TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lime Rock Autocross

yellow pony

I ran my SGT in the Lime Rock Park open autocross day today. Awesome experience!

The tracks are challenging and the instructors did a good job teaching us novices a few things along the way. Certainly beats the typical autocross event where you drive around a bunch of cones in a big parking lot!

I think they have a few more open days left this season. I'm considering going again, but have to think about a few "mods" to make the car even better! :peelout:

Have any other Northeast Team Shelby members run the Lime Rock autocross?

-yellow pony

Sounds good yellowpony!

I'd like to try this sometime at Lime Rock; havent been able to fit it in my crazy schedule. I've really enjoyed autocrossing in the past. Did it all the time when I lived in MD and have a lot of trophies...not from a Mustang, though...in those days I had an '81 Honda Accord LOL. I did AutoX the Shelby 2 or 3 times here in CT with a group you can find at www.cartct.com ... that is, when they autox'd in the Hartford area. Now, for some reason their autox's are too far away for me; although probably no farther than Lime Rock, but Lime Rock would be much more awesome. They also organize track events at Lime Rock & Pocono.

I'm interested in how this is different from the traditional 'parking lot and orange cone' auto-x event.

Do you actually use the track, or just a larger section of the parking lot? Also, are the speeds higher?

pics??? :camera:

Z-man

Sounds good yellowpony!

I'd like to try this sometime at Lime Rock; havent been able to fit it in my crazy schedule. I've really enjoyed autocrossing in the past. Did it all the time when I lived in MD and have a lot of trophies...not from a Mustang, though...in those days I had an '81 Honda Accord LOL. I did AutoX the Shelby 2 or 3 times here in CT with a group you can find at www.cartct.com ... that is, when they autox'd in the Hartford area. Now, for some reason their autox's are too far away for me; although probably no farther than Lime Rock, but Lime Rock would be much more awesome. They also organize track events at Lime Rock & Pocono.

Ilmor,

You should definitely try out the Lime Rock autocross when you get a chance! Now that I have the autocross "bug", I'm thinking about going to the SCCA sponsored autocross at Ft. Devins in Mass in September. Let me know if you are interested!

Maybe someday we'll get enough Northeast TS members together to rent out the Lime Rock track!

-yellow pony

I'm interested in how this is different from the traditional 'parking lot and orange cone' auto-x event.

Do you actually use the track, or just a larger section of the parking lot? Also, are the speeds higher?

pics??? :camera:

Z-man

Z-man,

Lime Rock has 2 dedicated autocross tracks. Each is about 1/4 mile long. One is a kidney bean shape with some good left and right turns. The other has some hills and tight corners. They set up a chicane on both and add some cones to help guide you into the turns. During the day long event, you get to run on each of the tracks a bunch of times and then they put the 2 tracks together for a "super autocross track".

I don't have any experience running the traditional parking lot with cones events, but from what I can see the big advantage with the Lime Rock track is the defined track with some elevation changes and many sharp corners. It really feels like you are running a race track, although the speeds are lower since you are constantly turning (or sliding...) The tracks don't have much of a straightway, so its hard to get much faster than about 50 mph before you hit a turn. Another advantage is that you get a lot more seat time than a typical autocross event. Each time you go out, you run about 10 laps and I was able to go out 9 times. It ends up being a lot of fun driving!

Here's a video that shows one of my laps on the combined track.

http://s532.photobucket.com/user/yellow-pony/media/Autocross/1lapon2ndrunoffullcoursehires.mp4.html

-yellow pony

Gotta love the pic on this website re the SCCA / Fort Devins....

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3599

Ironically, I will be at Lime Rock camping in the infield for the Grand-Am race the same weekend that Fort Devins occurs. I think this is always the case, dang schedule conflicts....same with the more recent New England Dragway / Tasca event....I was at Indy....

Gotta love the pic on this website re the SCCA / Fort Devins....

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?eid=3599

Ironically, I will be at Lime Rock camping in the infield for the Grand-Am race the same weekend that Fort Devins occurs. I think this is always the case, dang schedule conflicts....same with the more recent New England Dragway / Tasca event....I was at Indy....

You are a busy guy! Maybe we'll get a chance to catchup at least one time this season when our schedules align!

That is a great picture on the SCCA website! We all know the white SGT is the fastest car!!! :speedie:

-yellow pony

You are a busy guy! Maybe we'll get a chance to catchup at least one time this season when our schedules align! That is a great picture on the SCCA website! We all know the white SGT is the fastest car!!! :speedie: -yellow pony

Maybe you could make it to the Tasca event this year...on 9/7 I believe, and I think a caravan of TS guys may be forming and we get the best location in the show....

So I have to ask, what is the differences in running autocross and the full track? Mainly just a tighter course?

MJN,

I'm still new to autocross and don't have any "real" racing experience, so there are probably much more qualified people that can chime in here...

From my perspective, autocross focuses on handling. A race track focuses on speed where handling is all about not hitting a wall! Also, in autocross you run with one car at at time so you limit the risk of crashes!

-yellow pony

Archived