TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua 2013 Event Primer

VorpalBunny

Terlingua '13 is almost here! October 3-6 are this years dates with the pre-event meetup in Alpine on the 2cd.

Good times, fast cars going fast, a chance to make a difference to local charities and the best friends anywhere!

Thought I would share a local link on the Terlingua Ghostown where Carroll and Bill used to hang out: http://www.ghosttowntexas.com/terlingua.html

www.terlinguapreservationsociety.com to see more of the event and the cars!

We could accomodate one more car and room this year due to a family health need of one participant. If anyone is interested please let me know - David Elkowitz, vorpl8@yahoo.com

Viva Terlingua!

David

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David,

I take it that the "Terlingua Event Schedule" link is for this year. Just The title under the photo says "Schedule of 2012 Activities".

There also appears to be two October the 6th's.

Not done this before, so I don't know if this is last years schedule.

Stewart

Hi David,

I take it that the "Terlingua Event Schedule" link is for this year. Just The title under the photo says "Schedule of 2012 Activities".

There also appears to be two October the 6th's.

Not done this before, so I don't know if this is last years schedule.

Stewart

Hey Stewart,

Yes, you are correct. The schedule on the website is for/from last year. It will give a good idea of the event structure. We are finalizing this year's schedule now and will be emailing it to all participants in the near future. Everything is nailed down and ready to go, just need to sit down, check last minute details of times and venues and type it up! It will be an absolute blast with good friends in a truly unique area rich with Shelby and Terlingua history.

David

• 2 weeks later...

well, it looks like the shipping issues have finally been resolved and the car will actually make it to Alpine (and Terlingua) after all.

many thanks to Dave at The Stable for his help in coordinating, and his agreement to act as the "receiver" for the transport.

see everyone in 4 weeks!

Best

Pat

Pat,

Excellent news! Yes, Dave Durant at The Stable is a great area resource :worship: and event supporter! way to go Dave.

We will all be at The Stable for lunch Saturday - he has quite a car collection and speed shop.

See you'all soon :yahoo: ,

David

The pre per-event event this year is in San Antonio TX on Tues. Oct 1. We are staying at the

Country Inn and Suites

8505 Broadway Street

San Antonio, TX 78217

(210) 822-1554

Good, free breakfast in the morning and great parking for cars and trailers. Caravan on down to Alpine from there :-)

All T13 Event Goers!

AKA Our Friends :grouphug:

An event schedule and event info will be coming your way in the email shortly! T13 will be an absolute blast! :happy feet:

See you all soon.

David and the TPS Board

All T13 Event Goers!

AKA Our Friends :grouphug:

An event schedule and event info will be coming your way in the email shortly! T13 will be an absolute blast! :happy feet:

See you all soon.

David and the TPS Board

:victory:

So I am a newbie and this will be my first Terlingua (and Shelby) event, however It will not be my first visit to the Big Bend area.
We have gone to Big Bend, the Davis mountains and Marfa for the past few Thanksgivings.

Last year I noticed a yellow Boss 302 driving up and down Marfa when we were there (in a Mazda 5 - as the kids refused to do an 8+ hours cross-country trip in the back of our '08 GT). Having looked up The Stable from the postings above, I am guessing that that was Mr Durant out for a spin.

So we will be heading over from Austin on the Wednesday, anyone else on the same route? Actually we live North of Austin so will probably cut across on 29 to 377 and join I10 at Junction.

Hey Dr W,

Great to hear you know the area!

Yes, that was likely Dave or that bosses new owner. Nice car! There are 5 cobras and about 10 shelbys between Dave, myself and The Stable and other locals in Alpine and down here in little ole Terlingua - who'd a thunk it...

I will PM you some contacts for the caravan - easy to join!

Also, schedule, maps, things to know just went out to all participants in the email!!! 34 days to go! Less for the caravans! B) :rockon::drool:

David

So I am not keen on going via San Antonio, traffic through Austin is usually pants, whilst the cross-country rout on 29 is way more pleasant.

I was wondering, if anyone else heading down from, say, the DFW area fancied taking the "scenic" route.

On an alternative note, my Wife is really keen to go horse riding at the resort.

a. Will any one else (or their significant other) be doing this?

b. I guess that Friday would be the best day for her to do this whilst I (We) are off at the Airport, correct?? If not when would be best?

So I am not keen on going via San Antonio, traffic through Austin is usually pants, whilst the cross-country rout on 29 is way more pleasant.

I was wondering, if anyone else heading down from, say, the DFW area fancied taking the "scenic" route.

On an alternative note, my Wife is really keen to go horse riding at the resort.

a. Will any one else (or their significant other) be doing this?

b. I guess that Friday would be the best day for her to do this whilst I (We) are off at the Airport, correct?? If not when would be best?

Doh! just read event Schedule.

Dr. W,

Allot of participants have taken Thursday at one time or another, usually afternoons for a horse back trip.

The resort offers golf, horseback riding, a great spa, shooting and more.

http://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/ for more info.

Family can take advantage of these opportunities with the resort any day they are there and often do if they chose to do so in lieu of another activity.

Another opportunity is river running on the Rio Grande - there are 3 great outfitters in Terlingua who run the river if anyone is interested let me know for more info. This would best be done a day early or staying a day longer. I can arrange for you to have the same event room either early or late if you do not want to change rooms. Again, just let me know.

34 days!

David

Thanks David,

(please call me Stewart!).

Is it best to book activities like the riding in advance, or is it typically available on a walk up basis?

Stewart,

I would book in advance. 432-424-5000 for the resort.

Look forward to meeting you soon.

David

Dan,

Excellent news!!! :peelout: this will be a blast!

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon here in Terlingua! Will have drinks, snacks, registration materials, goodie bags, auction items to show off, cars, friends, and the amazing Terlingua scenery and roads! B)

But first, we gather for the pre-event kickoff in the Gateway of Alpine, TX! So looking forward to seeing everyone start to roll into town!

32 days to go! :yahoo:

David

moonshine_still.jpg

Now thats what I am talking about!!! :rockon::drool: B)

Bring on that fine shine Mr Carter! :woot: +

Counting down the days!

Way to go Dan - driving the Shelby to Terlingua - awesome! Have fun.

Caravans start rolling in 31 days - woohoo! :yahoo:

David

Going to get the 40th out of storage this weekend and start prepping her for Terlingua :yahoo: .

No trailer queen this time..........we're driving the Shelby to Texas :shift:

Cool I think I have seen only pictures of the 40th. Have a fun drive.

Lisa and I will be in Las Cruses on the 1st to over night. We are planing on dinner at http://www.pecangrill.com/Menus.html . It is our second anniversary that day and the restaurant's pork chops look good.

Tip for the 40th "lost of pig spit will keep the pig you know off"

Lisa and I will be in Las Cruses on the 1st to over night. We are planing on dinner at http://www.pecangrill.com/Menus.html . It is our second anniversary that day and the restaurant's pork chops look good.

Hey Guys congrats on the second anniversary!!!!

Terlingua here we come, right back where we started from!

Good times, friends and memories and new ones coming. :yahoo:

See you soon,

David

Great tip..................thanks Glen :rockon:

Maybe this year Michael can serenade us with a special recording of "Speedometer needle and the damage done". Lol

Polaris is getting fluids changed, RV is in good hands getting MANY things looked at with JT, and scooters have been making daily drives around the 'hood.

Archived