TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Loctite disaster

barspen

My aftermarket shift knob was starting to get loose, so I decided to add blue Loctite to hold it in place. I opened the tube and opened the hole with a small screwdriver, but when I squeezed the tube it literally exploded all over the console. Didn't help that the Loctite was stored in a super HOT garage. When I went to clean it up, the charcoal color started to rub out of the plastic and it turned silver :eek5:

In my moment of panic (and brilliance :shrug: ), i started to use a sharpy to put some 'dark' back in, buffing it with cleaning spray. Didn't work that great, I'm sorry to say.

Any suggestion on getting the original color back...or at least making it more presentable? Or am I looking at buying a new console insert?

Console.jpg

Barry,

If it was me I would just replace the damaged trim as you'll never be really happy with any type of repair. And if you're like me your eyes will always be drawn to the "repaired" area. Kind of like your first door ding, no one else notices it but as the owner you're always seeing it.

Steve

My aftermarket shift knob was starting to get loose, so I decided to add blue Loctite to hold it in place. I opened the tube and opened the hole with a small screwdriver, but when I squeezed the tube it literally exploded all over the console. Didn't help that the Loctite was stored in a super HOT garage. When I went to clean it up, the charcoal color started to rub out of the plastic and it turned silver :eek5:

In my moment of panic (and brilliance :shrug: ), i started to use a sharpy to put some 'dark' back in, buffing it with cleaning spray. Didn't work that great, I'm sorry to say.

Any suggestion on getting the original color back...or at least making it more presentable? Or am I looking at buying a new console insert?

Just use vinyl spray and recolor the whole dash pad so it matches rather than have patches.

I've changed a green interior to black with it on my son's '67 GTO.

Phill

Phill

Replace. Head over to SVTPerformancedotcom and look up Tousley Ford (Autonation Ford) for discounted Ford parts.

Have to agree, I think like said before if not new you will always now its there.

Some times $hit happens, If your like me you will never be happy with that repair. Just buy a new one and be done with it. Its a lot easier to get over the cost of a repair when the car is looking good.

You gotta look at it every time you drive and you'll hate it, and you'll end up replacing it when you sell anyway so just do it now. Sucks but at least its not the dash. Go to Ford, get a new one and be happy and thanks for the warning for the rest of us.

They can be painted if you find a decent painter. Rather than buy aftermarket dash trim for my dad's corvette (same type material), we took it to a local body shop and had the guy paint and clear it. The results were fantastic. Only required a light buffing with steel wool prior to paint. Highly recommend this option since you have to take the trim off anyway.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm headed into the dealership in a next couple weeks and I will ask about options. Looking at a brand new OEM part looks like about $450, which seems CRAZY. I could be wrong, since the Ford part diagrams are a bit hard to follow specifically for the console. But for that much cash, I could buy a new Hydrocabon one for a few bucks more.

I might try the paint option if I can find someone who can do a quality job. I have a whole list of other mods I would rather spend $450 bucks on. Either way, it will get fixed and looking good in the near future.

Sad part of the story...I was planning to head to ACE Hardware and buy a roll of Loctitte quick tape instead of using the gel. $8.50 and 10 minutes of my day would have saved me all this headache.

File under "Oh F*ck".

I'm afraid a part swap is going to be your only (and expensive) solution that's likely to bring your dash back to a state that's anything even close to something you'll be satisfied with.

I wouldn't worry about parts running out - makers and suppliers generally support them for ten years, but it may behoove you to pickup a spare at the same time if you can drive down the price.

Over time, I've been slowly accumulating parts whenever I see a good example pop up at a good bargain of components that are likely to wear or wear out. Then again, I plan to keep 4 S197s for the long term, so I have some greater economies of scale I can derive.

Best of luck.

If the part is really that much then check with your Insurance agent...it may be covered as a comprehensive claim and doesn't count against you for rating purposes with many companies. It may only cost you your deductible at that point instead of the whole enchilada!!

Hope that helps!

Andy

The real question is did you ever get your shift knob tight?

Yes. Works like a champ! :)

File under "Oh F*ck".

I'm afraid a part swap is going to be your only (and expensive) solution that's likely to bring your dash back to a state that's anything even close to something you'll be satisfied with.

I wouldn't worry about parts running out - makers and suppliers generally support them for ten years, but it may behoove you to pickup a spare at the same time if you can drive down the price.

Over time, I've been slowly accumulating parts whenever I see a good example pop up at a good bargain of components that are likely to wear or wear out. Then again, I plan to keep 4 S197s for the long term, so I have some greater economies of scale I can derive.

Best of luck.

Indeed..."Oh F*ck" was my first reaction when I wiped the color off the console. Hoping to save someone else from learning that Loctite=Napalm when getting on painted surfaces...I had no clue.

If the part is really that much then check with your Insurance agent...it may be covered as a comprehensive claim and doesn't count against you for rating purposes with many companies. It may only cost you your deductible at that point instead of the whole enchilada!!

Hope that helps!

Andy

I've alway been reluctant to call the insurance company with anything, especially when dealing with my GT500. For some reason I think they will picture me wearing a racing suit and doing doughnuts through the neighborhood if I have even a minor issue\question. Maybe just my imagination.

For the short term, I'm going to live with it and ask the dealership for options. I can just tell unsuspecting passengers the discoloration is normal when you drive a Shelby. Thanks again for all the feedback...and 'Watch Your Kids Around Loctite!'

For some reason I think they will picture me wearing a racing suit and doing doughnuts through the neighborhood

You mean you don't??? :shift: :shift:

Barry, let me tell you, that console panel is pretty delicate when it comes to the finish. When I installed my Shelby dash plaque, I actually removed some of the paint just by cleaning the area for the 3M tape with rubbing alcohol. Could not believe the finish started to lift..... :banghead: :banghead:

Good luck with it,

Mike

I dont think you are suppose to use locktite on the shifter ball.

Thanks for the tip though.... I now will be extremely cautious when using locktite around any painted areas

I've heard they use Red Loctite on the stock shifter which is why it's such a PITA to remove. Blue should keep it secure.

That's why twisting one's ball (or knob) so forcefully is so ill-advised.

ummm...That's what she said :happy feet:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived