TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint heat extractor?

Chris2dog

Hi,

Has anyone had their heat extractor painted? I really don't like the plastic and I am considering having it painted.

My car is Kona blue, stripe delete, so I'm not sure if I should go with blue or black. Any opinions?

I think a good paint job would be nice. I think the color choice would be the hard part to figure out. The the options that I think would look best would either be a color match to the paint, matte black, or gloss black. I would have to se what each of these actually looked like on the car before I could decide.

Always thought the heat extractor looked cheap.

It's been on the car since 8 March 2012.

Bought an extra extractor, took it & a sample of the stripes to a local body shop. If I get tired of it, just put the stock one back in. There is a guy on another site that painted his to match his Grabber Blue / black stripe paint scheme.

5Jan2013picrun010.jpg

20130716_181331_zps8b6c62f2.jpg

Like the Red, but still think Gloss Black is how I'd go in this particular application. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about color matching this day and age using any paint professional who's worth even the slightest damn.

So I went to the body shop and they recommended I try to get a replacement extractor that is "paint grade" - they say the smooth surface would be preferable to the textured one that's on the car now. If not, I can have mine painted, they would smooth it down a bit first but they really want a smooth one to paint. So I guess I'll look to see if a smooth extractor exists, if not have him paint mine - everyone's pictures look great, I'm assuming they are the original textured extractors. Sounds like he's being overly cautious, but this shop came highly recommended....

Chris,

Buy a replacement extractor and have that one painted. The paint has a better chance of sticking properly to a new one than to your existing one. You'll also have the benefit of approving the job before you're stuck with a hole in your hood...

• 1 month later...

Finally got it done (actually 3 wks ago now) - really happy with it! Went with gloss black. Also had the fog light bulbs changed to the LED's, big improvement.

Question: Had a monsoon rainstorm this afternoon, had to drive home from work in it - would have driven the old 5.0 today if I had known the weather would get crazy, anyway when I was stopped in bumper to bumper, the steam was ROLLING out of the heat extractor! Never had that happen, but this was the hardest rain I have had the Shelby in also.

It looked like my car was on fire, very embarrasing...Has anyone experienced this???

• 3 months later...

I think you would have to be very careful painting the heat extractor because not all paints and primers are heat resistant and could cause a major problem with over heating. If the DIY or paint shop was not careful in the paint chosen it could melt, bubble and possibly cause a fire. I noticed the logo on the SA version and assumed SA took this into consideration even though the amount of paint used was minimal at best. Just my two cents worth.

I am considering painting the Radiator Cover, Fuse Box Cover and the Hood Heat Extractor right now and been trying to read everyone's post. I like the idea SVT NAJA had about buying an additional hood extractor and that is the way I am going to go. I also might consider buying an additional rad cover as well. Fuse box cover-no problem.

I want my car to be ready for the 50th and would hate to take these parts off car and then have them not be ready in time or have a problem that could put my plans in jeopardy as that would be awful and this way no matter what happens I can still drive down with the OEM parts.

Thanks for advice JS. The more I think and read about the process I am leaning towards having someone else do the work. I assume you are suggesting this type of paint should also be considered on the radiator cover since a lot of heat is generated under the hood as well?? If so then the same should be used on the fuse box cover to match.

I will do more research and discuss with whoever does the painting to make sure the process is correct and no problems will come of this in the future. Safety, longevity and of course quality to match is very important and having it done right the first time is important. Do not want to re-do again in the future.

Archived