TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Life Cycle of "Pleather" Seats...

gotoatz

One source of irritation for me for years has been the "Pleather" seating in the Mustangs. It always rears it ugly head in the same spot. On the outside bolster of the drivers seat. Started on my 05, continued on the 08 Bullitt, and shows the same pattern on the Shelby.

I have looked at seat covers, both expensive and cheap, but have never liked the idea for several reasons. Usually they are very high priced for good quality, they usually don't fit very well. And, for me at least, it only effects the high use area, being the drivers seat. There are also considerations pertaining to air bags. I also don't want to buy new factory skins that will end up doing the same thing.....

This is what the 05 looks like after 35,000 miles. I have owned it since new.....

IMG_0549_zpsc62ef110.jpg

And here is what the 08 Bullitt looks like, with about 20K on the dial. Also owned since brand new.......

IMG_0550_zps6c18e59c.jpg

When I bought the Shelby about 3 months ago, I noticed that it has also already started to deteriorate......

IMG_0539_zps210105e2.jpg

In looking around for a suitable solution, I stumbled on Seat Armour seat covers. Basically, it is a large Terry / Velour / micro fiber heavyweight towel, with a cutout and elastic bands for the headrest. It is completely washable, goes on and comes off in about 2 minutes. Will not interfere with side air bags. From what I can tell, I believe this will provide some protection for the seat, while making it easy to remove, clean install, etc......Very reasonably priced, ranging from 25 bucks to 40 bucks, depending upon logo, shipping, where you buy, etc......

IMG_0540_zps43a7160f.jpg

IMG_0543_zps1a92bcc6.jpg

IMG_0541_zps77d5ed64.jpg

IMG_0548_zps02fa86ba.jpg

IMG_0545_zpse237d622.jpg

IMG_0544_zps53348435.jpg

IMG_0546_zps67e6fce3.jpg

Seeing and reading this I have to ask, do you guys have a regular routine for cleaning and conditioning of the leather?

Yep. Normal detailing which includes leather conditioner and cleaner monthly.......It really is a shame........

Agree they shouldn't wear that quickly. My last fun car was a 99 trans am. Did the same thing. Have s vette and it diesnt d o that. I figured it was somewhat due to my entry and exit process. I'm 6-4 200. With s vette you have to fall into seat and swing your l egs out on the ground to get out. Ive been doing that in my 10 gt500 and at 8000 miles they look pretty good. I do have an nos set just in case so when I sell it'll have new seats

Glad my seats don't have that problem. Even the seats in my wife's daily driven 2010 GT convertible with 30,000 mile and 3 hard, cold Alberta winters (-40 degree temps.) are perfect.. I never condition the leather and only use a damp micro fiber towel to clean them. Prematurely worn seats are typically caused by items such as zippers, buttons or other rough items rubbing repeatedly.

IMAG4452_zpsd61c9184.jpg

IMAG4451_zps2583d125.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody priced the drivers side seat cover from Ford? Mine is starting to wear on the back in the same place as above photos. I most always wear jeans and I suppose it is too rough on he leather getting in and out. Leather is supposed to be a wear upgrade.

Perhaps it is the leather protector? I used a leather protector on my 1995 Cobra seats and it turned out just like yours. I was informed back then that the side bolsters were not leather.

Since then I have only used a damp rag and the issue has not happened again in my many Mustangs since.

Get the interior upgrade package from Garry Disney. Gets rid of most of the Pleather and they take a lot of abuse!! I have 40K on my interior upgrade, 90% of that with the top down, temps over 100 F, sweat,salt, sun tan lotion, rain, and hail. They are a little faded but no wear out spots. Sorry but your seat covers look bad and not the good bad. :hide:

Glen

Looked up Gary Disney. Neat looking stuff but very pricey. I called and talked to Gary, very nice exchange. He doesnt make or have the OEM skins. I just ordered a back skin from Ford for $476.00. Mine doesnt look like a disaster yet but it will eventually. I will have a spare before Ford quits providing them.

• 4 months later...

My last two trucks did this and Ford replaced the covers on the trucks during the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty period. My 2010 GT500 has only 7400 but of course the seats still look good. Did anyone try to have the seat covers replaced at Fords?

I had a '93 Cobra that had the driver seat material replaced. The Stealership farmed out the job. It was fine.

Also, have a '10 Explorer driver bottom replaced, this current Stealership must have had a person take care of it. Turned out OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like the plasticizer precipitated out of both my seats after a few years and left a sticky residue that would not wipe off with a damp rag. Finally used a vinyl cleaner to remove the film, but the rag also removed some black pigmentation from the seats. I used Lexol products a few years back, but stopped after learning the seat skins were not truly made of 100% leather.

Seems like the plasticizer precipitated out of both my seats after a few years and left a sticky residue that would not wipe off with a damp rag. Finally used a vinyl cleaner to remove the film, but the rag also removed some black pigmentation from the seats. I used Lexol products a few years back, but stopped after learning the seat skins were not truly made of 100% leather.

Ivan,

What do you use on your seats now ?

Rob

It may be also the way you enter & exit the vehicle. Try another method that has you not using the back as a sliding fixture.

I agree, my 2007 looks New, only about 15K miles, but it shows no wear. Just looking at those it is obvious something it scraping them getting in and out, you can see the scrape marks. I am not saying the seats are high quality, they are not, but this is not normal.

I too am looking at Gary Disneys Upgrade package if he ever puts it on sale again, otherwise I might just go with the one that does not say Shelby, I have enough things on my car that say Shelby anyway. The Same exact covers are like $800 difference between plain and Shelby logo's.

Archived