TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Racing to offer GT500KR wheels for sale

Tim, I simply said I politely disagree that it looks good. If guys want a giant stroke for how they look on a GT500, they might get better results in the GT500 section. If their bungs hurt because someone doesn't like their pics, then maybe the internet's not for them. And if the KR owners are happy to see the KR section turn into cloneville, then it's not just Ford Racing and Shelby that threw in the towel on the uniqueness of this car. Shame on you.

Listen, you use the word "politely" and proceed to use other demeaning words like "stroke, bungs, and clone ville" towards....I guess me for posting pic's of my new wheels.

That does not come across as "polite"

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim, I simply said I politely disagree that it looks good. If guys want a giant stroke for how they look on a GT500, they might get better results in the GT500 section. If their bungs hurt because someone doesn't like their pics, then maybe the internet's not for them. And if the KR owners are happy to see the KR section turn into cloneville, then it's not just Ford Racing and Shelby that threw in the towel on the uniqueness of this car. Shame on you.

A polite conversation is fine. Your opinion is valid as is anyone else's. And to be clear, I wasn't talking about any one particular post or poster but a derogating conversation. As for throwing in the towel, I have learned to concentrate on things I can change and not worry about those things out of my control

it's not just Ford Racing and Shelby that threw in the towel on the uniqueness of this car.

I think Grabbers cars looked good and I am not upset that he and others purchased these rims. I would have done the same whether I owned a KR, a GT500 or a V6 mustang. They are great looking rims and look good on our cars. However I am disappointed in how they were sold. They weren't offered to KR owners first, dealers bought all of them for before they were available for anyone else and then proceeded to distroy a good number of them because they went cheap on the packing.

If you are able to get a replacement rim you can pretty much guarantee it is coming out of the SA stock pile.

However I am disappointed in how they were sold. They weren't offered to KR owners first, dealers bought all of them for before they were available for anyone else...

+1

The first sets to hit eBay were around $969 with free shipping. With 100% markup, $150 to cover shipping, and $19 to cover eBay fees, my guess of $100/wheel is probably pretty close to what Ford Racing sold them for. Had Ford Racing offered them to KR owners at that price, every single set would've sold.

Maybe Ford Racing is not setup for direct sales to customers. If that's true, I would've been content with Shelby adding 100% markup and offering them to KR owners first (at least make the concerted effort to maintain exclusivity before going to the general public at a certain announced date, if necessary). I would have a hard time believing Shelby wasn't asked about these first before dealers based on the highly unusual exclusivity of this particular car, and the general close-knit relationship that these 2 companies have. Maybe they just didn't want to pony-up the 40 grand.

I think Grabbers cars looked good and I am not upset that he and others purchased these rims. I would have done the same whether I owned a KR, a GT500 or a V6 mustang. They are great looking rims and look good on our cars. However I am disappointed in how they were sold. They weren't offered to KR owners first, dealers bought all of them for before they were available for anyone else and then proceeded to distroy a good number of them because they went cheap on the packing.

If you are able to get a replacement rim you can pretty much guarantee it is coming out of the SA stock pile.

JMO - the wheels look good on Grabbers cars ( I like them more on the Grabber Orange than the Performance White ) . I like the looks of the wheels but they seem to me to look better on a bright or dark colored car - I really don't care for them on a silver KR . I like that they are a forged 18" x 9.5" wheel with the proper offset and they are not too blingy in my opinion ( I'm to old for that "pimped out" 20" , 22" or 24" look ). Since my GT500 is Performance White the set I bought will probably go onto my Vista Blue convertible . I would have bought them a long a$$ time ( YEARS ) ago BUT they were only offered to KR owners which I am not ! UPS is getting worse and worse with the care of handling packages - mostly by the workers on the loading docks at night when they throw the stuff into the trucks before the drivers even get there though the drivers do their fair share of abuse . JMO

I do...because it says "KR" on it. Not to mention that they were, in-fact, made specifically for a KR.

Ed, I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but this thread is under the 2008-09 GT500KR section. People who want to post pics of their GT500's posing the very elements that make the KR special might get more oooh's and aaah's from the GT500 section.

The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case. The fact that some wish to take advantage of parts that were designed for a given chassis (S197) or engine (5.4) are not indicative of some sordid desire to taint what you see as something to be held in higher esteem, simply because (let's be honest) you own one? And what makes you believe that this upper echelon of exclusivity should shouldn't be tainted by someone that didn't pay the bloated price of admission that you did? Do you even know where many of the parts originated? Let's see what passes muster...

-There were only two different rear spoilers on either the GT500 or KR. I have both.

_KR13.jpg

The one on the left was standard GT500 fare...

_KR17.jpg

_KR15.jpg

The one on the right is the one that was pulled from the parts bin to add to the KR...

_KR16.jpg

Yeah. KR trying to pose as a V6. Would that qualify as 'gay' (in the context used previously within this thread)? After all, V6 owners work hard and paid good money for the right to some exclusivity, didn't they?

Let's talk about the piece de resistance that is the KR axle reservoir tank...

_KR12.jpg

Er...considering the quality of that piece, it may be best to just forget about it completely.

How about the cast aluminum, ribbed axle cover that not all KR's got. Now what might be the origins of that cover? Hmm... let's see, somebody showed how to take an Exploder rear cover, cut the ears off, dress it up a bit and wala! Wait, that was me in the spring of 2005! http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23526&highlight=cover+rear+access

_KR1.jpg

So when our very own "oldlugs" posed a question some four years later, my ears cropped up. All those wannabe KR owners that want to dilute my work by putting it on a car that adorns V6 parts on it. Ha! Debunked again.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/50728-aluminum-kr-differential-cover/

It was nice to show everyone how all those evil KR owners deflowered a rare piece by copying it and how anyone could do it at home by purchasing the ~$47 cover and cutting the ears off. Here's to exclusivity! Er...here's to originality!...er...doh!

_KR9.jpg

_KR11.jpg

How about that unique Ford Racing shifter mechanism? How dare they develop a short throw shifter for the GT500...

IMG_1840z.jpg

...only to have someone at Shelby want to use it on their exclusive vehicle...

IMG_1821z.jpg

What of the M-9603-SVT07 CAI kit from Ford Racing that the people at SAI wanted to use as well? Quite a few of those buggers floating around...

IMG_7126.jpg

Or the KR only mufflers...

_KR4.jpg

Wait...not only were those developed by FRPP, they were developed for FR500S owners at the aft end of their mighty 4.6L engines. Boy are "S" owners ever upset upset about this.

Did someone just mention the KR-only 3.73 axle assembly that came only on vehicles earmarked as KR's? Yeah...you mean the "Bullitt" axle assembly (also used on the FR500s...scroll to page two)

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Mustang/fr500sownerinfo/Parts_Info_FR500S_v1.pdf

Also offered as a "Special Edition" axle assembly by Ford Racing...

_KR.jpg

Do you see how silly your KR argument is? Fact is, much of the KR is comprised of common parts - some not. SAI tried hard to market value into these parts by limiting the available for sale supply to far less than the supply than was sitting on Ford's shelves (or theirs). Look at the current KR suspension that is being (or was) offered by FRPP. Same supplier as the standard struts/shocks/springs. Different damping/spring rates and painted black. No hidden gold in there. They are Ford parts and Ford grew tired of babysitting them.

_KR3.jpg

Which leads to the wheels. It certainly isn't their performance potential that had them selling like hotcakes (note their weight). They are simply a rare wheel that recently became available at a reasonable price. The perfect storm if selling them quick is the goal.

Anything else about the KR you wish to discuss?

... then it's not just Ford Racing and Shelby that threw in the towel on the uniqueness of this car.

You are painting with a very wide brush, there.

Also, before anyone else posts about "I wish they had been offered to KR owners first", most people remember that every single leftover KR part was made available to KR owners only, nearly TWO YEARS AGO - A special mailer was sent BY FORD to every owner, and it was a hot topic on these forums. Anyone who bought their car used (and are new to Team Shelby), would not have known. Everyone else is well aware of this occurrence. Also, we have not turned down a single owner request for parts, we have supported the KR owners and their parts needs the entire time.

I'm sensitive to everyone's feelings about this, but I abhor revisionist history.

Jer

+1

The first sets to hit eBay were around $969 with free shipping. With 100% markup, $150 to cover shipping, and $19 to cover eBay fees, my guess of $100/wheel is probably pretty close to what Ford Racing sold them for. Had Ford Racing offered them to KR owners at that price, every single set would've sold.

Maybe Ford Racing is not setup for direct sales to customers. If that's true, I would've been content with Shelby adding 100% markup and offering them to KR owners first (at least make the concerted effort to maintain exclusivity before going to the general public at a certain announced date, if necessary). I would have a hard time believing Shelby wasn't asked about these first before dealers based on the highly unusual exclusivity of this particular car, and the general close-knit relationship that these 2 companies have. Maybe they just didn't want to pony-up the 40 grand.

100% markup? WAAAAAAAAAY off.

That's a great assumption I wish were true. And, again, these wheels have always been available to KR owners, at a SLIVER of that.

Jer

...simply because (let's be honest) you own one?

Actually no. It's simply because that's what the part was designed and intended for...along with being clearly marked as such.

Sure, how about anything with markings specific to the KR...such as the wheels, or badges, or stickers? Why not peel-n-stick your way up to a KR if you're going to put the wheels on? It's the same exact thing.

100% markup? WAAAAAAAAAY off.

That's a great assumption I wish were true. And, again, these wheels have always been available to KR owners, at a SLIVER of that.

Jer

Always is a long time, Jer. I didn't price wheels before I got my KR, but I certainly know how to read internet stories about the hood pricing. :stirpot:

If I'm off, it's not by much. Normal margins are 35-50% for new product (not including, ahhhemm, brand-hype markup :hysterical2: ). 5 year old dead stock sold in-volume to clear the shelves, including LTL from Ford Racing to the resellers...and dealers jumping on such huge quantities within minutes of posting online? This only happens with larger than normal margins. Yup, $90 to $110/wheel, somewhere in there. But you probably wouldn't know anyways, b/c Shelby didn't get the opportunity to buy first and to offer to KR owners before others...right?

edit: I just looked back at my PM's with another member who got retail pricing early after release from multiple dealers @ $750/set.

I was so thrilled to get a set of these absolutely beautiful Durabrite wheels. But what started as a thread to share our enthusiasm of these great looking wheels has turned into a real buzz kill.

Don't let the direction this thread has turned, kill your buzz. They're cool wheels for those who want ALCOAs in a size that works well for the street, and they were affordable to boot.

I'm glad to have gotten my spare set, which may or not end up on my KR. I'm seriously thinking of picking up an '08 or '09 GT500 'vert to put them on. Purists be damned. :)

JDB,

Just like it says on your sig - Interests: GT500KR . Thank God we have a forum like this for Ford , Mustang , and Shelby enthusiast which also breaks down into sections of interest for those enthusiast ( like GT500KR 2008-209 ). If you are an owner of a KR - congrats - not everybody is . However isn't it nice to have a place to share the enthusiasm with others with similar interest ? If you desire a place of you're own or for just for the exclusive - this is not the place . Don't get me wrong - anyone is entitled to their opinion - I just don't feel it right in telling others how to run their business or what to buy for their car . You have some issues - maybe it stems from not being on time for a deal on wheels or it's something else - I don't know and I don't care . There is a lot more that most don't know about a KR than bolt-ons and stickers. JMO

Ownership Not Required - Only Enthusiasm ! Enjoy the Ride ! :shoppingcart_:

I really don't have any issues. Most of you might even like me if we met. Just pointing out truths (and opinions) that might not be so obvious. I got my extra set, and for a fair price. But go back to one of my first comments and you'll see that my opinion is that KR wheels dilute the specialness of a GT500. I can understand why someone would put KR wheels on a V6, but not on a GT500. Just my opinion.

Likewise, there still is not a thread in the GT500 section about how people's GT500 looks with KR wheels. Do GT500 owners really think they are not asking for negative reaction when posting in a section dedicated to the KR?

Whether you can mentally wrap your head around this or not; after $40,000 dealer markups, $16,000 hoods, registry's maintained so that even an owner can't see the info, exclusivity and premium pricing maintained to the n'th degree, and 5 years time down the road, we have finally reached the point of the clones starting. Stickers and badges are next.

If you think I am going to give praise that, I'm not.

Likewise, there still is not a thread in the GT500 section about how people's GT500 looks with KR wheels. Do GT500 owners really think they are not asking for negative reaction when posting in a section dedicated to the KR?

It's under the Mod section and Grabber has posted it also elsewhere - surf around .

I don't know what it is about wheels - first svt13 and the 50th anniversary wheels and now this !

KR is still just a Mustang. "Cheap speed." Not a hand built Huayra (my current dream car).

The main reason many people buy a Mustang, is 'cause they're a blank canvas, so to speak; a good hobby car. They can be played with and modified to taste, over time, and when their owners can afford to do so. If people want to build KR clones (not saying they are), then the registry will still show which are real, and which aren't. KR clones really won't lessen the desireability or value of a real KR. Most people don't know what a KR is to start with.

Meanwhile, to all those who bought KR wheels for something else, please enjoy 'em. They do look cool. Heck; I've even thought of trying my spare set on my blown '01 Toyota S-Runner (but not seriously)... Yes, they'd bolt right on. :)

I really don't have any issues. Most of you might even like me if we met. Just pointing out truths (and opinions) that might not be so obvious. I got my extra set, and for a fair price. But go back to one of my first comments and you'll see that my opinion is that KR wheels dilute the specialness of a GT500. I can understand why someone would put KR wheels on a V6, but not on a GT500. Just my opinion.

Whether you can mentally wrap your head around this or not; after $40,000 dealer markups, $16,000 hoods, registry's maintained so that even an owner can't see the info, exclusivity and premium pricing maintained to the n'th degree, and 5 years time down the road, we have finally reached the point of the clones starting. Stickers and badges are next.

If you think I am going to give praise that, I'm not.

You seem to be conveniently leaving out the "GT500" part of your GT500KR's name. You don't own a "KR", you own a GT500KR. Carefully note the "GT500" part of the name...

I for one didn't buy a set of the 18" Alcoa Dura-Brights because they had the "KR" attached to the GT500 name. I bought mine because I *love* the look of the Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels but I'm (like Albino500) not too keen on the 20" wheel craze. So I wanted a set of Alcoa Dura-Brights but I wanted more sidewall (as someone pointed out, for handling).

So whoever it was that said it, don't flatter yourself by thinking everyone wants to have that "KR" stuck on our cars. If they made a set of 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels sans KR (or even GT500KR) name etched in them, I would'a bought a set.

But they didn't/don't.

Phill

... If they made a set of 18" Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels sans KR (or even GT500KR) name etched in them, I would'a bought a set.

But they didn't/don't.

Phill

I too would have preferred that the "KR" was left off the wheel. They'd have been cleaner just having been engraved with "ALCOA FORGED", and nothing else. They also could have been about 10# lighter... Oh well. :)

From someone who has been unable to find rims that do it for me in the past 5 years. The KR rims are cool on any Mustang just not for me. I think I will stay with the stock rims; just easier that way; if someone asks me "is stock" I can reply the rims are. LOL. Besides I think there might some deals to be had on stock 07-09 rims (we should talk Rob).

The level condescension and arrogance that arises from time to time is sometimes hard to be ignored, such as in this case. The fact that some wish to take advantage of parts that were designed for a given chassis (S197) or engine (5.4) are not indicative of some sordid desire to taint what you see as something to be held in higher esteem, simply because (let's be honest) you own one? And what makes you believe that this upper echelon of exclusivity should shouldn't be tainted by someone that didn't pay the bloated price of admission that you did? Do you even know where many of the parts originated? Let's see what passes muster...

-There were only two different rear spoilers on either the GT500 or KR. I have both.

_KR13.jpg

The one on the left was standard GT500 fare...

_KR17.jpg

_KR15.jpg

The one on the right is the one that was pulled from the parts bin to add to the KR...

_KR16.jpg

Yeah. KR trying to pose as a V6. Would that qualify as 'gay' (in the context used previously within this thread)? After all, V6 owners work hard and paid good money for the right to some exclusivity, didn't they?

Let's talk about the piece de resistance that is the KR axle reservoir tank...

_KR12.jpg

Er...considering the quality of that piece, it may be best to just forget about it completely.

How about the cast aluminum, ribbed axle cover that not all KR's got. Now what might be the origins of that cover? Hmm... let's see, somebody showed how to take an Exploder rear cover, cut the ears off, dress it up a bit and wala! Wait, that was me in the spring of 2005! http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23526&highlight=cover+rear+access

_KR1.jpg

So when our very own "oldlugs" posed a question some four years later, my ears cropped up. All those wannabe KR owners that want to dilute my work by putting it on a car that adorns V6 parts on it. Ha! Debunked again.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/50728-aluminum-kr-differential-cover/

It was nice to show everyone how all those evil KR owners deflowered a rare piece by copying it and how anyone could do it at home by purchasing the ~$47 cover and cutting the ears off. Here's to exclusivity! Er...here's to originality!...er...doh!

_KR9.jpg

_KR11.jpg

How about that unique Ford Racing shifter mechanism? How dare they develop a short throw shifter for the GT500...

IMG_1840z.jpg

...only to have someone at Shelby want to use it on their exclusive vehicle...

IMG_1821z.jpg

What of the M-9603-SVT07 CAI kit from Ford Racing that the people at SAI wanted to use as well? Quite a few of those buggers floating around...

IMG_7126.jpg

Or the KR only mufflers...

_KR4.jpg

Wait...not only were those developed by FRPP, they were developed for FR500S owners at the aft end of their mighty 4.6L engines. Boy are "S" owners ever upset upset about this.

Did someone just mention the KR-only 3.73 axle assembly that came only on vehicles earmarked as KR's? Yeah...you mean the "Bullitt" axle assembly (also used on the FR500s...scroll to page two)

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Mustang/fr500sownerinfo/Parts_Info_FR500S_v1.pdf

Also offered as a "Special Edition" axle assembly by Ford Racing...

_KR.jpg

Do you see how silly your KR argument is? Fact is, much of the KR is comprised of common parts - some not. SAI tried hard to market value into these parts by limiting the available for sale supply to far less than the supply than was sitting on Ford's shelves (or theirs). Look at the current KR suspension that is being (or was) offered by FRPP. Same supplier as the standard struts/shocks/springs. Different damping/spring rates and painted black. No hidden gold in there. They are Ford parts and Ford grew tired of babysitting them.

_KR3.jpg

Which leads to the wheels. It certainly isn't their performance potential that had them selling like hotcakes (note their weight). They are simply a rare wheel that recently became available at a reasonable price. The perfect storm if selling them quick is the goal.

+1, well said. Also you can add the KR strut tower brace and the brake duct inlet for the lower grill to the available parts. Finally lets not forget that on any given day you can pick up the KR front spoiler and hood on ebay. They are out there.

Good Post Tob,

Very well said. :mademyday:

Actually, no its not. In his effort to slap down one poster on a thread, he has managed to insult KR owners who actually disagree with the same poster he's trying to smack down. He also show no understanding what a KR is and what it is in its entirety.

Actually no. It's simply because that's what the part was designed and intended for...along with being clearly marked as such.

Sure, how about anything with markings specific to the KR...such as the wheels, or badges, or stickers? Why not peel-n-stick your way up to a KR if you're going to put the wheels on? It's the same exact thing.

Actually, yes. The wheel was designed to fit an S197 8.8" rear axle, rotor, bolt circle as used on the 5.4L equipped model. It was also designed to fit the S197 front LCA/rotor/ bolt circle as used on the 5.4L equipped model. That design allows it to fit a multitude of other S197 engine/suspension combinations. In essence, it was intended to fit anything the stock wheel would fit. It was marketed and sold to a limited group in an attempt to control exclusivity that as I mentioned before, doesn't work very well. You state that the wheels were clearly marked as such...why don't you feel the same about the V6 rear spoiler? Or the Bullitt rear axle assembly? Or the Ford Racing shifter, etc? You can't have it both ways. Therein lies the issue with enthusiasts that were unwilling to pay the exorbitant penalty simply for bragging rights. They didn't see the value of certain pieces being hyped in an attempt to raise their intrinsic value when the potential performance increase wasn't anywhere near commensurate. Witness the Plasan hood debacle. The cat came out of the bag in a hurry when news went public about what SAI was claiming those to be worth. Nice piece of hardware that was ruined with litigation, ridiculous price valuation, but an understandable attempt to limit access to (which in the end just ensures exorbitant prices for KR owners when they need service pieces such as the hood).

Regarding "markings specific to the KR...such as wheels badges and stickers," we've discussed the wheels ad nauseam. They're heavy but shiny. A cross between a minilite and the big brother SS Alcoa, they do nothing for me. But I can respect that others really like them. But badges and stickers? JDB, personally, those items to me belong in the same place.

_KR21.jpg

_KR20.jpg

For me, those types of items (royalty fees, emblems, stickers, stripes) add nothing to the car in terms of performance. Zilch. I'd rather Ford took those monies and put them back into the car for greater performance. I don't care if the car says KR, JK, PooPoo, or whatever. Ford delivered more performance in 2010 and as such made it a bit more difficult to justify paying for a KR in late '09.

But anyway, you're stuck on thinking that there are some that are hellbent on creating a 100% KR replica and that it will somehow ruin your experience. To date, I've never seen or heard of anyone attempt to sell or pass of a vehicle as such. It is not the exact same thing just as your KR uses V6 parts but isn't trying to be a V6.

I can understand why someone would put KR wheels on a V6, but not on a GT500. Just my opinion.

5 years time down the road, we have finally reached the point of the clones starting. Stickers and badges are next.

Your first statement explains it.

The clone thing.....do I really have to go over the complete parts list for you?

The main reason many people buy a Mustang, is 'cause they're a blank canvas, so to speak; a good hobby car. They can be played with and modified to taste, over time, and when their owners can afford to do so.

Nailed it.

+1, well said. Also you can add the KR strut tower brace and the brake duct inlet for the lower grill to the available parts. Finally lets not forget that on any given day you can pick up the KR front spoiler and hood on ebay. They are out there.

What was well said? All those parts in that list can be had by all. Although there was a time that the exhaust was also only for KR owners.

The point was we all understood that the KR rims were protected parts and only a KR owner could buy them, and for a time it was only after we proved that the old parts were damaged in some way. That goes for the Hood, spoiler, and brake cooling kit, stripes......and so on. I don't care that all these parts can be had by all. That ship sailed long ago. It is the fact that in this instance there was a blatant disregard for standing behind your word.

Again I don’t condemn anyone for buying any KR part and would never think any less of a car or its owner for having those parts on his/her car. It is the fact that what was promised is not what has happened.

Actually, no its not. In his effort to slap down one poster on a thread, he has managed to insult KR owners who actually disagree with the same poster he's trying to smack down. He also show no understanding what a KR is and what it is in its entirety.

You see a response as a "slap down" but yet state earlier that "Your opinion is valid as is anyone else's." How soon some forget their own words.

If you are insulted by me bringing the origin of just a few of the parts on a KR to the forefront, I'd suggest trying some skin thickener.

You then go from "slap down" to "smack down." The truth is not a spanking that you are apparently so averse to. It is simply the reality that some refuse to accept. Try this idea from an earlier post..."I have learned to concentrate on things I can change and not worry about those things out of my control." You uttered those words.

Your last statement...are you implying that I have a fundamental lacking on a philosophical level as to why the the whole is somehow greater than the sum of its parts? And can you define "entirety" with respect to ADM's, exclusivity (or an attempt thereof), and incessant political correctness from the namby pamby crowd?

There is a reason there is a V6 spoiler on the KR. I will leave you to speculate.

I don't speculate. The key of which, was balance. But here's something you can chew on from elsewhere so as not to feel slapped/smacked down

the rear wing's reduced angle of incidence fractionally reduces drag and actually increases lift at the rear axle relative to the GT500.

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/shelby-gt500/2008/road-test.html

If you'd like to discuss the benefits of using the "lesser" part. I'll be here.

Archived