TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350 Vert in South Austin

Now this is just my opinion, but I think SAI lost a great opportunity to resurrect the GT350 moniker with the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. And now with Ford planning a 2016 "Mustang GT350" in the spirit of the original Shelby GT350, these cars seem less relevant. I'm sure they are great cars and exclusive due to the involvement of Carroll himself, but they are TOO exclusive. There's hardly any awareness of them by the general population and combined with the outrageous price, very few will have any opportunity to connect with it and create stories/memories of it.

And now with Ford planning a 2016 "Mustang GT350" in the spirit of the original Shelby GT350, these cars seem less relevant.

I would be interested in how Ford will make these "in the spirit of the "original" GT350". Guess you mean the '65 or maybe just the R model?, before they got fat and full of creature comforts? That's a laugh, Ford won't do that at all.

I'm sure they are great cars and exclusive due to the involvement of Carroll himself, but they are TOO exclusive. There's hardly any awareness of them by the general population and combined with the outrageous price, very few will have any opportunity to connect with it and create stories/memories of it.

Gosh, back in 1965 I remember people saying the same thing about the "new" GT350. I never saw a GT350 until the mid 1970s., and those were mostly the fat and comfy ones.... not the race ready '65s, I didn't see those until the '80s.... :hysterical:

Now this is just my opinion, but I think SAI lost a great opportunity to resurrect the GT350 moniker with the 2007-2008 Shelby GT. And now with Ford planning a 2016 "Mustang GT350" in the spirit of the original Shelby GT350, these cars seem less relevant. I'm sure they are great cars and exclusive due to the involvement of Carroll himself, but they are TOO exclusive. There's hardly any awareness of them by the general population and combined with the outrageous price, very few will have any opportunity to connect with it and create stories/memories of it.

Somewhere there is a quote from Carroll himself stating that they waited for new 5.0 Coyote motor to be developed. I'm good with the man's decision to wait. The car is just a touch more than a yawn...

Last year when I began thinking of getting a Shelby, I really wanted to get the GT350. I liked everything except the some of the cosmetic features, those being the exhaust and the hood. Everything else I wanted.

With the options included on my GTS, other than the exhaust look and the hood, my GTS might qualify as being very GT350 like under the skin. It's not a yawner, though after driving it for 7K miles, I could use some increase in horsepower.

In some ways, given the uniqueness of mine, it may not fit perfectly into any SAI designation really. Which is OK with me.

When mine was completed, I was given the option to designate it as a GTS or a GT/SC on the stripes along the side of my car.

I went with the GTS moniker so as to keep the supercharger unadvertised to those on the street.

Last year when I began thinking of getting a Shelby, I really wanted to get the GT350. I liked everything except the some of the cosmetic features, those being the exhaust and the hood. Everything else I wanted.

With the options included on my GTS, other than the exhaust look and the hood, my GTS might qualify as being very GT350 like under the skin. It's not a yawner, though after driving it for 7K miles, I could use some increase in horsepower.

In some ways, given the uniqueness of mine, it may not fit perfectly into any SAI designation really. Which is OK with me.

When mine was completed, I was given the option to designate it as a GTS or a GT/SC on the stripes along the side of my car.

I went with the GTS moniker so as to keep the supercharger unadvertised to those on the street.

Curious as to who offered you that option?

I've never heard of SAI installing 2007-08 GT/SC package rocker stripes on a 2012 GTS. This is significant enough to warrant some looking into as it doesn't make sense to me.

Steve

I was only offered the stripes on the side, not the registration plate or anything.

The person no longer works there. That will give you enough to figure out who.

The guy was always good to me, kept me updated and made the experience special.

I have nothing but praise for him.

People come and go from the car business, nothing unusual there.

My only very minor disappointment was that SA wouldn't budge on the painted stripes the 2012 GT350 has and I was forced to get vinyl ones.

I understand the why part, but still.

The GT350 was the inspirational template for my build, being that supercharged GT350s are so cool and all.

It was just a matter of getting most all the GT350 specifications transfered over to my GTS build, and presto, pretty much a supercharged GT350 in a GTS skin.

It's the look of the rear end with the side by side centered exhaust. I just could not deal with it.

But I really wanted everything else the GT350 had and offered. If i had waited, I could have done a 2014 GT350 which has the rear end look I wanted. I had no way of knowing they would change it at the time I ordered my car.

Yeah, I had to pay more, no doubt about that. If you add in the price of the GT Premium base car, everything came out just shy of 88K.

Was it worth it?

Yes.

Do I need even more horsepower?

I originally planned things so as to be able to say no. A year out from completion, yes, I need more. I can handle more.

Part of my problem is that I reside at 5,000 feet.

Kind of sad that the GT350 is being discontinued.

Got it, thanks. Yes, I like the rear of my 2013 better than the GT350 was before, but I really like the hood better than anything else in the Ford/SAI lineup. I waited for the wide body, and I am at 7000 feet but still think the 624HP is all I need. They offered 720 before I picked it up, but I don't need that, still happy with 624, but it feels like less than my ZR1 at 638HP, and more than 14HP difference. I think it is the old school push rod V8 long stroke vs. a DOHC, 32 valve design in the Coyote. More low end torque and launch with the old school engine it seems to me.

What were the mods to increase the HP to 720?

I wanted a 2012 in part for the year CS passed away. So the 13 GT350 was out even if I had known about the changes to the rear end

The more I look at the hoods of the GT350s, the more I like them.

Pulleys, intake boxes, tweaks, and tune it seems. And they are illegal in pollution issue areas (attainment zones), so SoCal, NorCal, and big cities with emissions inspections are out. I live in a rural area with no inspections of any kind. I also waited until '13 so I could get Grabber Blue in a GT350. In 2012 they only had three colors I think, and I didn't like any of them. I think my hood is the best there is in Mustang/Shelby land, the GT500 SVT looks pretty bad, IMO, I see why people want the SuperSnake hood.

My Whipple has a 9lb pulley. At this altitude I have lost 2lbs of boost and am pushing 7lbs.

I am thinking I can swap out to an 11lb pulley that will push the 9lbs at altitude and equal what this Whipple was designed for.

But I am not a mechanic. I am looking for an easy way to regain power lost at this altitude.

And now with Ford planning a 2016 "Mustang GT350" in the spirit of the original Shelby GT350, these cars seem less relevant.

I would be interested in how Ford will make these "in the spirit of the "original" GT350". Guess you mean the '65 or maybe just the R model?, before they got fat and full of creature comforts? That's a laugh, Ford won't do that at all.

I'm sure they are great cars and exclusive due to the involvement of Carroll himself, but they are TOO exclusive. There's hardly any awareness of them by the general population and combined with the outrageous price, very few will have any opportunity to connect with it and create stories/memories of it.

Gosh, back in 1965 I remember people saying the same thing about the "new" GT350. I never saw a GT350 until the mid 1970s., and those were mostly the fat and comfy ones.... not the race ready '65s, I didn't see those until the '80s.... :hysterical:

you might want to crack open a new car magazine. chevy is doing exactly that with the new Z28. ford is expected to do the same with the 2016 GT350...naturally-aspirated, high-revving, high-horsepower, lightened, track-ready car. that's pretty much the spirit of the original, in my opinion.

you might want to crack open a new car magazine. chevy is doing exactly that with the new Z28. ford is expected to do the same with the 2016 GT350...naturally-aspirated, high-revving, high-horsepower, lightened, track-ready car. that's pretty much the spirit of the original, in my opinion.

I'll believe it when I see it. A manual tranny only, no A/C, no nav, no SYNC version. IMO, the new Z28 (or ZL1) is far from the original idea, if you knew the original that is. Maybe you should take in a SAAC national sometime and drive one of those '65s, then tell me if the SVT version is in that spirit.

ah for christ sake, i have been in a '65 Shelby GT350 clone not long ago (with no A/C, a carbureted, hi-output 289 and 4-speed) and i grew up around plymouth dusters, barracudas, camaros from the late 60's. all i am saying is that word on the street is the 2016 mustang will have a GT350 nameplate that is expected to be a track-ready car stripped of non-essentials and NO MORE supercharger. who cares if it has AC or if it is exactly like the old cars, which are rosier in hindsight than they really were at the time.

Sorry, I have no way of knowing what all you have had or ridden in. Just trying to figure out why a guy who owns a new GT500 version comes all the way over to the Shelby GT350 area, yawns at our cars, calls them irrelevant, and then proceeds to tell us the new SVT GT350 will be in the "spirit of the original". I never go over to the new GT500 area, I have no interest in them at all, just wondering why you are so interested in our cars.

I'm no expert at all but isn't Ford already 90% plus on the way there with the current Boss 302?

They could just keep building those and find ways to lighten it, maybe restyle it. Instead, it seems like Ford is dropping the Boss name and going with GT350?

A Ford GT350 seems a bit redundant, or at least merely dropping one name for another.

Am I missing something?

A year from now, watch this thing flip where Ford does a GT350 and Shelby American brings back the GT500 monicker.

You could be right, but going back to the '69-'70 period, Shelby was sick and tired of Ford gussying up his cars with A/C, P/S, P/B, 8-tracks, etc. So he quit, went to Africa to hunt big game, and Ford was left to hire a Corvette guy and have him design an SCCA race car they could sell a few of on the street, the Boss 302 was born. Not a Shelby, but a great car. So what is better, the Shelby GT350 or the Ford Boss 302? Both great cars, neither should be redundant or "irrelevant", both can stand as great cars, it is not a zero sum game, no reason to bash a current GT350, as some GT500 envy owners want to do. Isn't there a place for both, and even a Mach 1 thrown in, now? I think so, just bring 'em on! :happy feet:

You could be right, but going back to the '69-'70 period, Shelby was sick and tired of Ford gussying up his cars with A/C, P/S, P/B, 8-tracks, etc. So he quit, went to Africa to hunt big game, and Ford was left to hire a Corvette guy and have him design an SCCA race car they could sell a few of on the street, the Boss 302 was born. Not a Shelby, but a great car. So what is better, the Shelby GT350 or the Ford Boss 302? Both great cars, neither should be redundant or "irrelevant", both can stand as great cars, it is not a zero sum game, no reason to bash a current GT350, as some GT500 envy owners want to do. Isn't there a place for both, and even a Mach 1 thrown in, now? I think so, just bring 'em on! :happy feet:

well said.

Eventually I would like to do a GT500 SS to go with what I have

My garage ceiling height would accomodate a double stack lift for storage.

One day, one day.

Archived