TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Help with Tire Size Upgrade

MTYQIN

Guys,

Currently my 2012 is running 285/30-20 NT555 on 10 inch CS40's out back. Wanted to go to 305/30-20, or possibly 305/35-20, but the tape measure says it can't happen. I'm running FRPP FR3 lowering springs, so I've come down 1.25 inch. Where I'm at in Virginia, I can't find any Nitto tires in these sizes to even try on. Everything will have to be special ordered. If anybody out there is running lowered on the FR springs, and running something larger than 285/30-20 on a 10 in rim, I'd very much appreciate hearing how you worked it out. Just looking at specs, it appears to me I might be limited to about a 295/30 in order to ensure clearance at the wheel well lip.

Any help, insights or suggestions will be gladly received.

Thanks,

Quinn

• 2 weeks later...

speaking from experience, anything 285 or higher with 35/20 is probably going to rub. but you'd be okay with 305 or less on a 30/20. basically, for clearance reasons, a 30-series tire is best for 20" wheels on a lowered GT500.

and i second that statement. the car looks tough! and i'm not a huge fan of the 2010+ body.

I've tried every tire under the sun on for fitment, so that I could speak from experience, and I went with 265x35/20 & 305x35/20's. The P-Zero's run between the MSPP's and the Nittos as far as diameter. I find the Mich's run pretty true to size, the Conti's run about the same as the P-Zero's and all the street D/R types, Nitto, Toyo, M/T run tall. My 305's don't rub at all, but I'm also running a custom wheel with the EXACT backspacing to be able to maximize axle articulation, and a Watts to keep it all in the center.

aclass, Tungsten, Jeff,

Thanks for sharing your experience and insight. I just don't see how I can do much more than a 30 profile according to both the tape measure and the eyeball. I'm pretty comfortable going with a 305/30 on the CS 40s (at least for now). Not finding many tires in that size, though. So far, the best matches I've found are the Toyo TR1, and Pirelli P Zero. If any of you guys can ID other brands with a 305/30-20, I'd certainly appreciate being able to expand my choices.

Again, thanks for taking the time to help me get this sorted out, and for your upchececks on my car. Nothing means more than having other Shelby guys observe that you're doing right by the family name.

All the best,

Quinn

• 3 weeks later...

front... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=265%2F&ratio=35&diameter=20

rear... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=&width=305%2F&ratio=30&diameter=20

by the way, for the rears, i had nittos with 315/35 with an OEM 45mm offset and they rubbed on the inside and were too close for comfort near the fender lip. i'm currently runing toyo proxies in a 315/30 on a 24mm offset rim, and while they are okay, they will rub if i lower the ride height too much. that said, they grip like a motherfracker.

Tungsten,

Do you think you would have been OK with the 45mm offset running a 305? What width are you planning to run with your 265/305 tires?

Thanks, and have a great one,

Quinn

yes and no. i briefly had the steeda spyder rims before i had my razors widened and they had 315/35-20x11 w/45mm offset on the rears. first, the were too tall. they just looked too big in the wheel well with very little clearance around the entire opening. second, they actually rubbed on the INNER portion of the wheel well, not the outer lip. so, yes, a 305/35 would fit better, but in my opinion, they would sit too far inside the fender lip and probably still be a bit tall from rim's edge to the tire's tread.

the reason i'm planning on 265/35 upfront is because widening the rears increases the contact patch and grip, which introduces a tendency towards understeer (the rear wheels moving forward overcome the front wheels trying to turn in either direction). i currently have 255/35-20x9 w24mm offset upfront, so a 265 would provide a slight bit more grip and would perfectly match the wheel/tire height of the rear 305s out back. plus, it is very close to what Shelby American specified for the 40th anniversary edition cars, except with more rear traction.

glroy,

Your undercarriage is immaculate. My compliments. Is your 13 lowered? What offset did you go with to handle a 335?

The difference in how the cars have evolved over the years is striking when you look to the front of the garage and note the narrow rubber the Mach1 is running on. Lots of tire back in the day.

Nice job, sir.

All the best,

Quinn

PS You from Gilroy by any chance?

glroy,

Your undercarriage is immaculate. My compliments. Is your 13 lowered? What offset did you go with to handle a 335?

The difference in how the cars have evolved over the years is striking when you look to the front of the garage and note the narrow rubber the Mach1 is running on. Lots of tire back in the day.

Nice job, sir.

All the best,

Quinn

PS You from Gilroy by any chance?

You are looking at my friends Boss. It is cool. I plan on doing most of what he has done. I gone with the fays watts rather than the steeda on the boss, and then all the steeda control arms. Mine will be ready for the 50th in Vegas, I am hoping Gary Paterson will be there I would like him to take my car on the track for a few laps with me as a passanger. Now that would be a fun ride!!

Glen

Archived