TEAM SHELBY FORUM

intermittent starting

Torched10

about 3 weeks ago my car intermitently wouldnt start. Id start it up and then go to store--then when i turned the key i got nothing,Brought it in and they threw a new battery in--it was OK till yesterday.. drove to cvs, thne tried cranking it 10 times till it started.I mean theres a no noise,all the lights come on but no starter turning.It sounds to me like when you dont push clutch all the way in and get nothing.Just dropped it off at Ford and after starting here it wouldnt at the dealership.The service guy isnt SVT but i was wondering is it a mechanical thing that stops it from starting when the clutch isnt depressed enough..is it a button or something thats adjustable,or could go bad I have enought voltage,and when it starts it doenst drag or anything--just is dead any thoughts

heres an update--no solution yet

P i posted this question but thpught id update and see if anyone could help. All of a sudden a few weeks ago my car would start 1st time, then after i went somewhere it wouldnt start--i mean nothing--just al the lights in display etc would come on--but no engine turing over--it was like when you dont push the clutch in all the way kind of deal/But om really pushing hard--even took out the mats.So they changed battery and it was fine till yesterday-same deal.I found a link on a 2008 500 that said when battery is low or replaced the passive anti theft key paraametr was changed and it needs to be reset. Told that to the service manager and it was like i ws talking a different language Anyway, do you guys know what mechaism keeps the car from starting when clutch isnt fully depressed.Im figuring if its a button or elc actvaited relay, maybe that needs to be replaced--but again theses guys didnt have a clue on how it worked thanks for any thoughts

• 5 weeks later...

I had the same problem,minutes yncar would died and not restart as soon as it it hot. It left me stranded on the first drive after I bought car. It was a struggle, but it was the crank position sensor. The dealer finally found by putting a flight recorder in the car, driving it, and see hat the cps lost sync and the car wold die. It would restart and drive for a short time until it happened again. It was repeatable.

Hope this helps

I would suspect a faulty ground wire, not necessarily at the battery. I think I read of a member finding a faulty ground strap on the transmission. Perhaps the online service manual has an electrical schematic to see where all the ground connections are,

• 2 weeks later...

Torched10,

I hate the fact that your car issues will turn you off to Ford and in particular the Mustang line. I must say that in the years the GT500 has been out this is perhaps only the 4th time I can remember people having this type of issue. It is probably why the previous owner sold it.

As mentioned above you can ask your dealer to use the recording device. If that fails Ford does have a process to involve the Regional Rep. that can escalate the issue up to the Ford engineers to help dealers solve problems. It is a very slow process which is terribly frustrating if it is a daily driver.

This is such a rare event let us know how it turns out.

stillgetting the intermittent--did it again yesterday.Is there a sensor or something on the clutch that tells the car its ok to start.Dealer checked grounds and says they were ok HELP!!!

Mine does exactly the same thing if I don't FULLY depress the clutch pedal.

Hold the key to the "CRANK" position and press in on the clutch, then (if no start) out, then in. Repeat until the starter motor cranks.

If that works, it's your clutch safety switch.

Phill

stillgetting the intermittent--did it again yesterday.Is there a sensor or something on the clutch that tells the car its ok to start.Dealer checked grounds and says they were ok HELP!!!

I'm guessing that the switch may be loose sometimes the pedal makes contact othertimes it misses the switch button. I had a friend of mine that had it happen to his brake light switch. One thing I've learned in all my years is to start with the simple things.

Good luck

One thing I've learned in all my years is to start with the simple things.

When I went from being a field Tech to a Auto Tech instructor I realized how far I strayed away from starting with THE BASICS. People tend to over-think mechanical problems. For instance, when a car comes in with a misfire let's start with the Electronic fuel injection instead of sticking a vacuum gauge on it and seeing if it's mechanical or fuel/ignition related.

I tried to drill that into my students brain....START WITH THE BASICS.

When a car is overheating, what is the FIRST thing you should check for (well, AFTER confirming it actually IS overheating and not a bad gauge/light)? You check the COOLANT to see if there is any. Remember, the SIMPLE things first.

Phill

thanks alot guys---when i brought it in last time (the 2nd time) they couldnt get it to not start over 3 days.i asked OK what COULD it be thats intermittent, and the tech said the cllutch sensor---but the service manager wouldnt change it if they couldnt get it to fail.Its under extended warranty thru Fordsoi didnt understand why they woiudnt change it. But ive already emailed them that i want them to commit to check/change the safety switch and if they refuse ill go to the GM then the ford zone office.Its so crazy, heres the most expensive car Ford makes and all theyre doing is pissing me off, Maybe I shoiuld buy another vette and trade this puppy in--only has 8,000 miles,never been wet,all stock no dings etcBut i do like it

thanks alot guys---when i brought it in last time (the 2nd time) they couldnt get it to not start over 3 days.i asked OK what COULD it be thats intermittent, and the tech said the cllutch sensor---but the service manager wouldnt change it if they couldnt get it to fail.Its under extended warranty thru Fordsoi didnt understand why they woiudnt change it. But ive already emailed them that i want them to commit to check/change the safety switch and if they refuse ill go to the GM then the ford zone office.Its so crazy, heres the most expensive car Ford makes and all theyre doing is pissing me off, Maybe I shoiuld buy another vette and trade this puppy in--only has 8,000 miles,never been wet,all stock no dings etcBut i do like it

They CAN'T replace a part that isn't failed. If they say it is bad (and it's not) and replace it, and it's not...then what??? Oh, and that's also fraud.

Intermittent problems are THE hardest problem to find, bar none. It would be like going to a Doctor and telling him your elbow hurt but it's not hurting now. He can bend it around but if it won't hurt, what's he supposed to 'fix'?

Phill

I had same problem it was the clutch safety switch, I ended up putting a bunch of tape on the clutch pedal, that pushed the plastic pin in further and the car ran fine, later had new switch installed.

Ok switch was replaced--dealer covered it even though extended warranty didnt--clutch is a wear item--i would have gone ballisitic and think they knew that.I started it 30 timesin a row so hope Im good.Thanks for the great input

• 2 months later...

Ok another update--Ford replaced the clucth safety switch and it worked till last Sat--almost 3 months. It always starts up, and when it fails its after ive driven it .Coming home aftaer a 30 minute drive, parked at Rx store and came out, and nothing.I tried everything, trying twice a minute for 30 minutes--all i hear is the fuel pump.Called tow truck,said a prayer, and it started,Got home put it in garage,and tried again it wouldnt start. Brought it i to dealer and of coiurse they cant duplcate it.But the service manager said he would escalate to Corpportae and see if they can figure it out.They just called an Ford gave then a few things to look at.Its not throwing and codes.This has been a bad year for me for cars, 2 car accidents,a ticket,and my wifes new vette needed a brand new tranny with 600 miles on it.If i cant have confidence theyve actually fixed it,Ill sell it with only 8,000 miles on it, probably trade it in because i dont think id be comfy selling iut to someone knowing it has a starting issue.I wont be buying a Shelby

Ok another update--Ford replaced the clucth safety switch and it worked till last Sat--almost 3 months. It always starts up, and when it fails its after ive driven it .Coming home aftaer a 30 minute drive, parked at Rx store and came out, and nothing.I tried everything, trying twice a minute for 30 minutes--all i hear is the fuel pump.Called tow truck,said a prayer, and it started,Got home put it in garage,and tried again it wouldnt start. Brought it i to dealer and of coiurse they cant duplcate it.But the service manager said he would escalate to Corpportae and see if they can figure it out.They just called an Ford gave then a few things to look at.Its not throwing and codes.This has been a bad year for me for cars, 2 car accidents,a ticket,and my wifes new vette needed a brand new tranny with 600 miles on it.If i cant have confidence theyve actually fixed it,Ill sell it with only 8,000 miles on it, probably trade it in because i dont think id be comfy selling iut to someone knowing it has a starting issue.I wont be buying a Shelby

Wow. You have had some very bad luck with cars. I would be interested to know what the problem was with the Vette transmission to require total replacement at 600 miles (If I recall correctly, it is an auto). Really sorry to hear you are having so many problems with the Shelby. Mine has been flawless so far (knock on wood).

BTW my wife got the vette after i had totalled her 2007 vette with 6,000 miles on it while driving it in for service i hydroplaned at 35mph --frame was damaged in the vert. Anyway, her 2012 just stopped foward movement--the engine would run,it would run in reverse, but not foward-its an AT car. The dealer actually took the tranny apart,and all the parts were working but it didnt have hydraulic pressue when in foward.GM told themsince the car was so low mileage,and tey couldnt figure out what to fix (sound familiar) that they would jusr replace it. Funny,they got the tarnny in 2 days and called me and told me it was the wrong one--the parts catalogiue had the wrong tranny part #--i told you its been a tough year.They also told me it cost GM10,000 bucks for the total job--and that they had never seen this before.I also loved my car but not starting is a fulltilt for me on cars.Im looking at an M6 or M5 vert, both have 550hp--i need 4 seats beacuse my grandsons like riding in a vert, they are all under 9

Really like ny Shelby so out my engineering hat on and figured maybe the starter is getting into don't thermal over load because the last 2 times it happened after I had parked at cvs after driving s bit. My gto does that all the time. I called Ford and asked if it would thrown a code. No ok now ill do a test this week and see if I can get it to fail

• 3 weeks later...

Torched 10...Don't give up...it may quite possibly be a bad starter that is going into Thermal overload...If it starts 30 times when it is cold and then you drive it for 30 minutes or more in warm weather and it won't start, I'd definitely suspect the starter at that point....If that is what happens to you, when you take it back to Ford, advise them of your test and tell them to drive it for a while when warm and see what happens. Sorry to hear that you are having issues...For the most part, these cars are great! Every once in a while something like this happens to someone and it puts a bad taste in their mouth, but I guarantee you, the Shelby is a Fantastic car...much better than the M6 in my opinion...Hope you get it fixed soon and can be happy with it...Good Luck!

Thanks. I've out it through 10 tests do far. Let it air running for an hour then drove it hard in 2nd gear for 15 minutes then me it sit for 15 minutes. Failed once on the warmest day,70. I'll bring it back after Christmas and change the stater even if j have to pay for it curious why do you do you not like the m6.. believe me I'm an American car guy. But its almost impossible to find a vert with over 500hp and rear seat. For my grandsons. And I can't fit in a camaro

Thanks. I've out it through 10 tests do far. Let it air running for an hour then drove it hard in 2nd gear for 15 minutes then me it sit for 15 minutes. Failed once on the warmest day,70. I'll bring it back after Christmas and change the stater even if j have to pay for it curious why do you do you not like the m6.. believe me I'm an American car guy. But its almost impossible to find a vert with over 500hp and rear seat. For my grandsons. And I can't fit in a camaro

For one thing, $117,500 price tag....LOL Hell, you could almost buy two new Shelby GT500's for that and ditch the one that is giving you issues! Good Luck with whatever decision you make...I'm a Ford fan...I'm sure my dad is turning over in his grave, but they have treated me right for some time now...

• 2 months later...

final update==OK they put in a new starter under warranty--i had 2 months of data showing failure after sitting for 30 minutes ,after driving for an hour. Its been a month now and no more failures HURRAH!!! Hard to believe others arent having same issue.Its just like my 65 GTO, heat soak raises temp on starter/solenoid and they dont start,something about heat raising the impedance,dropping the amps hitting the starter.

• 1 year later...

Recently I purchased my first Shelby (2014 – used, just under 15k miles). I started to experience intermittent starting after about 3 weeks; first it seem like it would only happen after driving the car for a while, parking, going into a store, and then coming out and starting it. The first thing I did was start searching forums to see if anyone else had experience this issue. Of course I found this thread on TS - http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/81807-intermittent-starting/

After reading up, I paid more attention to when and where and how often this was happening, after coming out of the grocery store two days ago the car wouldn’t start, sat there for about 10 minutes finally turned over. I immediately called my service manager and brought it in. After having it for two days and the SM driving it home, he experienced the same issues.

Come to find out it was the Clutch Pedal Position Switch (6G9Z 11A152 A), once replaced she starts up fine. If this indeed is the same issue that the OP experienced in the thread above then it could possibly fail again in a few months and maybe it will be the starter as the OP finally got replaced.

The Shelby still had warranty on her, so there was no cost to me.

But I wanted to pass along my experience with this problem. And thank those for posting and the OP for all the information. It is good to know that there is one place I can come and get good, solid information.

Thank you!

te name="AFdude10" post="1623277" timestamp="1436501922"]Thanks for the info!

Glad this helped you, I was at Sebring race way and my car would not start, asked Steed a mechanic for help and he found the problem right away. If any of u have low jack with starter, disengage You may want to make sure that that is not activated and has shut off power to the starter.

• 4 months later...

Just to clise thus thread. It kept not starting my wife wouldn't ride with me so traded it for a new ,14 vert.got killed on trade but didn't want to sell personally knowing what I do. Got 35 k andvthry sold it in a week for 42. On well.

Archived