TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1965 Coupe (K Code) added to the family

MY500SS

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Marti reports prior to the '67 Mustangs. Records were lost/destroyed.... We do know that less than 1% of total '65-67 Mustang production (.07%) were K codes, so they are very rare. As for Shelby, the only thing they did to the engine was change the intake, carb and exhaust manifolds. This brought up the advertised 271 HP to 306.

There was a question about my firewall braces? The long tubular ones that extend further down the nose of the cars were factory installed on convertibles. Yes, they are original - '65s had a slightly different mounting on the front end of these braces. I had them powder coated along with the other removable black pieces and brackets, which is why the black doesn't exactly match the rest of the engine bay. I also used stainless steel washers and bolts under the hood as my car is a driver and I didn't want to deal with corrosion on the hardware.

Thank you for answering. I thought that it might have had something to do with being a conv., just never seen, nor noticed it before. What a great looking conv. you have. Thank you for sharing.

Congratulations on the new car. The K codes are so hard to find anymore, especially ones in good shape as yours appears to be.

When Shelby started his GT350 program what type of mods did he add to the K code and what HP did it end up with? Thanks

I know the mods consist of; Shelby hoods, monte carlo bars, Holley Carbs, Tri Y headers, deep oil pans, "Shelby" cast valve covers; Street engines were rated @ 305 HP, dual side exhaust utilizing glass packs, rear seat delete ( 65's), A arm '"1 drop (65's), override traction bars, Koni shocks, "15 stock steel wheels using Blue Dot tires, CS Crager 5 spoke were optional. Any one care to add or fix any info that I am missing or incorrect about, please fill free to add.

Thank you for answering. I thought that it might have had something to do with being a conv., just never seen, nor noticed it before. What a great looking conv. you have. Thank you for sharing.

Yes, the extra bar braces were standard on all first generation convertible Mustangs. My 1966 "A" code convertible had them as well as two additional metal plates underneath the rear floor pan area to stiffen and strengthen the body.

I always wanted a K code convertible when I was looking for my 66 - even back in 1986 they were hard to find. I sold my 66 to get my SGT and still miss being able to go out in the garage to look at it...looks just as good as my SGT just not as fast and definitely does not handle as well. I put a set of original 66 steel styled wheels on mine...you should consider getting some of those for your K with the dual Red Line tires that they used o come with...they will look great on any color 1st generation Mustang.

One day I will buy my old 66 back from my Dad....it's the car that started this addiction to Mustangs!!!

Andy

Very cool, please post up pics of the restoration of your 69 Mach 1 R code.

I believe the Marti Reports don't go as far back as 65 on the Mustang.

I forgot the Marti reports didn't go back that far. I still need to order mine for the R code. It's going to be a slow restoration as time and funds become available to do it. I suppose I could start a thread on it, but it will be a very slow thread indeed. :) I'm going to start the resto in the existing garage and somewhere along the way I plan on putting up a proper shop to work in so that will put a damper on the restoration in a year or two. If all goes well, I'm thinking 5-6 years from now to be done with the resto assuming all goes to plan, but life has a way of always changing things so really whenever it's done, it's done I guess.

Congrats on a great car. I still miss my '64 1/2 K code, someday I want to get another, enjoy! BTW, does it have the VIN stamp on the engine?

Thanks Mike. Yes, the VIN is stamped on the block. Passenger side just above where the oil pan bolts up.

What's happening in Terlingua?

It's a gathering of Shelby's and Ford vehicles at the Lajitas Resort just outside Terlingua. 4 days of fast cars, great food and the most wonderful people you'll ever meet. Without a doubt, one of my favorite events of the year.

Wow! Been there many times and love the place. Didn't realize any of that was happening, I guess I need to start looking at places other than the Southern Plains and Shelby events pages for these things, this is not listed anywhere I looked. Is it a private event?

The event is hosted by the Terlingua Preservation Society. It's a small, intimate event that sells out every year. Keep an eye on their web for details to upcoming events. www.terlinguapreservtionsociety.com. It's a great time and you should give it a go. :victory:

The event is hosted by the Terlingua Preservation Society. It's a small, intimate event that sells out every year. Keep an eye on their web for details to upcoming events. www.terlinguapreservtionsociety.com. It's a great time and you should give it a go. :victory:

Thanks for the tip, it is now bookmarked, not far from me too. I see you have a '63 L76, I have a '64 L76 'vert, love the car and it is a Duntov winner at NCRS. Cheers!

Congrats Dan!! Margi is a wonderful woman!!

What a great find with all original drivetrain. Honey Gold is a really nice looking color when done properly too.

Here is my 66 GT that I just finished a ground up restoration that I am selling if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-GT-Fully-Restored-35K-Nut-Bolt-Resto-1-Family-Owned-65-66-67-68-69-70-/281161661593?ViewItem=&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&item=281161661593&forcev4exp=true

Alex

Congrats Dan!! Margi is a wonderful woman!!

What a great find with all original drivetrain. Honey Gold is a really nice looking color when done properly too.

Here is my 66 GT that I just finished a ground up restoration that I am selling if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-GT-Fully-Restored-35K-Nut-Bolt-Resto-1-Family-Owned-65-66-67-68-69-70-/281161661593?ViewItem=&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&item=281161661593&forcev4exp=true

Alex

That car is making me drool Alex. :shades:

Very nicely done, Alex. Over the top and worth every penny. Two thumbs up from me! Even though I only saw you for a minute in Santa Monica, it was nice seeing you. Thank you for sharing the Route 66 trip for all of us. Take care and enjoy Terlingua!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived