TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

and they owe you this information why? is it because you own a KR? pffft, give me a break, they do not owe you anything what so ever.

Actually, they do, because the program was based on exclusivity. No other program can be compared to the level of exclusivity that Shelby developed for the KR.

That level of exclusivity also generated the whopping $5m-$6m revenue for the 1,500+ vehicle build program. So if Shelby wants the revenue from marketing that exclusive program, then yes, they have to answer why they weren't able to maintain it now with the general sales of these wheels when, I say, they had the opportunity to do so.

As I stated, Shelby threw in the towel, and Jer's response was that I am painting a wide brush. So let's hear Jer's response if I'm so far off.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am happy the wheels are out. It gave me an opportunity to get a complete set plus a spare at a very good price. I am still at a loss as to how anyone could ever consider themselves part of an exclusive group simply because they own a KR. By my definition an exclusive group is comprised of people who earned a spot based upon personal sacrifice and by personal achievements, not by buying a car or any other object. I absolutely love everything about our GT500KR, but I also love to see others have the opportunity to have access to parts to make their car(s) just as special to them as the KR is to me, even if they were designed for the KR or SS program. So there you go, the towels been thrown in!

Actually, they do, because the program was based on exclusivity. No other program can be compared to the level of exclusivity that Shelby developed for the KR.

That level of exclusivity also generated the whopping $5m-$6m revenue for the 1,500+ vehicle build program. So if Shelby wants the revenue from marketing that exclusive program, then yes, they have to answer why they weren't able to maintain it now with the general sales of these wheels when, I say, they had the opportunity to do so.

As I stated, Shelby threw in the towel, and Jer's response was that I am painting a wide brush. So let's hear Jer's response if I'm so far off.

Actually they don't -

1) your not a share holder of Shelby American Inc.

2) Shelby American did not sell the wheels to the general public - Ford did ( KR owners can still purchase from SA )

3) Shelby American is not obligated to buy all of Ford's unwanted dead inventory even when it precludes to a partnered initial purchase .

Don't forget the BACON in that chowder !!!

I think I just figured it out. Are you one of those people that bought your car thinking that it was going to be an investment and that you would greatly profit when sold? If so, sorry to bust your bubble, but that is never gonna happen in your life time or mine.

Jer, on 11 Sept 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:snapback.png

could you post a copy of this letter?

twicebitten, before we get into this, let's be clear that we are not talking about two years ago. We are talking about a very specific decision to sell a very large lot of a single specific item by Ford Racing just a few weeks ago. Let's not muddy the waters or allow Shelby to turn on the spin-factor about non-relevant 2-year-old information that has nothing to do with current events.

Sometime in the last 8-10 weeks, I want to know how Shelby was informed about the decision to dump these wheels on the market, and why they decided not to be a part of it. The "we weren't aware" response just isn't going to cut it.

well I am trying to determine if I got a letter in my mail.not trying to muddy nothing.thats all.

I demand to know why Tob demands in his thinly veiled posts that Grabbers car be declared 'gay'! All the while, I'm sure, he is daydreaming of all of us sarcastically hugging him while he eats two "Snickers bars". :wub2:

Edited for grammatical style that aspires to the pedantic modeled by Tob. :headspin:

I'm not Jer but I think I can answer this.

If I recall correctly, Robert Lane posted the notice right here on the Team Shelby forums. I *think* I got a mailing on it too (e-mail, not snail mail).

Having said that, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Phill

thanks for helping out.i am thinking a letter in the mail box letter.

Yes, and I'll do my best to help you here. We get that you are sensitive about your purchase, "cloning" or otherwise. Me linking an 8 year old thread was in response to the general attitude that you have that if it went on a KR it can only be on a KR. In other words, you and your KR ilk are cloning my work. :rolleyes: Silly! The four year old thread was with respect to discovering (by way of oldlugs question) how the cover was done. And instead on wondering what my post history will show, take a look for yourself. If comprehension skills are within your reach, you'll see that this discussion has taken place in previous years.

Tim, quote for me any statement I made by which I directly implied that "parts are all that go into a KR." You won't find it. Your use of the word inference applies to you, not me. Again, if you want to have a philosophical discussion regarding intent and creation of the vehicle, then let's do it. Create a thread and lets hash it out.

My approach, as you word it, started as a response to "dilution, ooh's and aah's, bung's getting hurt" mixed in with a bit of revisionist history - witness Jer's responses. And I began my response to the matter with "The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case" as a retort and then provided some basic evidence that any claim that the KR doesn't share parts with other models and as such can be excluded from some sort of exclusive parts only model. It is simply not the case. Some parts are, some parts are not. That is all.

If you feel "bashed" then I can only suggest some sensitivity training may be in order. The word "bash" is like pulling the race card, so please, let's not go there.

Regarding the "fact" as you claim that someone "lied, miscommunicated, etc"...how have you determined this? Have you been directly involved?

JDB, these discussions are not personal and it is usually a bit of a letdown when some take it as such. This was about parts, and started with a discussion on wheels. Usually a pretty dry subject, however in this case, a bit more animated than usual. How your feelings are with respect to someone that posts on the subject at hand, I cannot control. My MO is almost always tech-based and I understand it can be rather dull at times. As Tim intimated, we can have a more in depth discussion on the matter elsewhere if you'd like.

You're right. The context in which I used the term leaves too much room for ambiguity and the term can be very subjective. I'll put it this way, in the past and on this site, some of the most vociferous defenders on behalf of their beloved KR's have been those that paid quite a bit more than MSRP. Now please, let's not turn this discussion into what is reasonable, what isn't, dealer holdback, market value, etc, etc...that has already been argued ad nauseam, if not ad infinitum at TS and across the web.

Let me put it this way. The KR was a valiant effort at doing something different. I truly respect and appreciate that, I really do. The idea to take parts from some other S197 models, along with some unique parts (CF hood, etc) was a good one. And while the execution veered off course a few times, the car was eventually made available and was an improvement over the base GT500 model. The 2010 model, as well as years to follow, were much improved over the KR. Subsequent model years should be better otherwise many wouldn't let go of what they have to make a new purchase. But for 2008 and 2009, the Shelby GT500KR was above and beyond a better performing car than its standard version brethren.

As such, many seek to improve what they have. Oldlugs made the connection regarding the Mustang being a blank canvas and he was right. If there is a part available that will make your car perform better, and you want it, go for it! The origin of the part, whether it came from a V6, an FR500s, a Boss 302, a Boss 302S/R, a KR, a Super Snake, a GT, a CJ, or whatever...get out and do it! And don't let anybody discourage your efforts based wholly on their sensitivities. I don't and nobody else should be put in that position by someone else. I've adapted parts from nearly every S197 iteration from V6, Boss, Boss 302S, KR, and something from every year of standard GT500 production on my own vehicle. Not in an effort to then be able to point at my work and say that I have something that someone else has but rather to simply utilize available hardware that is of robust design along with hassle-free fitment. That's it.

Understood and thanks for the clarification

Actually they don't -

1) your not a share holder of Shelby American Inc.

2) Shelby American did not sell the wheels to the general public - Ford did ( KR owners can still purchase from SA )

3) Shelby American is not obligated to buy all of Ford's unwanted dead inventory even when it precludes to a partnered initial purchase .

Don't forget the BACON in that chowder !!!

Hey, they owe me something!!! I have shares :hysterical2:

I'm not Jer but I think I can answer this.

If I recall correctly, Robert Lane posted the notice right here on the Team Shelby forums. I *think* I got a mailing on it too (e-mail, not snail mail).

Having said that, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Phill

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/71395-gt500kr-surplus-parts-for-sale/?hl=gt500kr

Isn't it the 40TH anniversary GT500 owners that have the secret handshake ?

Maybe if I learned how to do it one of them might skin down with some Tarragon since I'm not going to get any from the KR crowd ( should have asked for some Grey Poupon from them but it's not in the recipe )

Ohh forget it - stupid special chowder ! F THIS I'm going to have me some Carroll Shelby Chili !!!!!!! :rockon:

Lol,

1. I can't believe there is a heated thread Im not already in the middle of...

2. I don't know which is more sad-

A. The fact that once again, someone feels betrayed because it turns out ownership has no priveledge past the bumpers of the car you own.

B. the fact that I can relate to that from the "unique styling" and parts on the GT350, that ended up 90% being the extremely exclusive Shelby GTS.

I get both sides here guys.

All I can say to everyone involved is; Don't buy a Shelby for exclusivity. Buy a Shelby because you fall in love with it, and the joy it will bring you and not because others will think better of you for it. They won't. Those compliments you get for you car are nice, but are just polite things said in passing. They don't mean anything, and don't make you a better person. You KR owners have nothing to worry about as long as the responsibility of having replacement parts is being done by someone, Ford, SA, etc. the parts that make it out to the masses are just parts.

Look at it like this. If someone put together a KR clone with every part on the market, would they have one? No, of course not.

If you took a V6 and slapped GT500KR and rally stripes on it? The majority of joe public wouldn't know it WASNT a KR. That's the sad truth. Which leads me back to point 1. Your KR should be the only thing that matters. Nothing else.

Besides, people that don't own KRs will get tired of having the parts, and will want to sell them down the road. Just imagine the deals to be made with all this inventory floating around out there!

This is the best post on this entire thread.

Another disappointment and let down as a Shelby American Customer. These wheels were supposed to be restricted to KR owners only.

Every one here is running around thinking this is great gobbling up KR wheels at fire sale prices that just happened to find there way to the public while SAI stands by and merely comments on the price?. Really. WTF.?

Just how did these wheels find their way to market from FR? FR just sat on there stock of wheels for 5 years and just now decided to sell? Oh really? Who did they get these wheels from? Why hasn't or why didn't SAI do anything to stop this dump of supposedly restricted components and "owner only components" that SAI was "protecting" to ensure exclusivity they bragged about with the sale of these cars and they told and represented to owners they would protect. Does anyone remember the original sticker price of the KR? Yeah, $84K+. Pretty pricey for a Mustang which supposedly bought you some exclusivity in the car and parts.

Whats next? Will FR mysterious have KR hoods to dump on the market too?

Candidly I'm disgusted with SAI as they seem to have no issue with this. I would like to know exactly where those wheels came from that FR sold off. They (SAI) were supposedly protecting the exclusivity of KR wheels for years and now they seem offer some weak explanation distancing themselves from this dump on the market and clearly don't seem to have any issue with it at all. Even if we are to believe that FR just happened to have these wheels in their warranty warehouse am I also to believe there was no understanding that they were to held to protect the exclusivity of the KR? SAI didn't know there were 400 sets of KR wheels out there or did they know and did nothing or could do nothing to protect the exclusivity?

So let me get this straight. The deal was if something was wrong with my KR wheels I had to go through a gauntlet to prove I was a KR owner to get replacement wheels only to have my wheels that I sent back dumped to the public by FR? Really? Excuse me but thats BS.

From now on maybe SAI should just explain that any "limited" production car they sell with exclusive components will not necessarily remain exclusive. However, I'm sure they will continue to charge "exclusive prices". That you can be sure of.

I was actually struggling with selling the KR for a new Viper. Really didn't want too since I love the KR even though the new Viper out classes it in performance in every way but due to the exclusivity of the KR I was leaning on keeping it.

I'm not struggling as much since I saw this thread. It may be time to dump the KR. I'll likely soon see multiple non KRs festooned with "exclusive" KR parts in the near future right down to V6 Mustangs GTs. Maybe SAI will create a paid registry for KR wheel owners to register their "exclusive" KR wheels.

Yuck. I been a Shelby fan and proponent for nearly 20 years. I'm pretty turned off right now.

Lol,

1. I can't believe there is a heated thread Im not already in the middle of...

2. I don't know which is more sad-

A. The fact that once again, someone feels betrayed because it turns out ownership has no priveledge past the bumpers of the car you own.

B. the fact that I can relate to that from the "unique styling" and parts on the GT350, that ended up 90% being the extremely exclusive Shelby GTS.

I get both sides here guys.

All I can say to everyone involved is; Don't buy a Shelby for exclusivity. Buy a Shelby because you fall in love with it, and the joy it will bring you and not because others will think better of you for it. They won't. Those compliments you get for you car are nice, but are just polite things said in passing. They don't mean anything, and don't make you a better person. You KR owners have nothing to worry about as long as the responsibility of having replacement parts is being done by someone, Ford, SA, etc. the parts that make it out to the masses are just parts.

Look at it like this. If someone put together a KR clone with every part on the market, would they have one? No, of course not.

If you took a V6 and slapped GT500KR and rally stripes on it? The majority of joe public wouldn't know it WASNT a KR. That's the sad truth. Which leads me back to point 1. Your KR should be the only thing that matters. Nothing else.

Besides, people that don't own KRs will get tired of having the parts, and will want to sell them down the road. Just imagine the deals to be made with all this inventory floating around out there!

This is far afield from the OP or even the above but I guess my take-away is our cars really are like women:

1. Pretty on the outside doesn't garantee high-perfomance on the inside, or yesterday's hi-po is todays dead fish

2. They can get stolen or taken away and will be ridden hard by someone else with nary a wistful thought about you

3. If it floats, flies or f**** (flirts?) lease it

As far as I know, some parts you can't get from Ford, the KR rims being one of those items. Same goes for the hood.

Ford did not souce out to get these parts, Shelby did. The rims were made by Alcoa, the hood by Plassan. If you go to

the parts counter at Ford, I bet they don't have part numbers for those items. They wouldn't even know where to look to

get them.

I could be wrong, but that's how I've known it to be with those 2 parts as an example.

- Joe

Archived