TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2008 Shelby GT500KR EPA Car

robertlane

Here's some KR history.

This is the GT500KR E.P.A. federal certification vehicle (CSM 08KR01EPA). It's purpose was the certifiy the GT500KR's calibration for production purposes. It was driven and tested by Roush, Mercedes Benz labs and Shelby American and could not exceed 5,000 total miles for testing purposes. While at Shelby, it was driven by teams of two to various destination points.

It features some odd parts, such as a distinctive 1/1 front lower splitter, adjustable suspension, Ford racing components, unfinsihed carbon fiber hood, EPA complaint test mufflers, EPA fuel inlets (in front of rear wheels) and special Goodyear test tires.

Internally, Ford assigned this vehicle the designation of VP1 or GT500KR vehicle protototype #1. VP1 was the first GT500KR to be built at Ford's Flat Rock Assembly Plant (August 2007) and the first GT500KR to receive a KR designated window sticker. It was also the first GT500KR to be "built" by Shelby American (November 2007).

Above, I've used "built" with quotations becuase Shelby never actually finished building VP1. Because of the test hood and rear spoiler, Shelby never installed over-the-top stripes, not did they install GT500KR side rocker stripes. Also absent were GT500KR side wings, the GT500KR faux fuel cap, Shelby decklid lettering and GT500KR wheels - it used base GT500 wheels. The only GT500KR identifcation that could be found is on the front grile. Some GT500KR performance pieces such as the shifter, axle cover, axle catch can, etc. were also never installed.

1233966_10201661834018597_1094882464_n.j

the black GT500KR wheels were never part of this vehicle's build

After being used as an EPA test car, the car sat in stroage within SAI and was then used to test fit 2007-2009 Shelby GT500 Super Snake hoods for customer cars that were being built in Las Vegas.

Internally at Shelby, this KR was simply refered to as the EPA car and because of that, it was assigned CSM 08KR01EPA by Roger Sorel. Jonathan Eck and myself simply called it blackie or the ugly duck.

Thanks for the info..... Always love to learn about the history of our cars.

Does it still look like this or have you added some of the missing KR parts?

If my info is right DEV #2 the second oldest KR was build Aug 31, 2007. I always wondered what happened to the oldest.

Robert, very cool to get the inside line. I know you own #10, You were telling me how unique it was back at the Detroit auto show this year. Please tell me this car was not crushed!

Robert, very cool to get the inside line. I know you own #10, You were telling me how unique it was back at the Detroit auto show this year. Please tell me this car was not crushed!

Pretty sure it has been saved but Robert would know more about that than me..... ;)

Thanks for the info..... Always love to learn about the history of our cars.

Does it still look like this or have you added some of the missing KR parts?

If my info is right DEV #2 the second oldest KR was build Aug 31, 2007. I always wondered what happened to the oldest.

#2 is silver and was built on 31 August. There is no title for #2.

Here's the changes that I have made:

Added Shelby letters across the decklid

Added Shelby side fender wings

Added KR faux fuel cap

Added Side rocker GT500KR stripes

Added GT500KR wheels/tires. Original prototype ones are in safe storage

Removed prorotype front lower splitter for safe storage

Removed prorotype hood for safe storage. It currently sports the GT500 Terlingua yellow hood. < That would have been a cool Shelby.

Robert, can you elaborate on the EPA compliant test mufflers? I've seen a number of Ford "engineering" vehicles over the years (including the '15 S550 car) that have the "bellmouth" tailpipe exit. Can you provide a technical explanation as to what it is that the EPA mandates with respect to the mufflers on test vehicles?

#2 is silver and was built on 31 August. There is no title for #2.

Here's the changes that I have made:

Added Shelby letters across the decklid

Added Shelby side fender wings

Added KR faux fuel cap

Added Side rocker GT500KR stripes

Added GT500KR wheels/tires. Original prototype ones are in safe storage

Removed prorotype front lower splitter for safe storage

Removed prorotype hood for safe storage. It currently sports the GT500 Terlingua yellow hood. < That would have been a cool Shelby.

:camera:733954_10200848171597545_2013633490_n.jpg :salute:

733954_10200848171597545_2013633490_n.jpg

Here's some KR history.

This is the GT500KR E.P.A. federal certification vehicle (CSM 08KR01EPA). It's purpose was the certifiy the GT500KR's calibration for production purposes. It was driven and tested by Roush, Mercedes Benz labs and Shelby American and could not exceed 5,000 total miles for testing purposes. While at Shelby, it was driven by teams of two to various destination points.

I understand the Roush & Shelby connection but why Mercedes Benz labs???

Phill

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing Robert.

I've got a question. At Dearborn 2008, during the "once in a life time" car show in the maintenance garage, there was a silver GT500 with a black rear spoiler. What was that car? I asked one of the tech's that was there and he thought it was a test mule for something new from Shelby. Do you know anything about that car?

The mufflers are essentially modified so that probe clamps and attach to them.

Steve is correct - MB laps are in Michigan and are used by virtually all manufacturers.

The wheels are standard 2007-2009 GT500, but the tires were special test units. They are embossed with white DOT numbers and are marked test units not for sale. I will get a photo.

Robert talking to Allen Grant (Shelby team driver) with Ken Strong looking on...from the Bash two years ago....

The gas line under the rocker just in front of the rear wheel is for the portable bbq :drop:

There was a company in South Africa that made a flame thrower apparatus from them that would have been used against car jackings. Talk about BBQ.

Archived