TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Handgun Recomemdation

I guess I should have been more clear. I don't intend to use deadly force as a first option, but I have no problems with it. I would rather try to diffuse a situation verbally rather than with a gun, but if it comes to someone else's life over mine or people I'm with you better believe I'm going to use the gun to save myself and those I'm with.

Then you should not be carrying a firearm.

THIS is what I tell people about gun ownership; If you own a gun for self protection (not simply for target shooting or competition shooting), you MUST be prepared to kill a person. Why? It's simple....

If you OWN a gun, you MUST be prepared to carry it.

If you CARRY a gun, you MUST be prepared to draw (use) it.

If you DRAW a gun, you MUST be prepared to shoot (use) it.

If you SHOOT a gun (at a person), you MUST be prepared to hit the person.

If you HIT a person, you MUST be prepared to KILL that person.

"I'll just shoot them in the leg/arm and wound them" is the prevailing (uneducated) logic. Nope, sorry, that's only in the movies.

Therefor, if you own a gun for self protection you MUST be prepared to kill the attacker. That is, to use DEADLY FORCE.

If not, don't buy one.

It is also said that a man who walks into a bar carrying a gun has a totally different attitude than a man who isn't carrying. THAT attitude is human nature and that attitude MUST 'be checked at the door'.

Leave the gun at home or leave the attitude at home....The two don't mix.

Phill

Well said Phil.

Recommend Doogies advice above. Find a range that rents and shoot as many different weapons as you can. Find what is comfortable to you. Would not recommend anything smaller than a 9mm. Personally I prefer .45 acp.

I'm with Scoobs on this one.

I have always preferred a revolver. A top quality revolver will work every time no exceptions. Magazine fed pistols need frequent or daily inspection to make sure the slide is in good working order and the magazine springs are not fatigued.

Our agency practiced a lot and shot on many teams. We never had a S&W .357 not work. When the agency switched to auto feed we frequently had rail feed issues with bulk reloaded practice rounds. I must say when using agency issued ammo we never had a failure but it always left a question in the back of my mind.

I have always preferred a revolver. A top quality revolver will work every time no exceptions. Magazine fed pistols need frequent or daily inspection to make sure the slide is in good working order and the magazine springs are not fatigued.

Our agency practiced a lot and shot on many teams. We never had a S&W .357 not work. When the agency switched to auto feed we frequently had rail feed issues with bulk reloaded practice rounds. I must say when using agency issued ammo we never had a failure but it always left a question in the back of my mind.

Absolutely agree. Pistols with high capacity magazines are necessary in military and law enforcement environments where maximum firepower is important. For people like the OP and his girl friend with limited experience, a good revolver makes the most sense. In my 48 years of shooting, I cannot recall a single malfunction in any revolver I have ever owned or used when using factory ammunition. I cannot say the same ANY of my semi-autos. Some semi-autos are more reliable than others but they ALL will malfunction sooner or later. As you clearly pointed out, semi-autos can be ammunition sensitive. Revolvers are not.

Everybody has a favorite! My absolute all-time winner is the Colt .45 Government model with simple blade sights, I never had a problem hitting anything I aimed it at or pointed it at shooting from the hip! It's size, however, would just about automatically eliminate it from the "concealed carry" crowd!

Sam

First you need to know the gun laws in your state, some have limits on the amount of rounds the weapon can hold. As far as recoil that depends on the size and weight of the weapon and ammo you use. I would suggest you think more about stopping power and your abilty to hit your intended target, not how many rounds you can throw out. Remember if you miss your target the round has to go some where and that could be a problem. I have carried many guns over 40 years and I prefer a 45 acp, I can attest to its stopping power. I use a 200 grain +P EFMJ I prefer this over a hollow point. This is just my opinion from personel experience. Please take the advise of one of the responders and go the a pistol range and shoot as many pistols as you can to see what fits your hand best and what you shoot the best because in the end it comes down to hitting your intended target.

I used to think the bigger the better but as I'm getting older and a better shooter I prefer something smaller. I used to carry a Glock G37 .45 GAP, excellent firearm just a pain to find ammo. Now I carry a Glock G23 .40 and now looking for a G26 9mm.

I prefer Glocks for the simple fact they are low maintenance, plenty of parts and if I ever have to use it I don't really have to think about a safety....my wife and I both go to the range quite often and although she doesn't really like my car hobbies she actually supports my firearm hobby, I know weird, lol!!!

Currently looking for a nice sight for my AR now. As some may have mentioned, go to a range that rents guns, start with something small like a .380 9mm .38 .40 .45/.357....other issue is trying to find ammo, my Bass Pro shops have been getting supplies slowly and does rationed sales(1-2 box/customer)....

Here is my wife with my Daniel Defense AR and .357

BE8D8BC0-1585-42D9-9C1B-07E0B8E24F28-143

24E68D23-3AFC-4D0B-B88F-8D1518D301F2-143

I used to think the bigger the better but as I'm getting older and a better shooter I prefer something smaller. I used to carry a Glock G37 .45 GAP, excellent firearm just a pain to find ammo. Now I carry a Glock G23 .40 and now looking for a G26 9mm.

I prefer Glocks for the simple fact they are low maintenance, plenty of parts and if I ever have to use it I don't really have to think about a safety....my wife and I both go to the range quite often and although she doesn't really like my car hobbies she actually supports my firearm hobby, I know weird, lol!!!

Currently looking for a nice sight for my AR now. As some may have mentioned, go to a range that rents guns, start with something small like a .380 9mm .38 .40 .45/.357....other issue is trying to find ammo, my Bass Pro shops have been getting supplies slowly and does rationed sales(1-2 box/customer)....

Here is my wife with my Daniel Defense AR and .357BE8D8BC0-1585-42D9-9C1B-07E0B8E24F28-14324E68D23-3AFC-4D0B-B88F-8D1518D301F2-143

why is she shooting at an unarmed cop!?!?

Here is my wife with my Daniel Defense AR and .357

BE8D8BC0-1585-42D9-9C1B-07E0B8E24F28-143

24E68D23-3AFC-4D0B-B88F-8D1518D301F2-143

Looks like your wife knows how to handle a weapon. I trained mine to shoot years ago. She can hit better than I can now (My vision ain't what it used to be). I have an Aimpoint on one of my ARs and love it. I am looking at a Trijicon for my other (great sights but really pricey). No ammo shortage here in FL any more. Went to a gun show last weekend and you could get anything you wanted and at a reasonable price.

Ingot, where in FL? I'm in Miami, Waly world is mostly empty and Bass pro is hit or miss...

Shoot Straight Superstores are the best gun stores in FL (IMO). Shoot Straight In Tampa has all the ammo you want (that is where I shop). They have a store in Ft Lauderdale and in West Palm Beach. Here are the links:

http://www.shoot-straight.com/pages.aspx?DN=7049a1df-d016-4a35-a48e-5d9a05e52908

http://www.shoot-straight.com/pages.aspx?DN=d559b8f5-9ecf-401b-9542-cac3eb4ddeab

The gun show I went to last weekend was the Sun Coast Show in Palmetto. Tons of ammo available. Got .223 55 FMJ at $10/20 (PMC). 5.56 Nato 62 FMJ at $11.00/20 (also PMC). That was over $2 cheaper per box than Walmart (they never have anything in the Tampa region). Here is the link to their shows throughout the state.

http://www.suncoastgunshows.com/show-schedule.aspx

Dave

JT, where are you at? I know of a couple of gun ranges that rent different pistols so you could get a feel for them before deciding. One is downriver (Taylor) and the other is on Woodward in (or near) Royal Oak. If you do some searching you can probably find one near you also.

As was mentioned, the best thing would be to find a gun that is comfortable and easy for you to shoot. Being able to hit what you're aiming for trumps caliber every time. It's better to have a .22 that you can actually shoot, than a .500 Magnum that you can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with the door closed with. Any of the big name brands will be good as far as quality goes, though my preference leans toward Sig Sauer, chambered for 357Sig.

As for your girlfriend, if its strictly for home defense, I'd stay away from pistols. A good shotgun is a much better home gun IMO. More powerful and easier to shoot. Plus, if you get a pump style, the sound of the slide racking is usually enough to make most intruders shit themselves (figuratively speaking of course) and hightail it out of the home.

JT, where are you at? I know of a couple of gun ranges that rent different pistols so you could get a feel for them before deciding. One is downriver (Taylor) and the other is on Woodward in (or near) Royal Oak. If you do some searching you can probably find one near you also.

As was mentioned, the best thing would be to find a gun that is comfortable and easy for you to shoot. Being able to hit what you're aiming for trumps caliber every time. It's better to have a .22 that you can actually shoot, than a .500 Magnum that you can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with the door closed with. Any of the big name brands will be good as far as quality goes, though my preference leans toward Sig Sauer, chambered for 357Sig.

As for your girlfriend, if its strictly for home defense, I'd stay away from pistols. A good shotgun is a much better home gun IMO. More powerful and easier to shoot. Plus, if you get a pump style, the sound of the slide racking is usually enough to make most intruders shit themselves (figuratively speaking of course) and hightail it out of the home.

I'm in Ann Arbor, but I grew up downriver. I'm going to start my search for a range next week. This week was too busy for us, we attended the funeral of the young woman who was murdered in Taylor last week. Her sister is a friend of ours. It's a sad time when you aren't safe in your own home or apartment.

I'm in Ann Arbor, but I grew up downriver. I'm going to start my search for a range next week. This week was too busy for us, we attended the funeral of the young woman who was murdered in Taylor last week. Her sister is a friend of ours. It's a sad time when you aren't safe in your own home or apartment.

In may be a sad time but it is the new reality. It is only going to get worse. Most people in this country are sheep. They mill around in herds wringing their hands about the dangers yet do nothing about it. The "justice" system we have puts criminals back on the streets like a revolving door. Those that adapt and prepare will survive. Those that do not will not. Make your personal safety a high priority. When you buy your weapons, make sure both you and your girlfriend join the NRA. Without the NRA, you would not even have the option of buying a gun to protect yourself.

I really like the spec on the S&W bodyguard. Trying different handguns really is the key. I bought my first 9mm without ever shooting it a S&W 914, its a good gun but to quote a phrase I couldn't hit the side of a barn with that thing. To a lot of practice to use that gun accurately. After a ton of rounds... its like an extension of your body.

Without the NRA, you would not even have the option of buying a gun to protect yourself.

Uh.... really?

If we're going to get political on this topic, let's keep it factual. The statement above is opinion only. I'm certain the NRA has helped to protect your civil right to bear arms, but they are not solely responsible for your freedoms and liberties as it pertains to the 2nd Amendment. Some would argue the NRA has done just as much damage as good. It's a highly controversial and volatile topic.

After that devastating episode in CT last December, my wife and I had a long talk about the issue of gun control in our country. She is from the North East and errs on the liberal side of the topic where I'm squarely in the middle. While I support the right to bear arms 100%, I also feel there needs to be a better system to limit and/or keep weapons out of the hands of those who are likely to take that weapon and harm others intentionally. I came up with this idea: Everyone who currently owns a gun or who is seeking to purchase a weapon has to pass a personality test. The test will be looking for certain markers which indicate traits in individuals that are the same of those who have been incarcerated for murder and other violent crimes where a gun was used. If you don't pass the test, you are unable to purchase/keep the weapon and also permanently identified as someone who local law enforcement will keep tabs on as a deterrent to ensure a weapon is not obtained illegally.

We have the technology to do this and in MY OPINION would be a huge step to ensure guns are kept in the hands of the right people. Its not a perfect solution, but I believe a good one.

Lots of good advice on guns here. Like others I recommend going to a range you can rent and try a variety of different guns. Target Sports on Woodward near 13 mile is a great place to go. I've shot there a few times. I just got my concealed license this past year. Wish I had done it a long time ago when I bought my first pistol.

It's great to hear you say that you are planning on getting safes to keep them in too. Too many times incidents can be avoided if guns were just kept in safes. The CT thing was probably one of those times. If you can't afford to be 'safe' then you shouldn't own a firearm in my opinion.

Once you settle on a firearm(s) and you'd like to do some shooting outdoors and get a chance to take your car for a nice drive you could certainly drop by my place in Lake Orion and we could do some shooting on my personal range. I'm always looking for an excuse to go shooting. Not that I need one of course. :)

...permanently identified as someone who local law enforcement will keep tabs on as a deterrent to ensure a weapon is not obtained illegally.

LOL... Yea, that'll work in Detroit.

Next time you're downriver, check out Top Gun in Taylor, on Racho just off Pensylvania.

Lots of good advice on guns here. Like others I recommend going to a range you can rent and try a variety of different guns. Target Sports on Woodward near 13 mile is a great place to go. I've shot there a few times. I just got my concealed license this past year. Wish I had done it a long time ago when I bought my first pistol.

It's great to hear you say that you are planning on getting safes to keep them in too. Too many times incidents can be avoided if guns were just kept in safes. The CT thing was probably one of those times. If you can't afford to be 'safe' then you shouldn't own a firearm in my opinion.

Once you settle on a firearm(s) and you'd like to do some shooting outdoors and get a chance to take your car for a nice drive you could certainly drop by my place in Lake Orion and we could do some shooting on my personal range. I'm always looking for an excuse to go shooting. Not that I need one of course. :)

Thanks for the offer, once we get set-up I'll get ahold of you for sure!

Next time you're downriver, check out Top Gun in Taylor, on Racho just off Pensylvania.

I'll take a look. Hopefully I'll be down that way this coming weekend.

Archived