TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2014 ROUSH STAGE 3 ALUMINATOR vs SHELBY GT500 RACE

FURAFURA

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool! The 5.0 has SO much potential! It's a real pity it comes with such a crap tranny.

Im betting you are replacing input shafts and transmissions before you hit 20k miles. There is a Boss locally with a KB, and it is ridiculous. That said, it went through two input shafts and a tranny though so far. It now has an automatic since they are able to handle the power better.

I'm pretty happy with the results! may be because I have a 675hp Roush as well! :banvictory:

Watch the video and let me know what you guys think!!

Really nice car. I looked at both the 2012 Rousch Stage 3 and 2012 Shelby when shopping for a muscle car. Both were great cars. I ended up with the Shelby because I got $7K off MSRP. Could not pass it up.

That will beat a $70K GT500!

Phill

Yea, it's on the Internet so it must be true. Never mind the fact that the dealership that produced the video has unlimited numbers of Roush's to sell, but only 6 GT500's for the year and makes much more profit on the Roush or the fact that on my worst day at the track, my trap speed was 123 (at the same track the video was shot in Indianapolis.) and I am a very amateur racer.

That's cool! The 5.0 has SO much potential! It's a real pity it comes with such a crap tranny.

Im betting you are replacing input shafts and transmissions before you hit 20k miles. There is a Boss locally with a KB, and it is ridiculous. That said, it went through two input shafts and a tranny though so far. It now has an automatic since they are able to handle the power better.

Car has only 6000 miles so far and is 2011, I just replaced the OAM shifter with a Steeda Tri-Ax and replaced the OAM shifter bushing with Steeda as well, and is a huge difference, so far so good. If it breaks (Hopefully not) I will replace it, but until that happen, I'm pretty happy with it!! :shift:

Saw this already. A few points: (no sour grapes)

1) Shelby driver had 50lbs on the Roush driver and slower reaction time. Should have switched drivers to be more equal.

2) Roush 3.75 gears vs Shelbys 3.31 makes a big difference off the line and for trap times

3) Roush Cooper tires are a better tire than the Goodyears.

4) Pretty sure the Shelby is heavier, but unconfirmed.

Bottom line for me: $75K Roush is still listed as an aftermarket tuned GT when resale time comes, and my $60K Shelby will always be a Shelby, with the heart and soul of Mr. Carroll Shelby under the hood.

Really nice car. I looked at both the 2012 Rousch Stage 3 and 2012 Shelby when shopping for a muscle car. Both were great cars. I ended up with the Shelby because I got $7K off MSRP. Could not pass it up.

Thanks!

Here in Puerto Rico both cost $95,000 (car taxes are ridiculous!) so I ended up buying the Roush Sport version (all Roush cosmetic but no Roush performance parts on it) for $50,000, then I installed all the Roush stage 3 parts; S/C, Suspension and few more performance upgrades, and also installed Shelby Super snake wheels with INVO tires and Shelby 6 pistons brakes. everything for about $15,000 more, so I ended up spending $65,000 here for what they are asking $95,000 here in PR, been living in the states, I believe my decision was for the Shelby, but money wise here, that was the best I could do, and I believe It was the best decision, I'm a happy camper with my car. Both are great cars but (I believe) been the Roush a 5.0 engine is a lot lighter and with 676-700hp on the stage 3 kit, it make sense it will go on top, but it also depends huge on the driver, performance wise they both are very similar.

Cars are like sons to us, you will always defend yours no matter what!!

So the debate is understandable!

Saw this already. A few points: (no sour grapes)

1) Shelby driver had 50lbs on the Roush driver and slower reaction time. Should have switched drivers to be more equal.

2) Roush 3.75 gears vs Shelbys 3.31 makes a big difference off the line and for trap times

3) Roush Cooper tires are a better tire than the Goodyears.

Bottom line for me: $75K Roush is still listed as an aftermarket tuned GT when resale time comes, and my $60K Shelby will always be a Shelby, with the heart and soul of Mr. Carroll Shelby under the hood.

I completely agree with your 1-4 points! what I really don't agree is on the resale values, for what I have seen on ebay, dealers and everywhere else both cars depreciate more or less the same, keep in mine that the Shelby GT500 is build by Ford (on a mass production factory) not built it by Shelby (so the Carroll Shelby soul under the hood is a lithe bit debatable) GT-350s, KR and others with a rear Shelby vin#, and build it by the real Shelby Factory may have better luck than the rest of us in resale value, and even with that, I have seen 2008KRs for -$30,000 less of their original cost on ebay a few times and they only build 1750 of them. Don't get me wrong, I really love GT500s Shelbys, but I understand these are Ford SVT vehicles with the authorization from Shelby to use his name under a contract, and that's very cool!!

I'm keeping the Roush for racing and car shows , but I'm on the market for a 08-09 Shelby convertible for Sunday's driving, and here in PR, I'm seeing them for 35000-40000 for a car that cost $85000 here 4 years ago, so I see they depreciate as much as any car.

The diff gears aren't what you should be comparing, the total gear ratio is what matters (trans gear AND diff gear).

The Roush is 300 lbs. lighter.

Pretty equal HP and 300 lbs. lighter...That's a no brainer (who the winner should be).

The RT has NOTHING to do with the ET's, which the Roush got 2 out of 3 times so for the poster that threw that out there, it's moot.

I'm surprised there's anyone trying to defend the Shelby with the OBVIOUS advantage the Roush has over it (i.e. WEIGHT).

You sure can tell who the "Fanboys" are around here.

Phill

Yea, it's on the Internet so it must be true.

It's simple physics, and it IS true.

Them's the facts and you can't argue facts.

Phill

Phill, 100% right, physics speaks for itself. But making the runs a bit more equal would have been nice, (trade drivers?)

I was on the Roush list before I bought my GT500, but it was $10k more than the GT500 at the time and 100 hp less...and not a Shelby.

Furafura, Watch this video and tell me Carroll Shelby didnt have his hands on the GT500 build.

Yes, the GT500 is mass produced, but Mr. Shelby's heart and soul are in this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmmZMxY1rXY

Fanboy Wayne

Actual far as which will be worth the most in time 99.9% sure the Shelby will be worth more. The 2013 gt500 has the biggest motor of the late model factory cars and the most power from the factory and it will be the one that collectors will want to get a hold of. Only thing holding back the GT500 is tires which can be fixed easily with a set of super sports. The GT500 was setup for high speed not drag racing. Change the gears and tires and the GT500 will dominate the Roush because of its torque advantage which also wins races.

Phill, 100% right, physics speaks for itself. But making the runs a bit more equal would have been nice, (trade drivers?)

I was on the Roush list before I bought my GT500, but it was $10k more than the GT500 at the time and 100 hp less...and not a Shelby.

Furafura, Watch this video and tell me Carroll Shelby didnt have his hands on the GT500 build.

Yes, the GT500 is mass produced, but Mr. Shelby's heart and soul are in this car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmmZMxY1rXY

Fanboy Wayne

WjinLV

Pretty nice promotional video, nobody will take away that this are Shelby vehicles!, what I'm saying is that I don't believe this cars will have the same value to collectors in the 20+ years future (that 60s Shelby has today) because they were mass build by Ford, not Shelby. It would be nice to see Carroll on the development and actual manufacturing of the car, not just in the testing phase when the car was already made. Everybody at the video was from the SVT team, Just Shelby was there representing his name, I read someplace that his company get $5,000 for every GT500 Ford build in exchange for using his name, not sure but sounds logic to me that they have that type of a contract.

you have to agree that Shelby's manufactured at their Factory at Shelby Las Vegas will hold the value more than the Ford SVT one, and there's a reason for it.

Actual far as which will be worth the most in time 99.9% sure the Shelby will be worth more. The 2013 gt500 has the biggest motor of the late model factory cars and the most power from the factory and it will be the one that collectors will want to get a hold of. Only thing holding back the GT500 is tires which can be fixed easily with a set of super sports. The GT500 was setup for high speed not drag racing. Change the gears and tires and the GT500 will dominate the Roush because of its torque advantage which also wins races.

Like the video said. this are both FACTORY cars on a real environment, if we start changing parts in every car, the Factory test will be no longer useful, if you change something at the Shelby to win, then Roush has the right to install something else to the Roush to have the advantage again and so on and on......

I liked the video. I'm a huge roush fan. Hell i got him to sign my Shelby. That said i do think the video had a roush bias. Both drivers were awful IMHO. But how bout this.

Dear Shelby Automotive,

Please do a track comparison between the Super Snake and the RS3 stage 3 aluminator. I know how the 1/4 will probably turn out but I'd love to see a road course comparison. Not sure why the raced a stock 500 with the most optioned roush possible. Maybe cost comparison?

Like the video said. this are both FACTORY cars on a real environment, if we start changing parts in every car, the Factory test will be no longer useful, if you change something at the Shelby to win, then Roush has the right to install something else to the Roush to have the advantage again and so on and on......

Nice vid thanks for posting it...I agree with you it was as fair a race as you can make it I don't understand the butt hurting right of the bat because one lost and congrats on owning both

cars as both are awesome Stangs..... :rockon:

Nice vid thanks for posting it...I agree with you it was as fair a race as you can make it I don't understand the butt hurting right of the bat because one lost and congrats on owning both

Personally, I don't understand why people are so skeptical of the video or questioning the results like they were rigged. Surely there isn't a single fool around here that truly believes that 50 pounds on the Shelby driver is why the Shelby lost 2 out of 3 times....IS THERE?

Like I said elsewhere, it's a matter of simple PHYSICS. A lighter car with slightly more horsepower is going to WIN over a heavier car with slightly less HP, no matter whose name is on it. 12HP isn't a lot of difference but 300 pounds, IS!

The 2010 Roush 427R would beat a stock 2010 Shelby too and I'm not crying about it. I could'a bought a Roush and in fact I almost did...Until I compared them side-by-side and liked how the Shelby LOOKED over the Roush (at least from the front).

The Roush looked better from the rear due to Roush's wider (3-pc) rear spoiler/wing. But I figured if I wanted to duplicate that look, I could buy a Roush spoiler and put it on my Shelby and get the same look, for a couple hundred bucks..

The Roush looked better from the side with it's lower stance and bright wheels. Again, I figured I could buy the "stance" from Ford Racing for a couple hundred bucks and get a different set of wheels, if I so desired (and I did with a set of Alcoa's and a FR-3 handling pack).

But when I compared them up front, the Shelby won out hands down. It had the different nose on it where as the Roush looked like every other Mustang out there (which has since changed when Ford went with the "Shelby" type front facia). That was something I didn't feel would be cost efficient to purchase to get the LOOK of a Shelby (Hood, front facia, grilles, blah x 3).

To me, the Shelby looked like one of those big giant Whale Sharks with its mouth gaping open, cruising the deep abyss and sucking up everything in its path to eat, sucking up prey like a big vacuum and spitting it out the exhaust...And THAT is what made my decision for me.

(Carroll) Shelby was already a legend and Roush is a legend in the making so I wasn't at all concerned about whose NAME was on my car because in the end, it's STILL a Ford...And it's STILL a Mustang. Who cares what name tag is on it?

To each its own,

Phill

Pretty interesting video. I'd definitely give a Roush a test drive next time I'm at the dealership. I'm wondering how the suspension is on the Roush vs the BOSS 302. Nice cars all around.

There really is nothing to compare.

I said it on another forum, ill say it here-

The Roush is fast, and like the GT350, capable of beating a stock gt500. No biggie.

I got my gt350 pushing 725 HP fairly easily.

The difference is that there were not many simple things left to do to gain a significant increase in HP after that.. The Roush suffers the same problem. The 2013+ GT500 has another easy 150 HP for very little in cost and time.

The Revan Racing 13-6 kit alone takes about half an hour and costs 1500.00. That's 75+\- hp right there.

Oh, and just to be fair- the first video is nothing short of an advertisement itself. The guy is trying to sell a Roush. His compliment to the gt500 doesn't change that.

But, any car, small block or large can be modded to go faster, so it means nothing.

+1

Personally, I don't understand why people are so skeptical of the video or questioning the results like they were rigged. Surely there isn't a single fool around here that truly believes that 50 pounds on the Shelby driver is why the Shelby lost 2 out of 3 times....IS THERE?

Like I said elsewhere, it's a matter of simple PHYSICS. A lighter car with slightly more horsepower is going to WIN over a heavier car with slightly less HP, no matter whose name is on it. 12HP isn't a lot of difference but 300 pounds, IS!

The 2010 Roush 427R would beat a stock 2010 Shelby too and I'm not crying about it. I could'a bought a Roush and in fact I almost did...Until I compared them side-by-side and liked how the Shelby LOOKED over the Roush (at least from the front).

The Roush looked better from the rear due to Roush's wider (3-pc) rear spoiler/wing. But I figured if I wanted to duplicate that look, I could buy a Roush spoiler and put it on my Shelby and get the same look, for a couple hundred bucks..

The Roush looked better from the side with it's lower stance and bright wheels. Again, I figured I could buy the "stance" from Ford Racing for a couple hundred bucks and get a different set of wheels, if I so desired (and I did with a set of Alcoa's and a FR-3 handling pack).

But when I compared them up front, the Shelby won out hands down. It had the different nose on it where as the Roush looked like every other Mustang out there (which has since changed when Ford went with the "Shelby" type front facia). That was something I didn't feel would be cost efficient to purchase to get the LOOK of a Shelby (Hood, front facia, grilles, blah x 3).

To me, the Shelby looked like one of those big giant Whale Sharks with its mouth gaping open, cruising the deep abyss and sucking up everything in its path to eat, sucking up prey like a big vacuum and spitting it out the exhaust...And THAT is what made my decision for me.

(Carroll) Shelby was already a legend and Roush is a legend in the making so I wasn't at all concerned about whose NAME was on my car because in the end, it's STILL a Ford...And it's STILL a Mustang. Who cares what name tag is on it?

To each its own,

Phill

+2

There really is nothing to compare.

I said it on another forum, ill say it here-

The Roush is fast, and like the GT350, capable of beating a stock gt500. No biggie.

I got my gt350 pushing 725 HP fairly easily.

The difference is that there were not many simple things left to do to gain a significant increase in HP after that.. The Roush suffers the same problem. The 2013+ GT500 has another easy 150 HP for very little in cost and time.

The Revan Racing 13-6 kit alone takes about half an hour and costs 1500.00. That's 75+\- hp right there.

Oh, and just to be fair- the first video is nothing short of an advertisement itself. The guy is trying to sell a Roush. His compliment to the gt500 doesn't change that.

But, any car, small block or large can be modded to go faster, so it means nothing.

I agree with you,

Roush has a new option for a forget Aluminator 5.0 engine and they charge $8000 for that option besides what you pay for the 675hp Stage 3, I have the same 675 stage 3 kit without the Aluminator engine and saved the $8000, performance is the same, but the Aluminator can handle more hp in the future because of the forget components. But remember, every Roush car comes with the regular 5.0 installed from Ford factory, they remove that engine, put the Aluminator in, charge $8000 and keep the original new 5.0, for them, very good business for them, but not fair to the new owner that is paying for 2 engines but get only one.

I agree that the Roush being a lighter car w/ different gearing and tires, should be quicker in the 1/4 mile, not so afterwards.

Remember that the Roush is a modified car that comes in three stages of tune and the Shelby is a stock car w/ 300 more pounds of weight.

I own two GT500s, a 08 convertible and a 2013 coupe w/ the track pack option which I recently mildly modified w/ a VMP pulley, a cobra jet throttle body, 128mm JLT intake and a Jon Lund tune.

This car has been transformed and I know that there are few cars on the street including GTRs that could keep up with it. I think it all comes down to choices and we should be grateful that we get to have them. Bang for the buck you can't beat Shelby, Roush or Ford!

On a side note I happen to be selling my 08 GT500 convertible, it's got 6900 original miles and over 30k in mods. It's in concours condition and it's at the Ponce Ford Dealership (787) 651-0000

I am asking $43K for it and it's the only one PR.

Remember that the Roush is a modified car that comes in three stages of tune and the Shelby is a stock car w/ 300 more pounds of weight.

If the Roush is to be considered a "Modified" Mustang (car), the Shelby should be too.

The Shelby is a Mustang GT with a larger displacement motor (5.8L vs 5.0L) with a (2.3L TVS) Supercharger added plus the suspension differences (the counterpart to a Roush RS3).

The Roush is a Mustang GT with a 'like' displacement *forged* motor with a (RS2300 TVS) Supercharger added plus the suspension differences (the counterpart to a Shelby GT500)

The Shelby also comes in "three stages of tune".

1. Base

2. Performance Pack

3. Track Pack

The MSRP on both is close to one another so this is darn near a "apples to apples" comparison.

Phill

Roush has a new option for a forget Aluminator 5.0 engine and they charge $8000 for that option besides what you pay for the 675hp Stage 3, I have the same 675 stage 3 kit without the Aluminator engine and saved the $8000, performance is the same, but the Aluminator can handle more hp in the future because of the forget components. But remember, every Roush car comes with the regular 5.0 installed from Ford factory, they remove that engine, put the Aluminator in, charge $8000 and keep the original new 5.0, for them, very good business for them, but not fair to the new owner that is paying for 2 engines but get only one.

Checking the Ford Racing site, I see that the XS Aluminator crate motor has a $16K price tag on it so it looks like Roush is giving you back ~$8K for your STOCK/OEM engine if they're only charging $8K for the optional Aluminator.

Phill

Archived