TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

That's a HUGE assumption on your part.

And even IF they knew, do you think they have the capitol to buy up all of Ford's excess inventory (wheels, suspension, etc. etc. etc.)?

Absolutely it is. I agree. But my assumption is reinforced by Shelby's obvious avoidance to respond in this thread.

If Mike at Ford Racing Parts can answer the phone every time it rings and have instant capital to buy half of the lot, then yes, I would assume that a company like Shelby has similar financial horsepower.

Even if they didn't, I would be perfectly fine with this answer from Jer: "Hey John, we knew about it, tried to make the #'s work, but it just didn't pan out. We would've loved to step in and extend that exclusivity that we offer on our stock over to that Ford Racing stock, but it just wasn't financially possible. The lot was bigger than what our company could manage, both for cost and logistics. We'll continue to do the best we can with the remaining KR stock on our end, including the remaining wheels, hoods, badges, and stickers".

BOOM, done!

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelby's silence on this is troubling. No?

My understanding was the wheels had to be obtained from Shelby. Not your Ford dealer or FRPP.

Look, I don't care at this point. The horse is out of the barn. 400 sets of "exclusive" KR wheels have been dumped into the market.

I would have thought that Ford/FRPP and/or Shelby would have given KR owners more consideration than this. They could have made the sale exclusive to KR owners for 30 or 45 days then opened it up to the general public.

Too late now.

Sigh.

Ya know, even my answer "from Jer" is incomplete. Shelby took deposits and basically pre-sold the entire Fifty Years batch with very little risk or cash outlay to them. The deposit was probably most or even all of the order cost to Alcoa!

It is almost incomprehensible why Shelby and Ford Racing couldn't have worked together and given KR owners 30 days like Real One said. Basically no different than Shelby's pre-sale of Fifty Years (in terms of financial capital to buy the lot).

Pfft, whatever.

If Mike at Ford Racing Parts can answer the phone every time it rings and have instant capital to buy half of the lot, then yes, I would assume that a company like Shelby has similar financial horsepower.

Mike @ BuyFordRacing is in the business of selling PARTS, and ONLY parts (not upfitting a number of different model cars).

He bought the KR Alcoa wheels to sell to the General Public/GP, not to put them on the shelves in a warehouse and save them for the 1500+ KR owners out there, but only for when they *might* need them in the near and distant future.

There's a BIG difference between him and SA.

You're demanding that SA buy them and store them away for you. That's just WAY too much money to have sitting on a shelf for God knows how long.

Phill

Shelby's silence on this is troubling. No?

My understanding was the wheels had to be obtained from Shelby. Not your Ford dealer or FRPP.

Look, I don't care at this point. The horse is out of the barn. 400 sets of "exclusive" KR wheels have been dumped into the market.

I would have thought that Ford/FRPP and/or Shelby would have given KR owners more consideration than this. They could have made the sale exclusive to KR owners for 30 or 45 days then opened it up to the general public.

Too late now.

Sigh.

You keep talking about 400 sets. That is 1600 wheels, yes? Where did you get that number from? there is no way that there were 1600 "extra" wheels from the KR program. I'm not sure but that number sounds way off to me. Also, I don't think that there are 400 buyers out there for this wheel and they sure sold out fast. When I ordered mine there were two sets left. I made a few phone calls and poof, they were gone too.

You're demanding that SA buy them and store them away for you. That's just WAY too much money to have sitting on a shelf for God knows how long.

Phill

Not only did Mike sell all 200 in less than 30 days, he sold them all in less time than Shelby gave for pre-sales on the Fifty Years sets.

There was no need to stock anything...nor outlay any cash.

Not only did Mike sell all 200 in less than 30 days, he sold them all in less time than Shelby gave for pre-sales on the Fifty Years sets.

Now wait a minute. You're saying you don't/didn't want the wheels sold to the GP but you think it would'a been okay for Shelby to sell to the GP???

I'm confused.

Phill

I think you missing a big point. They sold out because there was no 'KR Owner only' limitation. If they did have this limitation that these things would be sitting on the shelves (Remember they sat since they tried to sell them to KR owners a few years ago).

You bitch that they shouldn't of sold them to the general public but the KR people didn't step up. Then you expect whoever to just sit on then, so when/if you need then they should be available and then to top it off you bitch about the markup.

So I assuming in your reality there are also unicorns who shoot cotton candy rainbow out their arse, and would bet a few leprechauns riding yetis would also exist in your made-up reality, but in the everyone else’s reality this doesn’t happen.

Now wait a minute. You're saying you don't/didn't want the wheels sold to the GP but you think it would'a been okay for Shelby to sell to the GP???

I'm confused.

Phill

You bitch that they shouldn't of sold them to the general public but the KR people didn't step up.

There were only 100 sets.

If Shelby had said to KR owners first: "Ford Racing wants to dump their entire inventory, but we (Shelby) have arranged for a 30-day offer to KR owners first. Price is $1,000/set shipped, and any that do not sell will be sold to the general public."

I think you would've seen the 7% of the KR owners step up and buy a set. If not, then there's no way any KR owners can bitch because they had their chance and didn't take it.

Shelby did not provide that opportunity when they probably could have. Not only that, they would've made money. Isn't that what business is about?

Shelby did not provide that opportunity when they probably could have.

Umm, they did exactly that ~2 years ago.

Did you see the link someone posted to Robert Lane's announcement, offering KR wheel & tires to KR owners??

Phill

That was Shelby's stock...not Ford Racing's stock. Right?

I don't know, I can only assume.

From what someone here said (you perhaps?), FRPP got them from SA. So.....<?shrug?>

Phill

...removed

What Dubb ? What ? Too much chilli ? Need a TUMS or a "Snickers" bar ?

OK I'll say it - I think that JDB and svt13 are related ! Thriving for attention ( ohh look it has over 10,000 views - this must be a good debate )

Chowder or Chilli - doesn't matter which - either one must have an adequate amount of BACON in it to be GOOD ! AS usual - JMO

Oh , just a side note to those who bought the KR wheels;

You might want to check the date codes on the supplied TPM Sensors on your wheels since the internal battery ( they're a transmitter ) only has a 5-7 year life expectancy.

Just because they have been sitting doesn't mean that they don't age . :drop:

Thought that I would bring that up . :stirpot:

I just went through and pulled out some highlights.

What's confusing Phill? This guy is an obvious troll, or a total idiot. DubbsFaris

So I assuming in your reality there are also unicorns who shoot cotton candy rainbow out their arse, and would bet a few leprechauns riding yetis would also exist in your made-up reality, but in the everyone else’s reality this doesn’t happen. Cobra99

Hey JDB, Just letting you know that I'm tired of hearing you cry like a baby, so I'm going out to clean my kr wheels on my 08 gt500. Ed the Pose. edgoods

I couldn't have said better myself!! Please don't let this turn into a Corvette Club forum. Ed. edgoods

I'm gonna go clone my car into a KR :yahoo: 07SGT4578

Yup. You've been asleep through much of this thread. Wake up and smell the coffee. Cloneville serves up the freshest! Tob

These discussions are not personal and it is usually a bit of a letdown when some take it as such. Tob

The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case. Tob

If you feel "bashed" then I can only suggest some sensitivity training may be in order. The word "bash" is like pulling the race card, so please, let's not go there. Tob

From what someone here said (you perhaps?), FRPP got them from SA. So.....<?shrug?>

Phill

'shelbymotorsports', on 06 Jul 2010 - 7:59 PM, said:

Any restricted parts sales will always be scrutinized by the Shelby community.

Steve

I guess Steve was wrong. Only 3 or 4 people felt the need to scrutinize the sale of this restricted part and the rest of the Shelby community jumped down their throats.

It’s tough being the KING. :slapfight::slapfight: <Edit had to add those guys

You might want to check the date codes on the supplied TPM Sensors on your wheels since the internal battery ( they're a transmitter ) only has a 5-7 year life expectancy.

Just because they have been sitting doesn't mean that they don't age . :drop:

Thought that I would bring that up . :stirpot:

It was always my understanding that the sensors were in sleep mode and thus not transmitting (hence extending life) until being activated via their accelerometer or otherwise. Battery life is supposed to be between 7 and ten years.

All are small, lightweight microelectromechanical sensor (MEMS) devices that contain sensor elements on an integrated circuit and contain a built-in nonserviceable lithium-ion battery that lasts seven to ten years.

Interesting read on them here.

Tob,

Thanks , I stand corrected 7 to 10 years.

I just mention it because I've run across a couple on 2007 - 08's that have gone bad/dead and had customers request putting in a full set . Thanks for posting the 2009 Motor magazine article . I like that Ford has gone away from the band type TPMS nowadays.

Yup. They can spin and cause the wheel to go out of balance. The valve stem or "snap-in" style are a welcome improvement.

Then again, I've yet to swap out the incompatible sensors I have in the 2013 base wheel set I'm currently running. Hitting the reset button gets old mighty quick.

Yawn...

Thread is getting boring now that Tob has been stirring less shiznit up.

Wish he owned some base model '80s Dodge pickup. We could tell him that someone in the Mopar Shelby section was torqued off that Chrysler dumped a cache of NOS Shelby Dakota parts. Yee haw! Get 'em Tob!

If'n he's not careful 'bout all the clicks he's bringing here, they'll be making him supermod or superadmin. Happy days for forum vendors here we come!

Speaking of this becoming a Corvette forum, I'd pay some serious bitcoins to see some of Tobs finest 'lets disagree to disagree with big words I learned in class' behavior on the Z forums. Yee Haw. Get 'em again Tob!

You wrote what most have been thinking. Thanks Phill.

Skype. That explains it.

All this unnecessary drivel. What would you do with your half after having had sat on boxes full of KR parts and pallets full of KR wheels for a number of years? If SAI so wished to purchase Ford's inventory just so that they could now sit on them (alongside the stock they already have collecting dust and tying up potential working capital) they could have. I suppose Monday morning quarterbacking is so much more entertaining than when done live on Sunday.

Oh, the KR pallets you ask...

KRwheelpallet.jpg

Look, there is no bigger Shelby proponent than me. I love Shelbys. I have since I was a kid. I was likely their only proponent years ago and really the only one sticking up for them on another site touting itself as the worlds largest "non biased" Cobra site when Continuation Cobra trashing was at a fever pitch and in the years of the FFR SAI lawsuits. I never asked or expected a thank you from SAI. However, as a loyal and faithful Shelby fan and as a fan who even got his son into loving Shelbys and who also now owns his own SGT and tracks it often ...please don't piss on my head and tell me its honey.

The silence by SAI on this HIGHLY viewed thread on KR's is deafening as it pertains to this issue. A number of years ago SAI was getting ready to make the KR wheels available to the public with some other KR items. I had a discussion with Mr. Sorrell and pointed out to him this would be wrong for many reasons especially since it was made clear to KR owners and the world (if I remember) that SAI was protecting the exclusivity of KR specific parts and that keeping your word was important for many reasons to customers and even subsequent owners of these cars.

First, above the photograph, assuming it accurately depicts a pallet of KR wheels (which in all fairness there are issues with it such as: we can't see or can't see where it is; how it got there or even who put the sticker on it; who made the sticker/where did it come from; or that they are even KR wheels, etc..) but just assuming the photo is accurate it clearly would tend to indicate that both SAI and Ford had an ownership or other "possessory interest" in the wheels beginning at some point and logically starting from time of manufacture.

This would tend to indicate that SAI knew or likely knew or should have known or had the right to know about this current dump of KR wheels on the market unless FRPP just ignored SAI's 50% interest in the wheels and decided to just dump them without notice to SAI. I didn't see SAI saying this. Did I miss it???

How does KonaBlue know for sure Ford just happened to have a stock of these wheels? I'm not saying they didn't. I don't know but I would like to know how he knows beyond just speculating.

Yes, SAI did offer KR wheels to the KR owners years ago. I don't remember the price but I don't think they were offered at $1000.00 for a set.

I had a conversation with Jer (I think I even sent the idea by way of email too) and Gary Patterson about a proposal to put together a high performance package to KR owners which would include providing an option to buy KR wheels at a great discount which would move many parts and likely more wheels off their shelves. This discussion occurred last year. Nothing ever came of it. Disappointed.

What does "warranty" have to do with this???? Ridiculous. If specific KR parts are supposed to be kept exclusive it has nothing to do with warranty. Did SAI ever say KR specific parts are exclusive "up through the end of the warranty period". I never heard that? Did anyone here? Please enlighten me.

Further, to my knowledge if you had a problem with your KR wheels you didn't go to your Ford dealer or FRPP. They are a Shelby part. Don't they say Shelby right on the wheel? Didn't you have to prove ownership and if the wheel was to be returned it was be returned first before you got your new wheel at the beginning before SAI made them available for purchase to KR owners ONLY? Yeah, I kinda remember that.

SAI could please clear this up and explain how and why this happened without leaving it's loyal customers and fans to sit and speculate. I'm still waiting.

Just because I love Shelby doesn't mean I am going to sit and drink whatever Koolaid is on the table regardless of who put it there. Doesn't mean I'm not going to be critical when its appropriate and I think its appropriate here. SAI can clear this up quickly. They haven't done so in over 400 posts on this thread. Has there ever been a KR thread with more activity other than years ago when the KR was coming out????

I am just very disappointed by this market dump of KR wheels. If SAI can explain they had nothing to do with it and couldn't stop it or tried to stop it or tried to at least put some time restrictions for KR owners to buy first or told KR owners about it if they knew it was going to happen or.......

Only SAI can extricate themselves from this and distance themselves by explanation. I would like them too and would like to afterward be able to conclude this was completely out of their control in any way. I'm waiting.

As to guys putting "KR" wheels on their "non KR's", candidly I don't get it. I'm not saying it's wrong, I just wouldn't want those wheels on my car if it wasn't a KR no matter how handsome the wheels were, and they are very handsome classy wheels. I think even more so than the more "blingy" 20" Alcoa wheels and so do many many others. I think in years to come they will be even more desireable to own than the 20s and are likely more desirable now. Kinda like original Halibrands. As hard to find as hen's teeth. The problem is if you don't have a KR the wheel has very conspicuously engraved "GT500KR" so why put it on your non KR? I wouldn't want it on my car that wasn't a KR but that's just me.

However, mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery so I therefore say thank you to those apparent many many guys that have bought KR wheels and put them on their cars. I am not being flip or sarcastic either. The wheel is a very handsome and classy wheel and looks great on the S197.

Nor do I begrudge guys who bought the KR wheels that don't have KRs. Hey, they were made available and you bought them with your hard earned money. You bought them fair and square. Enjoy them. Nor do I begrudge guys doing clones of KRs. Again, the KR is a very handsome and probably the best looking Shelby Mustang ever made together with the original GT500 and GT500KR and as I said mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery and I say this with all sincerity. Clone away guys.

Beyond the fact I am not really happy about this wheel dump as real KR owner (and I appreciate whoever clarified it was 400 wheels not sets, makes me feel a little better) I am happy to see that they were VERY popular and sold out in no time. I would have been more troubled had they been made available and sat around for years. Price obviously helped but still clearly guys with Mustangs love them. This does tend to indicate to me that genuine KRs in clean condition one day will become very desirable as the last pre-title Shelby with only 1500 in existence and only 180 in Vista Blue and 200 in Torch Red.

Maybe I will keep the KR anyway on reflection and hold off on the new Vipers to depreciate.

BTW what do you guys think of the new Viper????

Evan,

Don't confuse "Shelby is being silent" with "Shelby doesn't engage in Internet threads after they have become insulting, inflammatory, vulgar, or clearly just tabloid-style trash". Once a thread turns that way, I'm out.

You are welcome to call me anytime, your son has my number, is friends with me on Facebook, and we converse often. I'm currently helping him with my personal paint formula for the Shelby GT you're painting now.

This is not the only place to reach me, and is often not the best.

Jer

Archived