TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1965 Coupe (K Code) added to the family

MY500SS

Just picked up a 1965 Coupe K code to add to the stable.......an early 50th Birthday gift from my lovely wife Marji.

It's a really nice driver with the original engine, trans and rear end. Only thing not original is the color. Per the trim tag the color should be Honey Gold. I'll be restoring back to that ASAP. Cragar wheels shown are for regular driving. Car comes with the original steel wheels with spinner caps.

We're in the process of arranging shipping to SoCal and can't wait to get her here.

Kcode1_zps6e969e4a.jpg

Kcode3_zps31311b5d.jpg

Kcode5_zps21db88da.jpg

Kcode7_zps74ffa7a6.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That car is in really great shape, good find by the Mrs. The 271 HP is hard to find in that condition. I hope you and the wife enjoy it. Please post pictures when you have it repainted, I also enjoyed your trip pictures to NY. Just one question did it come standard with the chrome valve covers?

I suggest you keep it black for a while if the paint/body is presentable and enjoy driving the snot out of it and not having to worry about it. After you get it all sorted out to your liking (these cars always have some drive-ability/mechanical things to do) and you have any money left - THEN repaint it. Enjoy it as much as you can now - that black looks great and the Honey Gold is rather bland (have you seen Honey Gold.....more like pea soup green), but I would also like it to be original color like yourself eventually.

Congrads Dan! Looks beautiful! Happy early 50th birthday. I agree that you should leave it black for a bit and drive it around till you get some wear, then do the resto of the paint. Having a K code makes having a 65 even more sweat! Is the motor rebuilt? If so, did it retain the solid lifters? Hats off to your wife. You guys are truly an amazing car couple. Maybe the next time I see you, you will have your K code with you. Take care.

That car is in really great shape, good find by the Mrs. The 271 HP is hard to find in that condition. I hope you and the wife enjoy it. Please post pictures when you have it repainted, I also enjoyed your trip pictures to NY. Just one question did it come standard with the chrome valve covers?

I am not Dan, but I believe they did come standard for the K code.

Hey Dan, are those long tube headers on it. I cannot tell. In case you did not know already, the K codes did have they're own K code style headers. They looked like factory, but bigger and separate exhaust tubes that meet at about a 45 degree at a collector. They usually run around $289.00. Just throwing the info out to ya'.

Looks like the correct style valve covers to me. The air cleaner base should be gold for the a '65 (not blue) and is an easy fix for you. You can also get some mustard yellow paint and paint the top of your coil for an original look. It appears you have an Autolite carb on there - is it a proper 4100 with the larger venturi size? A real K code carb is big $$$. The exhaust is not stock - somebody added headers, but that makes it more fun, right? (: Original style hubcaps would be really nice! Too bad they don't make a 15" reproduction of the hubcaps yet as 14" tires are becoming hard to find. They do make 15" styled steel wheels, though....However, they seem to be over played. I like rocking the original style hubcaps decision (:

I like plain Jane '65s. So many modify these to appear to be GTs and add Pony interior. The '65 cars are great in standard trim, just like this one. One thing you may want to consider is adding front disc brakes. No need for aftermarket 4 wheel discs as the stock Kelsey Hayes style front disc system works great! They were optional equipment on the non-GT kars. K codes are sweet and unique breed of Mustang all on their own. Congratulations and have fun! Your Kar appears to be a great driving machine - please drive it (:

Here is my '66

0004.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

csb-13x19-promo.jpg

Happy 50th. I also have a K code. I restored it back from the dead. National show winner now. Love driving the old school cars. Makes you appreciate the newer ones. I treated myself to a 08KR on my 50th. Enjoy the car and experience.

Looks like the correct style valve covers to me. The air cleaner base should be gold for the a '65 (not blue) and is an easy fix for you. You can also get some mustard yellow paint and paint the top of your coil for an original look. It appears you have an Autolite carb on there - is it a proper 4100 with the larger venturi size? A real K code carb is big $$$. The exhaust is not stock - somebody added headers, but that makes it more fun, right? (: Original style hubcaps would be really nice! Too bad they don't make a 15" reproduction of the hubcaps yet as 14" tires are becoming hard to find. They do make 15" styled steel wheels, though....However, they seem to be over played. I like rocking the original style hubcaps decision (:

I like plain Jane '65s. So many modify these to appear to be GTs and add Pony interior. The '65 cars are great in standard trim, just like this one. One thing you may want to consider is adding front disc brakes. No need for aftermarket 4 wheel discs as the stock Kelsey Hayes style front disc system works great! They were optional equipment on the non-GT kars. K codes are sweet and unique breed of Mustang all on their own. Congratulations and have fun! Your Kar appears to be a great driving machine - please drive it (:

Here is my '66

0004.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

csb-13x19-promo.jpg

Wow, you really know your early Stangs! Listen to him Dan! Quick question ITHERTZ66, are the braces going to the firewall original? Never seen that kind of set up before.

Congratulations on the new car. The K codes are so hard to find anymore, especially ones in good shape as yours appears to be.

When Shelby started his GT350 program what type of mods did he add to the K code and what HP did it end up with? Thanks

Thanks rocky. Chrome valve covers came standard on the K code.

Congrads Dan! Looks beautiful! Happy early 50th birthday. I agree that you should leave it black for a bit and drive it around till you get some wear, then do the resto of the paint. Having a K code makes having a 65 even more sweat! Is the motor rebuilt? If so, did it retain the solid lifters? Hats off to your wife. You guys are truly an amazing car couple. Maybe the next time I see you, you will have your K code with you. Take care.

Thanks Dennis.

The engine was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and still retain the solid lifters. I'll keep the black paint for now but she'll be going back to Honey Gold as soon as I have time to strip down and do a proper paint job. Money could be a factor as well :spend:

Hey Dan, are those long tube headers on it. I cannot tell. In case you did not know already, the K codes did have they're own K code style headers. They looked like factory, but bigger and separate exhaust tubes that meet at about a 45 degree at a collector. They usually run around $289.00. Just throwing the info out to ya'.

Yes, long tubes but I have the original exhaust manifolds that will be going back on.

Here is my '66

0004.jpg

0010.jpg

0011.jpg

csb-13x19-promo.jpg

Wow, your 66 K code GT is beautiful and thank you for the very valuable information. I can see I'll be bugging you for more as this restoration gets moving.

Yes, the carb is Autolite 4100 1.12 (600 cfm). I also have the original exhaust manifolds and steel wheels with the spinner hubcaps for the car. All that will be going back on as well.

Happy 50th. I also have a K code. I restored it back from the dead. National show winner now. Love driving the old school cars. Makes you appreciate the newer ones. I treated myself to a 08KR on my 50th. Enjoy the car and experience.

I guess turning 50 is a great thing.......................................and it sounds like you have a sweet collection going. :worship:

Congratulations on the new car. The K codes are so hard to find anymore, especially ones in good shape as yours appears to be.

When Shelby started his GT350 program what type of mods did he add to the K code and what HP did it end up with? Thanks

Thanks David. I'm not sure what all the guys at Shelby did but I know they added headers.

My father-in-law was fortunate enough to have a new one back in the day. He sent it out to be worked on and when it came back it looked totally amazing. He had taken his British Racing Green and had it painted with orange pin stripes with white trace on each side of the pinstripe and teardrops. He set it off with the American Racing mag wheels. I don't know what all he did to the engine but it was topped off with two huge four barrel carbs. Like todays Mustangs you could not keep the tires planted but when the GTO's did a running start I would leave them in the dust.

He sold the car while I was in the service. I shed a tear that day.

Great car and what a wife! Enjoy the car. I love the new ones but would never be able to sell my old ones. I'm going to start a restoration on my '69 Mach 1 R code code this winter. I agree with going back to original color. If you don't already have it you might want to get yourself a Marti report on your car too.

Great car and what a wife! Enjoy the car. I love the new ones but would never be able to sell my old ones. I'm going to start a restoration on my '69 Mach 1 R code code this winter. I agree with going back to original color. If you don't already have it you might want to get yourself a Marti report on your car too.

Very cool, please post up pics of the restoration of your 69 Mach 1 R code.

I believe the Marti Reports don't go as far back as 65 on the Mustang.

No Marti reports prior to the '67 Mustangs. Records were lost/destroyed.... We do know that less than 1% of total '65-67 Mustang production (.07%) were K codes, so they are very rare. As for Shelby, the only thing they did to the engine was change the intake, carb and exhaust manifolds. This brought up the advertised 271 HP to 306.

There was a question about my firewall braces? The long tubular ones that extend further down the nose of the cars were factory installed on convertibles. Yes, they are original - '65s had a slightly different mounting on the front end of these braces. I had them powder coated along with the other removable black pieces and brackets, which is why the black doesn't exactly match the rest of the engine bay. I also used stainless steel washers and bolts under the hood as my car is a driver and I didn't want to deal with corrosion on the hardware.

Archived