TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

I also have a KR hood for 3 years now and I love the look. I don't have a KR cloan I have a lightly modded GT500 with a KR hood and I'm very happy with the way it looks and performs.

I can relate. The lines of the KR hood are incredible and would look great on any Mustang. Of course I hope SAI maintains exclusivity to the best of their ability with what they can control or influence, for reasons that are obvious...but I do understand the desire by others to own that item.

Still stand by my opinion that any specifically-marked item for one vehicle does not look good on another. An order for blank 18" wheels would've been better for everyone.

Still do not have an "us and them" attitude towards GT500 owners either. My only beef is my opinion that SAI likely had the ability to influence this offering, but chose not to. For them to take no responsibility whatsoever shapes my perception of the way they do business and treat customers who buy their product.

Not to mention that the "no comment" thing is completely spineless. Those comments should have been offered on pages 1-3 when the first KR owners questioned it...LONG before I got involved with this thread.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have a 1 of 89 special edition too. Are you modding that?

I guess you have not checked out the other sections of this forum - Take a look at the "GT Discussion" section and then go to the topic "So you want to go racing ?"

Start at the beginning and look through .

And yes JDB I can make your KR handle better and ride nicer than how it came from the dealership .

Still stand by my opinion that any specifically-marked item for one vehicle does not look good on another.

JDB, that's where many part ways here. I suppose you are stuck if you are a KR owner. Do you preserve its authenticity? Or throw caution to the wind and make as many upgrades as you like - regardless of whether or not they can be removed in the future so that the car can be returned to its original state. As a plain Jane GT500 owner, I really don't care about the future. What is important to me is what I'd like to do now, in my lifetime. If I can indulge in a moment of self horn tooting...

I knew early on I wanted to debadge, destripe, dump the skyjacker suspension system, and pull the wheels.

_tazeme.jpg

Yanking the stripes was very liberating. There's actually a beautifully done paint job under all that vinyl. Buyfordracing had the KR suspension available for a time a few years ago at roughly the same price it is now. I didn't buy it because it was the much ballyhooed "KR" stuff - I simply bought it because it provided a mild drop front and rear, had better damping qualities than the OEM GT500 units did, and was made by Tokico. Same company made each system. And when the 2010 came out and the 19's were all the rage I jumped on a set of no mileage take off's. Definitely made the car better.

IMG_7730.jpg

Next season came and the '11 PP brought with it a nice set of 19/20's. Performance improvement over the previous hardware, no arguing that. I snagged a set with zero miles that Ford was using to showcase for the new model.

IMG_9626.jpg

I enjoyed those for a few hundred miles. Until the '13 hit. I've always been a fan of the '95R model wheel and as such was drawn to the simplicity of the base wheel. Same deal, found a set with I think 12 miles or so on them. I added FRPP hubs/ARP studs, Full Tilt Boogie Racing two piece floating hats/discs front and rear at the same time, along with a pair of FRPP relocation brackets.

IMG_1044_zps4adc52a8.jpg

As was mentioned by oldlugs at least once...the car is a blank canvas. Buying a specific model, such as a KR, tends to pigeon hole a bit. I'm not saying that in a negative way at all, just pure observation. I much prefer the freedom of a mod hungry vagabond with a side of good taste thrown in. So you'll have to excuse me, but for me, the KR wheels don't do much but limit performance to that of a few years ago. The finish is beautiful and I can respect the effort that both Ford and SAI put forth in having Alcoa produce them, however, I'd pass even if they were free.

And admittedly, I'm stuck now. As it appears that the '13/'14 is it for S197 development and early S550 photos indicate a different offset that probably won't work on earlier cars. So unless I'm willing to go custom, I'm dated now as well. Meh.

I guess you have not checked out the other sections of this forum -

And yes JDB I can make your KR handle better and ride nicer than how it came from the dealership .

Correct, I only hang in the GT500KR section, sometimes browse the GT500 section.

But...I don't want it better.

As a plain Jane GT500 owner...

Unfortunately, that reinforces what I said waaaay back at the beginning: that GT500's should be considered special (and by adding KR parts, it dilutes the specialness of the GT500). Feel free to look back if you'd like.

Perhaps the bigger problem is that there are too many GT500's in this era, and they are as you say, plain jane.

IMHO, I would have started with a base model or GT and gone nuts with it. Your car does look sick though, except for the absence of the stickers. My $.02

I suppose you are stuck if you are a KR owner. Do you preserve its authenticity?

I am, and I do.

The 20" wheels would be acceptable option IMHO because that's how the car debuted at the auto show. However, they would have to be blanks (or GT500KR-engraved prototypes). Super Snake or Fifty Years would give me that weird feeling of something being not quite right, but that's just my OCD kicking in.

• 1 month later...

I will laugh when people start taking a bath with this stuff. People, here's a clue...even though it's a rare item, there is an extremely limited market.

FWIW, a set of 4 still-new 20" non-SS non-50-years Alcoa wheels sold on eBay at no-reserve, with no inflated shipping cost, for $2,091.60 on October 1, 2013. IMHO these should be the most valuable wheels b/c they are generic to any Shelby model, and sold out. But guess what...the market is not there. This stuff isn't as valuable as some people think it is. The value is $2100...not $3,000...not $3,500...

Of course, there will be a few people who want to fake-the-funk and put KR wheels on a non-KR, but thankfully most people out there realize that it takes away from a car rather than adds.

I will laugh when people start taking a bath with this stuff. People, here's a clue...even though it's a rare item, there is an extremely limited market.

FWIW, a set of 4 still-new 20" non-SS non-50-years Alcoa wheels sold on eBay at no-reserve, with no inflated shipping cost, for $2,091.60 on October 1, 2013. IMHO these should be the most valuable wheels b/c they are generic to any Shelby model, and sold out. But guess what...the market is not there. This stuff isn't as valuable as some people think it is. The value is $2100...not $3,000...not $3,500...

Of course, there will be a few people who want to fake-the-funk and put KR wheels on a non-KR, but thankfully most people out there realize that it takes away from a car rather than adds.

Man you sure know how to bring a pissed off skunk to a party don't you?

I have a real KR. I have a spare set of real KR wheels. I will not be ashamed to put my spare set of real KR wheels on a spare GT500; preferably a '07-'09 convertible. No worries; I won't badge the convertible as a KR. :)

Yawn, this is just beyond ridiculous at this point. I guess I'm too dense to understand what it matters if someone wants to clone a GT500KR. Those that own one, (myself included) did absolutely nothing special, we simply paid for the car. I guess I could understand how you would have a dog in the fight if you provided input into the program, but I doubt this is the case for most of us. We don't have ownership in the GT500KR program and only own a result of the program, a GT500KR. Shelby American has decided to release several KR parts from their inventory, who cares? It is after all their program and they own the parts. They owe us KR owners absolutely nothing.

On a final note, I think the GT500KR parts (especially the wheels) look great on a GT500. Flame away...not that it matters much.

Who said you have to have ownership in the GT500KR program to have an opinion?

Shelby American has decided to release several KR parts from their inventory, who cares? It is after all their program and they own the parts. They owe us KR owners absolutely nothing.

I care, and I'm willing to bet there are other KR owners who care too.

SAI decided as a business decision to make their parts exclusive, and to market (and profit from) as such from this. I did not invent this. They did. They reaped the financial benefit from this method, and now pay the price with frustrated customers who feel betrayed by their disingenuous business practice.

I also find it comical that they have sheeple customers who preach "poor Shelby" (as if hurting for money) and that they couldn't come up with $40,000 to buy out the KR wheels all the while they are moving into the Taj Mahal.

ALL of that could be water under the bridge with a proper response...which costs nothing.

ALL of that could be water under the bridge with a proper response...which costs nothing.

Get this through your head.....IT'S NONE OF YOUR FOOKIN' BUSINESS!!!

Your welcome,

Phill

• 1 month later...

Horrible wheel packaging...

I found an old picture of my replica LX sport wheels in their boxes. NOTE the heavy cardboard wrapped around the rim. It took several minutes to get the wheels out of those boxes.

P5030021.jpg

I registered just to post this, I actually came here due to the cobra trans picture. I am contemplating a manual swap for my 2004 Merc Marauder!!

We recently received a call from our friends at Alcoa – it seems they found 100 brand new 20”X9” Shelby Forged wheels in storage there, and asked us what they should do with them.

We decided that the best thing we could do is...

Jer

That's exactly what I've been saying from the start about how this went down...right up to the point where it was decided the "best thing" to do was.

That's exactly what I've been saying from the start about how this went down...right up to the point where it was decided the "best thing" to do was.

Please do not edit my quotes or post out-of-thread with them unless relevant. Thank you.

Jer

Maybe you should remove the strike-out capability...or restrict cross-thread quotes?

The reality is that the subject matter is relevant. Whether you like that I quoted you or not does not change the fact that you said something, and I commented on it.

But better yet, you could take this opportunity to explain why SAI did not use their 50% influence to make a concerted attempt to maintain exclusivity for KR owners on this particular item.

Maybe you should remove the strike-out capability...or restrict cross-thread quotes?

The reality is that the subject matter is relevant. Whether you like that I quoted you or not does not change the fact that you said something, and I commented on it.

But better yet, you could take this opportunity to explain why SAI did not use their 50% influence to make a concerted attempt to maintain exclusivity for KR owners on this particular item.

John,

Unbranded Alcoa-manufactured Shelby 20" wheels are completely irrelevant to Shelby-designated Restricted parts like KR 18" wheels. Shelby American did not resell KR wheels on the open market, as I have clearly stated earlier. As a company, we still require KR ownership for purchase from us, and we maintain a supply of these for KR owners with damage issues (despite the warranty period on these cars' expiry). Ford Racing is a separate company that chose to sell their inventory, regardless of geographic location.

Strikeout HTML code is never to be used in quoting an earlier post by Shelby staff. Its AVAILABILITY is not the question, intent IS. Disingenuous, at best. The public argument you are attempting to incite from our company will not occur because you want it to, it is simply not in the best service of our intentions for this forum. Furthermore, this is a site wholly-sponsored by Shelby American, and your participation here is solely at Shelby American's discretion.

If you have any additional questions, my long-standing offer STILL stands: Call me at (702)-942-7325 X143. Without direct phone contact from you, I will consider this matter closed, and handle it as such.

Thank you,

Jer

You can try to spin it all you want, but the net result is KR owners who feel Shelby did not do all they could to preserve exclusivity on this item. If Shelby has multiple owners of their product who believe that SAI could have done a better job, then maybe a little damage control would be a proactive measure. My $.02

As for the internet forum do's and don'ts, I appreciate the pointers but this isn't my first forum and I am pretty well versed on what is fair game. I'm pretty sure that you are well aware that not everyone spreads sunshine either. But the solution is actually simple: a truthful official response would clear up this matter.

You can try to spin it all you want, but the net result is KR owners who feel Shelby did not do all they could to preserve exclusivity on this item. If Shelby has multiple owners of their product who believe that SAI could have done a better job, then maybe a little damage control would be a proactive measure. My $.02

As for the internet forum do's and don'ts, I appreciate the pointers but this isn't my first forum and I am pretty well versed on what is fair game. I'm pretty sure that you are well aware that not everyone spreads sunshine either. But the solution is actually simple: a truthful official response would clear up this matter.

John,

No "spin" needed. We did do all we could. And that was a post I made VERY early on. As for "pointers", I know it isn't your first forum, and you don't know that. Anything else I can help you with?

I really appreciate your loyalty to the brand and your insights,

Jer Gervasi

Vice President

Shelby American

Former "HUTCH USA BMX Factory Team Rider"

We did do all we could. And that was a post I made VERY early on.

Jer

Why don't you quote yourself and show us exactly where you said you "did all you could" VERY early on. I know this thread pretty well and I don't remember seeing that.

And so now you're using private info from my profile or KR registry to personally attack me? That's a brilliant move Jer. Maybe you should read up on the Cracker Barrel meltdown before you go there. Maybe you'll find better judgement and edit your post.

John, no tricks here. I don't have a private "registry", that would be too easy ...

As I posted, call me with real business to discuss, otherwise we are wrapped up on this topic.

Jer

Jer......I had a Hutch BMX bike as a kid it was all white and I loved it but my favorite bike was the PK RIPPER that I owned until it was stolen.....Man I wish I still had the PK RIPPER.

Weird thing as well I grew up in a town called Hutchinson but we all called it Hutch.

JDB......Its always funny to me how people get all worked up over things they can't control. I am learning this lesson the hard way it does me no good to get angry over things that I can't change or control. My advice to you is let it go and don't sweat the really small stuff in life. There are much bigger things to worry about in life than stupid rims. Imagine if you lost the entire car somehow or someway it does actually happen to people......or if you lost a loved one or a pet or if you were recently diagnosed with cancer. I am just trying to help you put things in perspective that rims do not really matter in the big picture of life.

Yawn, this is just beyond ridiculous at this point. I guess I'm too dense to understand what it matters if someone wants to clone a GT500KR. Those that own one, (myself included) did absolutely nothing special, we simply paid for the car. I guess I could understand how you would have a dog in the fight if you provided input into the program, but I doubt this is the case for most of us. We don't have ownership in the GT500KR program and only own a result of the program, a GT500KR. Shelby American has decided to release several KR parts from their inventory, who cares? It is after all their program and they own the parts. They owe us KR owners absolutely nothing.

On a final note, I think the GT500KR parts (especially the wheels) look great on a GT500. Flame away...not that it matters much.

I do not own one, but I could not agree more, it is a car for gods sake, calm down. How long do you expect them to hold on to the extra wheels? It is not like they are manufacturing them, these were extras. I personally would not buy them just because they say KR, but if someone else wants to pretend they have a KR when they do not that is a Compliment to those that do.

One other thing SAI does not owe anyone an explanation, some of you crack me up.

Jer, how did you get my private info? And why do you attempt to intimidate me with it?

What's private?

Something you post on an Internet forum?

Jer

I never disclosed that info publicly on Team Shelby. There would be no way of you knowing that info unless you unscrupulously ascertained it from a private source.

So I ask again Jer, how did you get my private info? And why would you attempt to intimidate me with it?

Archived