TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Can Anyone Identify This GT-H?

HERTZ II

The photo and paragraph below come from an article in a 2007 issue of Car & Driver magazine. The article is about the 2007 running of the annual "Tire Rack Cannonball One Lap of America", a one week long endurance test for car and driver, in which this GT-H participated.

(The GT-H is incorrectly identified as a 2007)

I was wondering if anyone knows any more of the story behind the car's involvement and what Florida car it was (CSM #).

"Rent-a-racer is a term that rarely provokes smiles at rental-car counters, and this 2007 Hertz Ford Shelby Mustang GT-H is a case in point. Rhett O'Doski and James Kotas rented the GT-H in Florida and drove it in seven One Lap events without incident. But on the morning of day four in Pueblo, Colorado, the phone rang, and a stern-voiced Hertz representative told the teammates to return the car to Florida, forthwith, no more racing. Just how Hertz learned about the car's activities is a question we couldn't answer."

ers-and-this-2007-hertz-ford-shelby-mustang-gt-h-is-a-case-in-point-rhett-odoski-and-james-kotas-rented-the-gt-h-in-florida-photo-131882-s-1280x782.jpg

ers-and-this-2007-hertz-ford-shelby-mustang-gt-h-is-a-case-in-point-rhett-odoski-and-james-kotas-rented-the-gt-h-in-florida-photo-131882-s-1280x782.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
post-21656-12637833756_thumb.jpg

The GPS were removed from the cars when they finished their rental period, as they were quite expensive. Mine was retired early and evidently it was overlooked.

The unit was installed above the glove box. I found it as I was tracing down a mysterious battery drain issue. This unit would operate every few seconds, and draw about one amp. Removing it helped my battery drain issue...but never resolved it.

post-21656-12637833756_thumb.jpg

The GPS were removed from the cars when they finished their rental period, as they were quite expensive. Mine was retired early and evidently it was overlooked.

The unit was installed above the glove box. I found it as I was tracing down a mysterious battery drain issue. This unit would operate every few seconds, and draw about one amp. Removing it helped my battery drain issue...but never resolved it.

Yes it would be quite rare for this to be left in the car so one_quick has something unique. As far as I know the only way to tell if a GTH still has this box is to lower the actual glove box, not just the glove box door but the actual glove box, and look for this black box along with the power/ground wires heading towards the back of the stereo.

Steve

Archived