TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Great Fuel Injection Fued

Hello all,

I am starting this topic because I wanted to see what other people would think. My friend and I are actually in a quite heated debate (don't know how it got this far lol) about what the first fuel injected car was. For all purposes we said American car. He's a big Chevy guy, so he was kind of bragging that it was the 1957 Corvette, which I knew about.

Here is where it all started. I said its not, and I could tell him the exact car that was for sure. What would that be?

The 1948 Tucker.

Now, for some reason (even after I showed him online) he won't admit that the Tucker was a fuel injected car period. My only argument is that it may not be considered a 'production' car. If its "what was the first production fuel injection car" then I'd say that's easily the Corvette. In fact, he said it was a Jeopardy! clue once and yes, the Corvette was the answer.

So, whats everyone elses' view?

I posted this under non-Automotive talk just because of how off-topic this is.

So it looks like you guys are really minimizing the rules. So you are saying, the first mass production gasoline fuel injected car only in the US correct? So no diesel or foreign makes correct? And must be mass produced? Seems like a silly argument then as it goes so much further back then the 1950's. What are the rules for considering mass produced? How many? etc. Doesn't sound like an argument that can be won. Anybody can make their argument if they limit the rules enough. I'm have an accounting degree, what do you want the answer to be and I'll give you the rules to make it so. If you really want to bust your bow tie buddies chops, you can tell him that the Chevy system was just a simple mechanical FI system. AMC trumps Chevy with the use of electronic fuel injection on the 1957 AMC Rambler! I would say that's more valid of a discussion then an old manual FI which is not used. But, that was not used in production models until later.

The first commercial fuel injected gas eng was a 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL based on a Bosch system...diesel systems go way back as does airplane eng as a matter of fact the B-29 had fuel injected engines.

The first commercial fuel injected gas eng was a 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL based on a Bosch system...diesel systems go way back as does airplane eng as a matter of fact the B-29 had fuel injected engines.

They were using mechanical fuel injection on Indy cars as early as 1920's.

Phill

Okay, hold up. The rules weren't supposed to be defined other than we didn't know any foreign cars that were experimenting (no computer nearby or phone, etc for internet access) and when we finally did look it up, its not well defined.

-American

-'production' not mass production, but production; not an experiment on one car in the back yard

-utilizing cost efficiency so that its not specialized, ie racing

-regular road vehicle spark engine, etc.... not diesel lol

Thus, I said the Tucker.

EDIT: Yes, we tried the Wikipedia page as well but we felt missing details. Actually, in my argument, the Wikipedia page on the Tucker even says "fuel injection" and links it to that page, in which the car is never mentioned, nor the Corvette for that matter.

EDIT: I didn't even know about the Rambler. Nice one!

Yea, the Tucker was supposed to be fuel injected, but that never happened as the FI engine was the failed one with hydralic valves. The aircraft engine used would be been injected in aircrafts, but it was carbureted in the Tucker car.

Archived