TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Give it to me in plain English Please........

gotoatz

It was pretty easy in the 05, and in the Bullitt.....Traction control on, traction control off.....

Then along comes the GT500.....Sport Trac Mode....Accutrack on....Traction Control off......Aw Crap Mode.....

Put your foot on the brake and hold the button for 4 seconds or more....

Put your foot on the brake and hit the button twice rapidly.........

Seriously?????? Yeah, read the manual, ad nauseum......

So give it to me straight, I can handle the truth.........What setting do you usually use? Do you change settings when you fire it up, or leave it defaulted???? What's best for what, and what does it take to get to that setting???? Up in smoke? Spins but grabs?? Sideways on the freeway????? :rockon: :rockon: :hysterical: :hysterical:

So please share your settings and reasons......

Thanks,

Mike

I was just wondering the exact same thing when reading about the 2011+ GT500 on the "Net". I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From all of us old farts

Kevin

I am equally as interested to hear what people have to say about the traction control options. Previous to the GT500, I had a BMW 335i and 550i --- traction control would kick on when hammering through the gears, but not jeapordize a street race. In the GT500, I fear sideswiping somewhen when launching it off the line. I never even see the traction control light kick on before I countersteer or let off the gas. I took it to the track and opted to keep the traction control on because I still had plenty of tire spin without traction control jeopardizing the run.

I usually just start it up and go. I have held the brake down and the button for however many seconds... once on the street. I wanted to do a sweet burnout. It was a sideways in the other lane butt puckering experience. I mashed the throttle almost instantly got off the gas and the car was still just melting them off. My poor wifes mouth was hanging open to scream but nothing came out. The whole thing probably only lasted a few seconds and left some nice posi marks. I can't really tell any difference between the default when you start the car and sport mode. But to be fair, I have so little time to get behind the wheel I don't have much experience with it.

I am equally as interested to hear what people have to say about the traction control options. Previous to the GT500, I had a BMW 335i and 550i --- traction control would kick on when hammering through the gears, but not jeapordize a street race. In the GT500, I fear sideswiping somewhen when launching it off the line. I never even see the traction control light kick on before I countersteer or let off the gas. I took it to the track and opted to keep the traction control on because I still had plenty of tire spin without traction control jeopardizing the run.

You have to be careful about letting your traction control engaged when taking the car to the track as it may roast your rear brakes... Apparently the traction control on the 2010+ models works on the rear brakes to limit the power, so every time the system detects wheelspin, it will engage the appropriate brake...

Friend of mine went to a race track in France some time ago (which is a small circuit with tight turns and turn exit speeds where the Shelby has trouble getting all its power to the ground) and found his rear brake pads completely disintegrated after some laps...!!

@OP: As far as I know, I should check to be completely sure, Sport Trac Mode= Stability program still engaged, traction control almost off. So this should be the best setting for a non-professional race-driver wanting to have some fun on the race track as you can spin your tires without frying your rear brakes but if things get too crazy (sideways), stability will engage and save you from spinning right into the tire guards...

Normal setting when starting the car= Stability on, traction control on. Will allow some wheelspin, but only because the system (rear brakes) aren't strong and fast enough to cope with all that power!

Everything off=self-explanatory

Hope I could help a little (but I'll double-check when I get back home!

So, in a drag race, leave the default setting on, hold on to the wheel and try to stop from swerving into the other guy. Sound about right?

That will keep you out of trouble for sure, but you won't get the best figures because the rear brakes will apply to try to stop the wheelspin. To get the best results, Sport Trac mode should probably be better, but you'll have to act progressively on your gas pedal and not give it all at once, but I'm really not a drag race guy, so I'm sure somebody else will have more experience in that matter and will chime in!

Cheers,

Gilles

I have a 2011 SVTPP -

For the first 5K miles I left the default mode on. As other's have stated, the traction control uses the brakes as well as timing adjustment when slippage is detected. I assume extra wear on the brakes if using this mode aggressively.

For the next 5K miles I used the "Sport Mode" (with brake depressed hit TC button twice). It really made a difference in responsiveness compared to default mode, but still felt sluggish on hard acceleration.

After 10K miles I now always hit the button once to turn off traction control (but leaves on stability control). There is a very perceivable difference with TC off, but you need to be real careful with breaking the tires loose, especially from a dead stop with cold tires!

I never drive it in the rain, but if I do then I leave it in default mode. If the wife drives it it stays in default mode too.

It's easy to get into trouble with the amount of power available on these cars, so I think it best to get real comfortable with it before turning off any of the computers assist modes.

You have to be careful about letting your traction control engaged when taking the car to the track as it may roast your rear brakes... Apparently the traction control on the 2010+ models works on the rear brakes to limit the power, so every time the system detects wheelspin, it will engage the appropriate brake...

No it doesn't.

The TC uses throttle control when rear wheel spin is indicated by a difference in rear wheel speed (via the wheel speed sensors) vs the front wheel speed. It does so by backing the throttle blades off using the "Drive By Wire" (DBW) feature of the PCM.

It uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin from the left to right side but with a posi or locker, that is minimal.

Phill

No it doesn't.

The TC uses throttle control when rear wheel spin is indicated by a difference in rear wheel speed (via the wheel speed sensors) vs the front wheel speed. It does so by backing the throttle blades off using the "Drive By Wire" (DBW) feature of the PCM.

It uses the rear brakes to control wheel spin from the left to right side but with a posi or locker, that is minimal.

Phill

Ah, OK, I thought that the '10-'12 models were only applying the brakes on wheelspin! I only knew for sure that the '07-'09 models were pulling the timing to limit engine power to control the wheelspin.

Learned something again today!

Cheers

Gilles

.........................................................................From another thread on this site.

" Anyway, here's the gist:

AdvanceTrac = Traction Control + Electronic Stability Control

Traction Control = Not letting the drive wheels spin

Electronic Stability Control = Not letting the car slip/slide/spin out (a technology which, according to the warnings in the manual, can be adversely affected by installing stereo speakers too close to the front seats. No joke.)

The car also has Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) which is unrelated to AdvanceTrac or the stability control button

Changing AdvanceTrac settings (p 213):

Tap the stability control button once = disables Traction Control = drive wheels will spin, but car still won't slide out if the ESC can prevent it

Tap twice while brakes are applied = Sport Mode = less intervention from TC and ESC (but both are still enabled; this is not related to Sport steering mode, see below)

Press and hold for 5 seconds OR MORE, BRAKES APPLIED, NO THROTTLE = all systems off....( NOTE: EACH TIME THE CAR IS TURNED OFF, BOTH SYSTEMS ARE ENABLED AGAIN..

Selectable steering (direct quote from p 215, my emphasis):

You can select the desired steering feel through the message center. The

settings are:

Standard: Default factory setting.

Sport: Slightly higher effort required for steering with more road force felt through the steering wheel.

Comfort: Slightly less effort required for steering with less road force felt through the steering wheel.

After selecting the desired setting, you may feel a soft feedback bump in the steering wheel when the changeover occurs.

Hope that helps. "

I've done about 12 track days with my 500 and here's what I have learned:

1. Leaving the system in default mode is a no no. Most tracks highly suggest that you turn traction control programs OFF to save your rear brake pads and rotors.

2. From personal experience, I do not recommend pushing the TC once (ESC engaged, Traction Control OFF). There is no worse feeling for me than to be accelerating out of a corner and have the motor "go flat". I much perfer to control sliding and wheel spin with my right foot.

3. Sport Mode. In my view a complete waste. It has all of the bad qualities of default mode except that it happens a little later. On the track you still run the risk of cooking your rear brakes.

4. System OFF, my personal favorite. This is the mode I use when on track. No electronic intervention. Just me and my right foot.

For street driving? I just leave the system in default mode.

Mark

.........................................................................From another thread on this site.

" Anyway, here's the gist:

AdvanceTrac = Traction Control + Electronic Stability Control

Traction Control = Not letting the drive wheels spin

Electronic Stability Control = Not letting the car slip/slide/spin out (a technology which, according to the warnings in the manual, can be adversely affected by installing stereo speakers too close to the front seats. No joke.)

The car also has Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS) which is unrelated to AdvanceTrac or the stability control button

Changing AdvanceTrac settings (p 213):

Tap the stability control button once = disables Traction Control = drive wheels will spin, but car still won't slide out if the ESC can prevent it

Tap twice while brakes are applied = Sport Mode = less intervention from TC and ESC (but both are still enabled; this is not related to Sport steering mode, see below)

Press and hold for 5 seconds OR MORE, BRAKES APPLIED, NO THROTTLE = all systems off....( NOTE: EACH TIME THE CAR IS TURNED OFF, BOTH SYSTEMS ARE ENABLED AGAIN..

Selectable steering (direct quote from p 215, my emphasis):

You can select the desired steering feel through the message center. The

settings are:

Standard: Default factory setting.

Sport: Slightly higher effort required for steering with more road force felt through the steering wheel.

Comfort: Slightly less effort required for steering with less road force felt through the steering wheel.

After selecting the desired setting, you may feel a soft feedback bump in the steering wheel when the changeover occurs.

Hope that helps. "

OK, so after reading this, I checked through my message center, because I had never seen nor heard about the steering feel setting.....I see nothing on message center for setting this....Is this something that was not available on 2011's?

Thx,

Mike

OK, so after reading this, I checked through my message center, because I had never seen nor heard about the steering feel setting.....I see nothing on message center for setting this....Is this something that was not available on 2011's?

Thx,

Mike

That setting can be found in the Setup menu (1 of the 3 buttons left of your steering wheel, middle one if I'm not mistaken). Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think all the 2010+ models have the possibility to setup the steering feel?

Cheers

Gilles

That setting can be found in the Setup menu (1 of the 3 buttons left of your steering wheel, middle one if I'm not mistaken). Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think all the 2010+ models have the possibility to setup the steering feel?

Cheers

Gilles

Only on 2011 and up.

2010 still has the hydraulic power assisted steering.

When they switched to the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) it allowed them to 'program' the steering with other systems (Sport, TC, etc.).

Phill

Ah, OK, I thought that the '10-'12 models were only applying the brakes on wheelspin! I only knew for sure that the '07-'09 models were pulling the timing to limit engine power to control the wheelspin.

That's a very common misconception.

I also have to assume the earlier ('07-'09) models used some sort of engine power/speed reduction too, not just backing off the ign. timing.

Think about this for a second. Let's say you're on ice. You apply the throttle and your rear wheels WILL spin. If you (TC) apply brakes, you will be fighting with the brakes and the engine. There is a clutch between the tires and engine so it would either need to be electronically controlled (to allow slip) or it would roast itself when a person was trying to take off on ice. Backing off the throttle is the only thing that makes sense to me (earlier cars did it by cutting out fuel injectors).

HOWEVER, that is also why they use the rear brakes to limit wheel spin between the right and left side. If one wheel is on ice and the other is on a solid surface, applying the brake to the spinning wheel will divert power (via the diff) to the other wheel and allow you to move the car, and still not roast the clutch. Your 'slippage' is in the spinning tire, not the clutch.

Phill

I've done about 12 track days with my 500 and here's what I have learned:

1. Leaving the system in default mode is a no no. Most tracks highly suggest that you turn traction control programs OFF to save your rear brake pads and rotors.

2. From personal experience, I do not recommend pushing the TC once (ESC engaged, Traction Control OFF). There is no worse feeling for me than to be accelerating out of a corner and have the motor "go flat". I much perfer to control sliding and wheel spin with my right foot.

3. Sport Mode. In my view a complete waste. It has all of the bad qualities of default mode except that it happens a little later. On the track you still run the risk of cooking your rear brakes.

4. System OFF, my personal favorite. This is the mode I use when on track. No electronic intervention. Just me and my right foot.

For street driving? I just leave the system in default mode.

Mark

When my car was stock, I LOVED the Sport Mode.

Once I added the Whipple 2.9L 750HP blower, it rendered it useless. It acts much like the default "TC ON" mode (engine falls flat on its face when it kicks in).

Phill

Only on 2011 and up.

2010 still has the hydraulic power assisted steering.

When they switched to the Electric Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) it allowed them to 'program' the steering with other systems (Sport, TC, etc.).

Phill

OK, well I just went out at lunch, and I cannot find anything in setup pertaining to changing the steering feel. I have been through every menu, with the exception of the MyKey menu. Don't really care to mess with that......

So, if this in fact a function of the 2011 model, if somenone could help further it would be appreciated. Checked both manuals, both the 2011, as well as the Shelby supplemental, nothing that I could see.

Thanks

Mike

OK, so after posting the above, a quick Google seach turned this.....

Check out this thread:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...stability.html

apparently the 2011 GT500's steering feel gets heavier if you adjust Advancetrac to sport mode. Of course the 2012s allow steering feel to adjust through the cluster menu; the 2011s do not have this feature but the steering feel nevertheless firms up in Advancetrac sport mode.

Can anyone confirm this?

So, it appears as if this is a function on the setup that started in 2012, not 2011.......

Mike

OK, well I just went out at lunch, and I cannot find anything in setup pertaining to changing the steering feel. I have been through every menu, with the exception of the MyKey menu. Don't really care to mess with that......

So, if this in fact a function of the 2011 model, if somenone could help further it would be appreciated. Checked both manuals, both the 2011, as well as the Shelby supplemental, nothing that I could see.

Thanks

Mike

It's not end user programmable in the 2011, only dealer programable.

In fact, there was a early TSB where they reprogrammed the EPAS for a shake or something like that. Had to be done at a dealership.

In 2012-13, I believe it is incorporated in the Sport/Normal suspension modes and I'm not sure if you can change the steering feel by itself.

Phill

2010 GT500's still had hydraulic steering.

EPAS was first introduced in the 2011 Shelby. Many Job 1 vehicles did have a "shake" issue that was corrected with a TSB reflash. Job 2 cars came with that software correction.

2012's were first GT500's equipped with driver selectable EPAS modes...

In 2012-13, I believe it is incorporated in the Sport/Normal suspension modes and I'm not sure if you can change the steering feel by itself.

Phill

Yes, you can. I don't have the possibility to change my suspension mode, but I'm able to change the steering feel, which is very pleasant when driving on lots of different road types as common over here in Europe.

Gilles

• 4 weeks later...

Archived