TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Tires

I have no experience with them, but am considering the new Michelin Pilot Spot A/S 3. While I have no intention of driving the car through inclement weather, we get a significant number of sunny and dry (but cold) days throughout the winter months. These tires APPEAR well-suited to such use.

While not running them on a '13/'14 Shelby, this 2009 owner seems happy with them.

I am running Conti DWS 275 40 19 all seasons on 19 * 9 Ford Racing GT track wheels on all four corners. I never drive in snow, but do drive in below 40 degree weather. Excellent tires, plus you can rotate front to rear.

I have Pilot Super Sports on the factory 19" (275 40 19) and 20" (295 35 20) wheels for summer. Great tires. Those factory Goodyears are terrible.....

I need winter tires for my 2014 Shelby. 20" rear, 19" front. Any suggestions?

I too drive my 13 during the winter in Md. I drive only on clear days with no snow or salt, etc. Obviously, the factory summer tires are hockey pucks in temps less than 60 degrees. They are simply dangerous. There are about three best choices (my personal opinion) of "all season" tires for our specific cars: Continental DWS's, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (or the brand new A/S 3) and the tire I currently ride on , the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus. All are excellent tires and give you the necessary stopping and accelerating power needed to drive in cooler temps. It's more a financial decision. I have the DWS's on my Ford Fusion and the wife's BMW 535I and they are outstanding and extremely competent in wet conditions. I went with the Toyo's because of price, and they matched the front size and even though the rears are 275/35/20's, they have the same tread width as the supposedly larger stock 285/35/20 Goodyears. The Toyo's are great tires; quiet, and provide superior all weather traction, year round. I'm very pleased with them and highly recommend them.

Hey I ran the DWS on my Shelby Gt after doing a long research on them and actually drove in the snow and ice rain. They ran great total confidence you actually get great traction. But as in any cold weather you never relax but they will put some ease in driving.

Question on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports - do they throw pebbles/debris up onto the car as much as the Goodyears (under non spritied driving of course) - they tend to chip/seal around here annually and I am tired of hearing all the pebbles hit the car that the Goodyears throw up - even under very low speed 10-20 MPH.

Question on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports - do they throw pebbles/debris up onto the car as much as the Goodyears (under non spritied driving of course) - they tend to chip/seal around here annually and I am tired of hearing all the pebbles hit the car that the Goodyears throw up - even under very low speed 10-20 MPH.

First off, the MPSS's are a summer only tire. You'd have to get the A/S to obtain the all season compound. I know that the stock Goodyears once heated up in warm ambient temps are sticky, thus your complaint about throwing debris. Can't answer your question reference the Michelin summer only tires. I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's on my 07 and had no flying debris issues. The issue with picking up pebbles if a road is recently tarred/chip may not be unique to just the Goodyears, who knows?

My girl runs Cooper Weather-Master WSC's on her '11 Mustang GT through the snow with confidence but they only go to 18". They would be good if you bought another set of wheels to keep them on. I ran Dunlop Winter Sport SP 3D's on my '05 GT through the winter and drove through a foot of snow without issue. I now run Firestone Winterforce tires on my Thunderbird daily driver. These are all great winter tires, IMO.

Yes, the MPSS tires also pick up pepples...and anything else on the road. Since they are also "summer only" tires, the rubber compound is soft and picks stuff up. The A/S are different.

Last month, mine was punctured by a 3/8" flat end machine bolt...through the thickest part of the tread.

Luckily I heard it clicking with wheel rotation and had it patched and plugged.

post-38126-0-45798000-1377093707_thumb.jpg

post-38126-0-45798000-1377093707_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been reading that narrow tires are better in winter. Opinions?

You are correct. Physics 101. The all seasons are best for cold temps, as they don't become hockey pucks as do the summer only tires. Definitely don't want to drive our Shelby's in the snow. Tire Rack is great for giving you guidance on choices. Call them.

Archived