TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New member in seach of a Shelby

MachChick

Hey y'all! My name is Alley, I'm 25 and have been into Mustangs since I was around 17 and have owned more of them than I care to count! LOL I am from Texas but am currently stationed in Virginia. I will me moving to Mississippi come January and then San Diego hopefully this time next year.

Right now I own a 2004 Torch Red Mach 1. I am currently looking for just the right GT500. I am hoping you guys will be able to give me some insight on what year models might have issues(for example the 03 Mach's have the same head tick issue as the 03 Terminators.)etc. I am also looking into a convertible since it has been awhile since I've owned one.(Pro's/ con's? Other than the obvious). Just general insight really :).

Hey y'all! My name is Alley, I'm 25 and have been into Mustangs since I was around 17 and have owned more of them than I care to count! LOL I am from Texas but am currently stationed in Virginia. I will me moving to Mississippi come January and then San Diego hopefully this time next year. Right now I own a 2004 Torch Red Mach 1. I am currently looking for just the right GT500. I am hoping you guys will be able to give me some insight on what year models might have issues(for example the 03 Mach's have the same head tick issue as the 03 Terminators.)etc. I am also looking into a convertible since it has been awhile since I've owned one.(Pro's/ con's? Other than the obvious). Just general insight really :).

Welcome to Team Shelby Alley!

A lot has to do with your budget and preferences. An 07 - 09 Vert will run mid 30's -40K a 13 -14 will be 60 -70

As far as issues.......the 07 - 09 have some clutch issues but other then that there hasn't really been anything major. read up about it in the Mod and tech section.

Thanks for your service Alley :salute:

As far as PROs for the GT500...EVERYTHING performance wise, blows the doors off all the other vehicles IMO.

And the CONS... Well, once you start adding mods, its hard to stop, so it can run into some money.

You'll get a bunch of opinions on the forum, but go see and hopefully drive a few and decide what you like.

Im partial to the 13-14 GT500s, nonconvertible but they are pricey. Know your budget first! Best of Luck.

Thanks y'all! I am currently looking in the 40K-ish range which puts me in the 07-09 bracket. Just makes sense budget wise for me although I would LOVE to be in a 12+ :) Hoping to find a clean Tungsten. I'm not too picky on color but I'm getting tired of "ticket-me red".

Welcome Alley,

The 07-09 are the cheapest and if the previous owner has not already changed the clutch and flywheel then factor in another $2,000 to have a new setup installed. Verts typically run 3-4 thousand more than coupes.

IMO, I would shy away from heavily modified cars. I searched for a couple of months for my second 2007 and found one in another state with only 1200 miles with no mods.

The entire GT500 series are pretty much bullet proof with factory configurations unless an owner has tuned it to the edge. If you haven't had a chance to drive in a GT500 yet they are just amazing when compared to the Mach.

Oh yes! I will certainly be looking for one that is as unmolested as possible! I've had a couple of 03 Cobras and finding clean ones are very difficult. Preferribly I'll find one with > 10k Miles.

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch issues. Is there a preference on aftermarket brand that seems to hold up better than others?

Oh yes! I will certainly be looking for one that is as unmolested as possible! I've had a couple of 03 Cobras and finding clean ones are very difficult. Preferribly I'll find one with > 10k Miles. Thanks for the heads up on the clutch issues. Is there a preference on aftermarket brand that seems to hold up better than others?

That's an ongoing war om this and other forums!

The main choices are Ford 10 or 13 versions, Spec, or Ram

Opinins vary greatly and are hotly contested

PS. there's a lot of us running the original clutch with no problems..............yet

MachChick,

Thank you for your service :salute: and welcome to Team Shelby!

I have a slightly different perspective that I'd like to share...

Considering you have a $40k budget, you're within reach of a gently used 2011 GT500 w/SVTPP which is a totally different machine than the 2007 through 2010 Shelby's with the nose heavy cast iron block and hydraulic steering plumbing. It has the new lighter weight 5.4L aluminum engine, EPAS system, 10% increase in stock horsepower (550hp), performance suspension and a much improved interior. I've owned both, and there really is no comparison in stock trim. In fact, the 2011/12's share a good deal of their technology with the 2013/14's which are considered to be the zenith of GT500 performance. I recommend that you take both generations (in stock trim) for a spirited drive that includes a steep downhill sweeping curve, and you'll see how much sooner you have to lift your right foot with the older Shelby, lest you find yourself facing oncoming traffic. Been there, done that...

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch issues. Is there a preference on aftermarket brand that seems to hold up better than others?

PS. there's a lot of us running the original clutch with no problems..............yet

Don't be swayed by the clutch debate.

I've put 20k+ miles on two early cars, and haven't had an issue, and I drive mine like I stole every time I get behind the wheel, including lots of track days.

Tungsten is a one year color (2007)

Welcome and thank you for your service to our great nation :-)

I have 50k on my 07 now and drive it like I stole it. Replaced the clutch at 25k with Spec SS Twin Disc and have been good ever since. With the suspension mods, it corners like it is on rails. Hardly ever get to use most of the 600 rhp on the street. And no steer by wire is nice.

MachChick,

Thank you for your service :salute: and welcome to Team Shelby!

I have a slightly different perspective that I'd like to share...

Considering you have a $40k budget, you're within reach of a gently used 2011 GT500 w/SVTPP which is a totally different machine than the 2007 through 2010 Shelby's with the nose heavy cast iron block and hydraulic steering plumbing. It has the new lighter weight 5.4L aluminum engine, EPAS system, 10% increase in stock horsepower (550hp), performance suspension and a much improved interior. I've owned both, and there really is no comparison in stock trim. In fact, the 2011/12's share a good deal of their technology with the 2013/14's which are considered to be the zenith of GT500 performance. I recommend that you take both generations (in stock trim) for a spirited drive that includes a steep downhill sweeping curve, and you'll see how much sooner you have to lift your right foot with the older Shelby, lest you find yourself facing oncoming traffic. Been there, done that...

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.

First, thanks to the OP for your service!!! :salute::salute:

To the point of the above post, I have had my 2011 for about three months now, and adore this car. And, since I did purchase at a Ford dealership, it was established as a Ford Certified used car which carriers with it a 5 year warranty. She had all of 10K on her when I bought it. Now, I did have the expense of shipping it from Ohio to California, but, got her for 42K. Again, I love this ride.....

Good luck with your decision. Consider the 2011 as noted above carefully.....

Mike

photo14_zps78c782ba.jpg

Archived