a Shelby H-pipe was clamped in place. Grabber showed exactly how this was done.

The above post by Tob is spot on to what the Shelby H-pipe is and how it was installed.

This part of the KR conversion wasn't exactly rocket science, but it sure makes for an incredibly sounding GT500.

I would have to assume that since the OP owns a KR, he is probably wanting to keep it as factory original as possible. Then again I could be wrong.

i stand corrected. the issue is really the catalytic converters, which come attached to the OEM x-pipe. i understand the desire to keep it stock, but i would just go buy an aftermarket catted h-pipe and bolt it on. you can get hi-flow metallic cats from magnaflow that will allow the 5.4 to breathe better.

i stand corrected. the issue is really the catalytic converters, which come attached to the OEM x-pipe. i understand the desire to keep it stock, but i would just go buy an aftermarket catted h-pipe and bolt it on. you can get hi-flow metallic cats from magnaflow that will allow the 5.4 to breathe better.

I get the impression that this is a warranty job.

Why spend extra when you do not have to.

And this will be done under warranty.

If the issue is one of warranty, Ford would only supply a factory OEM catted x-pipe. That specific assembly is the same for years '07-'10. Ford would not normally alter the pipe assembly in any way. If the OP is in NY, as am I, we have adopted much of California's emission laws and requirements. So technically, there is no aftermarket cat/con assembly for the '08/'09 GT500/KR. Here's the list of what is legal (hint - there's nothing for our beloved GT500's available)...

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/exemptcat09.pdf

The above is for fifty state compliance cats. There is a 49 state legal assembly sold by Magnaflow...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/displaydirectfit01.asp?catalogid=14643&directfit=49239

While Ford would never use that part for warranty work, it is definitely an option in states that will allow it. Companies such as MRT offer catted systems, but they have no exemption and as such you'll see a disclaimer at the bottom of their ads...

http://www.mrt-direct.com/93a600.html

When it comes to catalytic converters, I have yet to see an aftermarket unit that is as durable and robust as the original equipment cats. They fail miserably, especially behind high powered supercharged engines, stock tune or otherwise. To date, the "strongest" and most durable cat you'll find is the unit found behind the '13/'14 GT500.

And to be clear, the "H" section that Rob installed on his car was not the part that resides under each and every '08/'09 KR. It is similar but not the same. It is or was sold by PHRP (link here). I have one as well as SAI wasn't selling the KR pipe when I was looking for one. It is designed to be clamped in (as is the KR pipe) but it could be welded if you so desire. I chose to weld mine in (link here).

I get the impression that this is a warranty job.

Why spend extra when you do not have to.

i don't believe it's a warranty job, but even if it is, you'd spend the money for the added performance benefit. the cats are the most restrictive part of the entire exhaust system on a GT500. i have magnaflow hi-flow cats and haven't had any 'failures' yet. we'll see how long they last. i still have the OEM, catted mid-pipe in my garage if i ever need it.

Wow, I like all of the feedback. Here's some more background to my small delimma. Furst, I'm the original owner of my KR and I want to keep this KR true to form / Pure Shelby, and with the exception of the TVS blower, it is all Shelby. The code I have is a catalytic inefficiency code. It started with the right bank and now the left bank. My cats are fried. I can even hear the difference since this started happening. The cats are warranties for 8 years/80,000 miles. So, I want this to be done under warranty. The stock GT500 cats/ H or x if u prefer (who gives a crap) is what Ford ordered and that's all they have access to. My H pipe is welded, it's not clamped and Gary Patterson is the one who told me that they were welded in house, after receiving the stock assembly from Ford. Gary also said that they dont have any KR assemblies left, but Robert Lane answered a question for me and said to call Jer. That's going to be my next step. Thank you to everyone who replied to this thread. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

My H pipe is welded, it's not clamped and Gary Patterson is the one who told me that they were welded in house, after receiving the stock assembly from Ford.

Gary is mistaken. As I said before, the "H" section that SAI installed on each and every KR, years 2008/2009, were a cut and clamp method. The "H" pipe itself is welded, just not to the original catted pipe assembly.

And the "X"or "H" distinction is an important one as there can be much confusion if you neglect to care. There have been two different diameter catted pipe assemblies, either 2-1/2" or 2-3/4", with the latter diameter coming in an "H" configuration from years 2011 and later GT500.

On Edit...the assembly was even detailed a few years ago in Shelby's own magazine. You can see from this page where Randall has already cut the "X" section out and slid a pair of clamps on to the portion of the system that remains (upper left hand corner). On another page he is shown using a template to indicate where to cut the "X" section out, after which the "H" section gets clamped in place - not welded.

Picture1620.jpg

If it were me I would let Ford install the new cats with the Ford X pipe. After you get it home I would order the Powerhouse H pipe cut out the X and clamp in the new H. That is what Shelby did for their production runs.

If you received your car with the H welded in place you must have one of the very first cars before Shelby concluded that clamping in the H was much faster, cheaper and easier to do.

I hope you've been asking what could make both cats fail. That is extremely rare given your car is basically in stock Ford/Shelby configuration.

I hope this all works out to your satisfaction.

What happened to the original H-pipe? Is it possible to retrieve it & use it to replace the X-pipe the dealer is installing? That would keep you closer to "original" AND satisfy the KR exhaust note sound quality test.

What happened to the original H-pipe? Is it possible to retrieve it & use it to replace the X-pipe the dealer is installing? That would keep you closer to "original" AND satisfy the KR exhaust note sound quality test.

+1 remove the original H-pipe and take it will you. You can then have the new X-pipe cut and clamp on the old h-pipe.

Gary is mistaken. As I said before, the "H" section that SAI installed on each and every KR, years 2008/2009, were a cut and clamp method. The "H" pipe itself is welded, just not to the original catted pipe assembly.

And the "X"or "H" distinction is an important one as there can be much confusion if you neglect to care. There have been two different diameter catted pipe assemblies, either 2-1/2" or 2-3/4", with the latter diameter coming in an "H" configuration from years 2011 and later GT500.

On Edit...the assembly was even detailed a few years ago in Shelby's own magazine. You can see from this page where Randall has already cut the "X" section out and slid a pair of clamps on to the portion of the system that remains (upper left hand corner). On another page he is shown using a template to indicate where to cut the "X" section out, after which the "H" section gets clamped in place - not welded.

Picture1620.jpg

Tob, you are right, because the H-pipe is an assembly piece and it's clamped upstream about 10 inches and about 4 inches past the H-pipe. I was referring to the H-pipe that's welded between the two exhaust pipes. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I still have the stock exhaust on the car and will use this section after they install the stock cats, unless I can get this from SAI. I still haven't talked to Jer. Ingram mentioned what could have done this. I would suspect that it could be the addition of the TVS, 3.65 pulley, Pro-cal tune and then American Racing Headers built the Prototype shorty headers on my car for future sale at SAI and ARH. These shorty's hook right up to the stock exhaust flange. These stainless steel headers may increase the temp too much at the cats? I don't know. The shorty headers are being tested to see if they are 50 states street legal now. The shorty headers they built for the Camaro SS are 50 state legal.

Thanks guys for the feedback !!!!

Archived