TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

The clone thing.....do I really have to go over the complete parts list for you?

No, the photos at your shop appear to me that you've got this cloning thing down pretty good. Funny how you post a link to a 4 year old thread with comments by you trying so hard to learn how to fake the KR diff cover. Wonder what else your post history will show...

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see a response as a "slap down" but yet state earlier that "Your opinion is valid as is anyone else's." How soon some forget their own words.

If you are insulted by me bringing the origin of just a few of the parts on a KR to the forefront, I'd suggest trying some skin thickener.

You then go from "slap down" to "smack down." The truth is not a spanking that you are apparently so averse to. It is simply the reality that some refuse to accept. Try this idea from an earlier post..."I have learned to concentrate on things I can change and not worry about those things out of my control." You uttered those words.

Your last statement...are you implying that I have a fundamental lacking on a philosophical level as to why the the whole is somehow greater than the sum of its parts? And can you define "entirety" with respect to ADM's, exclusivity (or an attempt thereof), and incessant political correctness from the namby pamby crowd?

I don't disagree with the general premise of your post, just your inference that "parts" are all that go into a KR.

I don't agree with JDB's approach. Yours is very similar

And for the record, I paid more for my GT500 than I did for my KR

But here's something you can chew on from elsewhere so as not to feel slapped/smacked down

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/shelby-gt500/2008/road-test.html

If you'd like to discuss the benefits of using the "lesser" part. I'll be here.

Sounds like Tob could use a hug. I have not bashed you or your car so why do you feel the need to do it to me.

The fact is someone lied, miscommunicated, misspoke, or just gave the wrong impression (pick your favorite). Whoever did has not posted on this thread so there is no need for us to argue amongst ourselves.

I'm pretty direct, but that's only because I'm younger and have more energy than most of you guys :hysterical2:

Seriously, it's all in good fun. I'd sit down and drink a cold one with anyone in this thread...'cept maybe for TOB. I'm either going to love him or hate him...just not sure which yet. :spiteful:

I'm pretty direct, but that's only because I'm younger and have more energy than most of you guys :hysterical2:

Yeah, but I'm old and retired so I can spend all day long arguing with you if I want! <lol>

Old age and treachery will triumph over youth and exuberance every time.

Phill

The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case. The fact that some wish to take advantage of parts that were designed for a given chassis (S197) or engine (5.4) are not indicative of some sordid desire to taint what you see as something to be held in higher esteem, simply because (let's be honest) you own one? And what makes you believe that this upper echelon of exclusivity should shouldn't be tainted by someone that didn't pay the bloated price of admission that you did? Do you even know where many of the parts originated? Let's see what passes muster...

Tob, how do you know he paid a "bloated price" for his KR? Some (if not most) of us on here got great deals. I paid the same for my KR as I did for my 08 GT500. B)

As a possible resolution to the bickering, perhaps everyone that bought the KR wheels will sell them to those on here that have a problem with it. Make the markup reasonable and let them store the wheels for current and future KR owners. If interested, please post your reasonable offer and ask the potential sellers to pm you.

No, the photos at your shop appear to me that you've got this cloning thing down pretty good. Funny how you post a link to a 4 year old thread with comments by you trying so hard to learn how to fake the KR diff cover. Wonder what else your post history will show...

Yes, and I'll do my best to help you here. We get that you are sensitive about your purchase, "cloning" or otherwise. Me linking an 8 year old thread was in response to the general attitude that you have that if it went on a KR it can only be on a KR. In other words, you and your KR ilk are cloning my work. :rolleyes: Silly! The four year old thread was with respect to discovering (by way of oldlugs question) how the cover was done. And instead on wondering what my post history will show, take a look for yourself. If comprehension skills are within your reach, you'll see that this discussion has taken place in previous years.

I don't disagree with the general premise of your post, just your inference that "parts" are all that go into a KR.

I don't agree with JDB's approach. Yours is very similar

And for the record, I paid more for my GT500 than I did for my KR

Tim, quote for me any statement I made by which I directly implied that "parts are all that go into a KR." You won't find it. Your use of the word inference applies to you, not me. Again, if you want to have a philosophical discussion regarding intent and creation of the vehicle, then let's do it. Create a thread and lets hash it out.

My approach, as you word it, started as a response to "dilution, ooh's and aah's, bung's getting hurt" mixed in with a bit of revisionist history - witness Jer's responses. And I began my response to the matter with "The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case" as a retort and then provided some basic evidence that any claim that the KR doesn't share parts with other models and as such can be excluded from some sort of exclusive parts only model. It is simply not the case. Some parts are, some parts are not. That is all.

Sounds like Tob could use a hug. I have not bashed you or your car so why do you feel the need to do it to me.

The fact is someone lied, miscommunicated, misspoke, or just gave the wrong impression (pick your favorite). Whoever did has not posted on this thread so there is no need for us to argue amongst ourselves.

If you feel "bashed" then I can only suggest some sensitivity training may be in order. The word "bash" is like pulling the race card, so please, let's not go there.

Regarding the "fact" as you claim that someone "lied, miscommunicated, etc"...how have you determined this? Have you been directly involved?

'cept maybe for TOB. I'm either going to love him or hate him...just not sure which yet. :spiteful:

JDB, these discussions are not personal and it is usually a bit of a letdown when some take it as such. This was about parts, and started with a discussion on wheels. Usually a pretty dry subject, however in this case, a bit more animated than usual. How your feelings are with respect to someone that posts on the subject at hand, I cannot control. My MO is almost always tech-based and I understand it can be rather dull at times. As Tim intimated, we can have a more in depth discussion on the matter elsewhere if you'd like.

The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case. The fact that some wish to take advantage of parts that were designed for a given chassis (S197) or engine (5.4) are not indicative of some sordid desire to taint what you see as something to be held in higher esteem, simply because (let's be honest) you own one? And what makes you believe that this upper echelon of exclusivity should shouldn't be tainted by someone that didn't pay the bloated price of admission that you did? Do you even know where many of the parts originated? Let's see what passes muster...

Tob, how do you know he paid a "bloated price" for his KR? Some (if not most) of us on here got great deals. I paid the same for my KR as I did for my 08 GT500. B)

You're right. The context in which I used the term leaves too much room for ambiguity and the term can be very subjective. I'll put it this way, in the past and on this site, some of the most vociferous defenders on behalf of their beloved KR's have been those that paid quite a bit more than MSRP. Now please, let's not turn this discussion into what is reasonable, what isn't, dealer holdback, market value, etc, etc...that has already been argued ad nauseam, if not ad infinitum at TS and across the web.

Let me put it this way. The KR was a valiant effort at doing something different. I truly respect and appreciate that, I really do. The idea to take parts from some other S197 models, along with some unique parts (CF hood, etc) was a good one. And while the execution veered off course a few times, the car was eventually made available and was an improvement over the base GT500 model. The 2010 model, as well as years to follow, were much improved over the KR. Subsequent model years should be better otherwise many wouldn't let go of what they have to make a new purchase. But for 2008 and 2009, the Shelby GT500KR was above and beyond a better performing car than its standard version brethren.

As such, many seek to improve what they have. Oldlugs made the connection regarding the Mustang being a blank canvas and he was right. If there is a part available that will make your car perform better, and you want it, go for it! The origin of the part, whether it came from a V6, an FR500s, a Boss 302, a Boss 302S/R, a KR, a Super Snake, a GT, a CJ, or whatever...get out and do it! And don't let anybody discourage your efforts based wholly on their sensitivities. I don't and nobody else should be put in that position by someone else. I've adapted parts from nearly every S197 iteration from V6, Boss, Boss 302S, KR, and something from every year of standard GT500 production on my own vehicle. Not in an effort to then be able to point at my work and say that I have something that someone else has but rather to simply utilize available hardware that is of robust design along with hassle-free fitment. That's it.

Tob be trollin you guys, LOL.

You guys make it too easy. He repeats a homophobic reference, overuses an online thesaurus, makes fun of your awesomely exclusive rides...and everyone gets in a tizzy!

This is one time where feeding a troll is appropriate. Let's get him a Snickers bar so he can be more like himself. Then he might go back to where he came from before he popped up here.

My MO is almost always tech-based and I understand it can be rather dull at times.

Dude, this isn't my first forum or interest group, so don't let your post count go to your head. I've seen your type before. Your MO is to skirt the system (or even counterfeit), under the guise of being this informed tech-based guru. Nice step-by-step tutorial with the sawzall. :do what: Unfortunately there are internet sheep who will view you as being a "mentor" and finding a path of enlightenment past the wretched and evil-doing Ford Factory part # system. I'm just a guy who's not going to stroke your ego or your MO, and I'll call you out just as your post history shows and who you really are. (maybe that's what the almost means)

To date, I've never seen or heard of anyone attempt to sell or pass of a vehicle as such.

I have. I would've figured a smart guy like you would've seen those threads. I don't know about you, but it kinda makes me wonder who would go through the trouble of doing something like that?

I'll put it this way, in the past and on this site, some of the most vociferous defenders on behalf of their beloved KR's have been those that paid quite a bit more than MSRP.

Yup, you assumed wrong. If you want to look back at my posts, it won't take you long to find where I stand. Ironically, what I see in your photos probably cost more than what I paid for my real KR. :lol:

In conjunction, I am here based on principle, not because I paid x-amount more or less than the next guy. NONE of my comments have anything to do with your silly rants about V6 parts or the KR development taking parts from other product lines (duh! by the way). I am specifically talking about KR-specific parts such as the "GT500KR"-labeled wheel, badges, and stickers, etc. Heck, I didn't even bring up the carbon-fiber hood, even though it was also specifically designed and developed exclusively for the KR and a major KR signature item (although technically not "labeled" in such a similar manner, and thus didn't want to engage you on the merits...per your susceptible and reoccurring "ad-nauseam").

What is apparent to me is that you engaged a dialogue with me after only skim-reading my comments and shooting from the hip about tangents that aren't even related to my specific opinion about the wheels. So, speaking of condescending and arrogance...great job!

You guys make it too easy. He repeats a homophobic reference, overuses an online thesaurus, makes fun of your awesomely exclusive rides...and everyone gets in a tizzy!

This is one time where feeding a troll is appropriate. Let's get him a Snickers bar so he can be more like himself. Then he might go back to where he came from before he popped up here.

Really? :shrug: I agree with his breakdown and have issues with the 'members only' philosophy. Hell I'm waiting for 'since it wasn’t built @ SA it's not a Shelby' crowd to appear :banghead: . Since I put the 50th Alcoa rims on my car I guess I am also part of the KR clone group :huh:

Since I put the 50th Alcoa rims on my car I guess I am also part of the KR clone group :huh:

Nope, that makes you part of the SS clone group!

Phill ;)

Let's break it down...

1) repeats a homophobic reference

- Yes, in deference to someone that proposed that Rob's wheels looked as such and with much sarcasm.

2) overuses an online thesaurus

- A thesaurus is notably absent from my internet response repertoire. Instead of drooling in class I actually listened to the teacher up front.

3) makes fun of your awesomely exclusive rides

- If you think it is funny then I posit that you have a rather odd sense of humor. A KR is indeed an awesome ride. Exclusive...not entirely.

Your statement "Then he might go back to where he came from before he popped up here" is interesting, considering you and I both joined this site at about the same time but you've stayed under your rock almost ever since. It is safe to come out side. You don't have to protect the bridge. And let those that label you slide right off your back. I'll split the Snickers with you or just bring two.

Dude, this isn't my first forum or interest group, so don't let your post count go to your head. I've seen your type before. Your MO is to skirt the system (or even counterfeit), under the guise of being this informed tech-based guru. Nice step-by-step tutorial with the sawzall. :do what: Unfortunately there are internet sheep who will view you as being a "mentor" and finding a path of enlightenment past the wretched and evil-doing Ford Factory part # system. I'm just a guy who's not going to stroke your ego or your MO, and I'll call you out just as your post history shows and who you really are. (maybe that's what the almost means)

Dude(?), I'm looking through the thread again but I can't find the part where post counting was made mention (beyond an "under the rock inference up above") of. Can you quote it? Then I can better determine if you mentioned "post count" as a straw man or as a red herring.

Your statement about "skirting" is interesting. Counterfeit? Can you elaborate? I do like the "tech-based guru" bit though.

I don't understand your tie in of the "Ford Factory part # system" to the discussion at hand. It is what it is and if you understand how to use a site such as Fordparts.com, you have a wealth of information at your fingertips. It is an excellent resource and I use it quite often.

No need to "stroke my ego" unless that is something you do with others. And again to say "I'll call you out just as your post history shows and who you really are. (maybe that's what the almost means)"...what is with post history with you? What are you trying to say about "who I really am"? JDB - you aren't making sense.

I have. I would've figured a smart guy like you would've seen those threads. I don't know about you, but it kinda makes me wonder who would go through the trouble of doing something like that?

By all means, link for everyone here to see where someone has gone to all the trouble to replicate a 2008 or 2009 GT500KR and sell it as such. But please, not someone that simply added the V6 spoiler or an imitation hood but a bona fide attempt at counterfeiting a KR. Because I agree, why go through all that trouble if the intent is simply to misrepresent or profit as such?

Yup, you assumed wrong. If you want to look back at my posts, it won't take you long to find where I stand. Ironically, what I see in your photos probably cost more than what I paid for my real KR. :lol:

I think everyone here knows where you stand. Sounds like you paid very little for your KR. Good to hear.

In conjunction, I am here based on principle, not because I paid x-amount more or less than the next guy. NONE of my comments have anything to do with your silly rants about V6 parts or the KR development taking parts from other product lines (duh! by the way). I am specifically talking about KR-specific parts such as the "GT500KR"-labeled wheel, badges, and stickers, etc. Heck, I didn't even bring up the carbon-fiber hood, even though it was also specifically designed and developed exclusively for the KR and a major KR signature item (although technically not "labeled" in such a similar manner, and thus didn't want to engage you on the merits...per your susceptible and reoccurring "ad-nauseam").

Dude (as you like to say), ALL of your comments have to do with "silly rants" about V6 parts (that you apparently choose to ignore) and the KR using parts from other S197 vehicles (duh! indeed!). You are now being specific about "KR-specific parts such as the "GT500KR"-labeled wheel, badges, and stickers" but certainly weren't before. We all know about the hood so thank you for sparing us from another "susceptible" and reoccurring "ad nauseam." Much appreciated.

What is apparent to me is that you engaged a dialogue with me after only skim-reading my comments and shooting from the hip about tangents that aren't even related to my specific opinion about the wheels. So, speaking of condescending and arrogance...great job!

Dude (I like that!), what is apparent is that the hip shooting has come from nobody but yourself. Your comments have been reviewed - repeatedly. The only tangents are what come from you in defense of something that doesn't need to be defended. I'm sorry, but the condescension and arrogance hath been delivered by none other than thou. Maybe go back and read what you said to a few others in this thread while you're at it.

mnyy.jpg
:hysterical2: okay
If you have Fifty Years wheels, you're part of the Shelby gift shop group. :lol:

???????

Jer

ALL of your comments have to do with "silly rants" about V6 parts (that you apparently choose to ignore) and the KR using parts from other S197 vehicles (duh! indeed!). You are now being specific about "KR-specific parts such as the "GT500KR"-labeled wheel, badges, and stickers" but certainly weren't before.

You are delusional.

Go back to post #306, of this thread...the one that you started out with "condescending and arrogance" referring to me, and then quote any comment I made prior to #306 that refers to any V6 part. You don't even have to say anything. Just quote it.

Second, starting at post #306 again, quote any comment I made about a V6 part after that. Again, just quote it.

You're the one in post #306 who listed all these photos of parts and how KR's were derived from other model lines. I don't care that they are. You do!

My only comment regarding a V6 was that I can understand the KR-logo'd wheels being put on a base model, (because it's an entry level car). If you're going to fake the funk, don't do it with a GT500 (since it's an awesome car by itself already). An equally dumb thing to do would be putting "Super Snake"-logo'd 20's on my KR! Again, this is just my opinion.

All of my comments about "parts" in this entire thread refer only to "KR"-logo'd items such as wheels, badges, and stickers.

Always is a long time, Jer. I didn't price wheels before I got my KR, but I certainly know how to read internet stories about the hood pricing. :stirpot:

If I'm off, it's not by much. Normal margins are 35-50% for new product (not including, ahhhemm, brand-hype markup :hysterical2: ). 5 year old dead stock sold in-volume to clear the shelves, including LTL from Ford Racing to the resellers...and dealers jumping on such huge quantities within minutes of posting online? This only happens with larger than normal margins. Yup, $90 to $110/wheel, somewhere in there. But you probably wouldn't know anyways, b/c Shelby didn't get the opportunity to buy first and to offer to KR owners before others...right?

So much wrong here, just wanted to acknowledge that I understand you're having fun and will leave you to it.

Feel free to contact me if I can help you with your KR.

Jer

Jer, since you asked...

The first "retail" price on these a few weeks ago started at $750/set. Working backwards, even a layman can see that the per-piece cost is $90-110/ea. for all the reasons I specified.

Now, maybe Shelby didn't pay that for their stock, because that was back at the beginning 5 years ago, and you had to pay the extra 50% or even 100% which was Ford Racing's wholesale price at the time. Now that it's 5 years later and they want those pallet wracks full of wheels gone now, they can blow them out at their "cost".

That Fifty Years batch already had the forged-tooling costs amortized out from the first batch. There are a ton of things I could pick apart about that offering, but the cherry on top was the milled "Fifty Years", which you can look back in this thread to see how I feel about it. The blatantly obvious attempt to make an "instant collectible" is nauseating. It's the reason so many went straight to (and are still on) eBay. Wouldn't Shelby really rather see every one of those sets on guys cars rather than that phony instant collectibles approach? Just having the Shelby name is what makes it so appreciated. The Fifty Years stepped way over the line of "trying to add value"...but everybody bit. Too bad, because all everyone really wanted at the time was a set of blanks (non-"Super Snake" 20's). Had Shelby asked in a blind forum poll between the 2 choices, I think you'd have seen that.

Same with the 18", the forge tooling costs are already amortized out, and the second batch would cost less to make. The milled "GT500KR" is the last thing to be added before the Durabrite finish, and is actually cheaper to leave off than to add on. I wouldn't care that a second batch of 18" blanks were made. After all, the style of the wheel was not exclusive to the KR.

But all of that is water under the bridge, now that the GT500KR wheels were made public and without exclusivity to KR owners. I would have a hard time believing that a Shelby exec and Ford Racing exec don't have at least one daily phone conversation, so I'm betting Shelby knew about the upcoming release given the exclusivity of the KR program dating back to the beginning. But to buy a huge lot of wheels at a lower price than your already-not-selling-very-many-to-KR-owners stock cost, doesn't make much financial sense. It still could've been salvaged with a blowout price offered to KR owners first (20% markup), with the caveat that any remaining would go to the public domain.

The "GT500KR" wheels are one item that should not have gone public, and Shelby should have either been involved...or respond to KR owners as to why they weren't.

My $.02 and again, I'll bet I'm not too far off.

You are painting with a very wide brush, there.

Also, before anyone else posts about "I wish they had been offered to KR owners first", most people remember that every single leftover KR part was made available to KR owners only, nearly TWO YEARS AGO - A special mailer was sent BY FORD to every owner, and it was a hot topic on these forums. Anyone who bought their car used (and are new to Team Shelby), would not have known. Everyone else is well aware of this occurrence. Also, we have not turned down a single owner request for parts, we have supported the KR owners and their parts needs the entire time.

I'm sensitive to everyone's feelings about this, but I abhor revisionist history.

Jer

could you post a copy of this letter?

I'm not Jer but I think I can answer this.

If I recall correctly, Robert Lane posted the notice right here on the Team Shelby forums. I *think* I got a mailing on it too (e-mail, not snail mail).

Having said that, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Phill

This thread has made me hungry. Excellent chowder!

The Cliff House Clam Chowder has been on the menu since 1872. Reprinted with permission.

Serves six.

Ingredients:
  • 1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 1 cup onion, minced
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon The Cliff House Spice Blend (see below)
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 can clams (6-1/2 ounces)
  • 1 cup bottled clam juice
  • 1-1/2 cups Half and Half
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced
Preparation:

To Create The Cliff House Spice Blend, blend 4 tsps oregano, 4 tsps dried parsley, 2 tsps marjoram, 2 tsps dill, 4 tsps thyme, 4 tsps basil, 1 tsp sage, 4 tsps rosemary, 2 tsps tarragon, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible. Store in a resealable plastic bag to refrigerate.

In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams. Serve at once with crackers and warm cornbread.

Jer, on 11 Sept 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:snapback.png

You are painting with a very wide brush, there.

Also, before anyone else posts about "I wish they had been offered to KR owners first", most people remember that every single leftover KR part was made available to KR owners only, nearly TWO YEARS AGO - A special mailer was sent BY FORD to every owner, and it was a hot topic on these forums. Anyone who bought their car used (and are new to Team Shelby), would not have known. Everyone else is well aware of this occurrence. Also, we have not turned down a single owner request for parts, we have supported the KR owners and their parts needs the entire time.

I'm sensitive to everyone's feelings about this, but I abhor revisionist history.

Jer

twicebitten, before we get into this, let's be clear that we are not talking about two years ago. We are talking about a very specific decision to sell a very large lot of a single specific item by Ford Racing just a few weeks ago. Let's not muddy the waters or allow Shelby to turn on the spin-factor about non-relevant 2-year-old information that has nothing to do with current events.

Sometime in the last 8-10 weeks, I want to know how Shelby was informed about the decision to dump these wheels on the market, and why they decided not to be a part of it. The "we weren't aware" response just isn't going to cut it.

WOW!

A lot of lane changing going on here ! JDB - post #353 - I don't care for your feeble attempt to dissect what purchasing and profits companies do on products - the way I look at this is - you as a KR owner were exclusively offered the wheels for years but you refused to pay the market price for the items at that time but once a discounted / reduced price was available to any and all - you feel like you were cheated . Had you and all the other KR owners bought up all the inventory in the first place there would have not been any for them to sell to the general population . JMO

Oldlugs - MMMMmmm chowder with bacon !!!! :drool:

Once a projected profit target has been reached it's better to sell off the remaining inventory at a loss than be taxed over and over again ( beginning inventory vs ending inventory ) along with losing shelf space to a more profitable inventory item which has not reached a point of demand drop off and /or it's projected production run profit numbers . It's nothing personal - just business .

Jer, on 11 Sept 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:snapback.png

twicebitten, before we get into this, let's be clear that we are not talking about two years ago. We are talking about a very specific decision to sell a very large lot of a single specific item by Ford Racing just a few weeks ago. Let's not muddy the waters or allow Shelby to turn on the spin-factor about non-relevant 2-year-old information that has nothing to do with current events.

Sometime in the last 8-10 weeks, I want to know how Shelby was informed about the decision to dump these wheels on the market, and why they decided not to be a part of it. The "we weren't aware" response just isn't going to cut it.

and they owe you this information why? is it because you own a KR? pffft, give me a break, they do not owe you anything what so ever.

Archived