TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone remember these?

Denstang65

I had to set up a slot track the other day for my boy "on the right", that me and my brother had for years. Since I took him to SAAC 38 a week ago, he asked me if I could dig the track out and set it up for him. Just wondering, does anyone out there remember having these as kids and still have them today? I know they are still out there, but I do not think they are as popular like the way they were back in my child hood days. post-28087-0-80467500-1373655431_thumb.jpgpost-28087-0-07035500-1373655450_thumb.jpgpost-28087-0-80219000-1373655464_thumb.jpg

post-28087-0-80467500-1373655431_thumb.jpg

post-28087-0-07035500-1373655450_thumb.jpg

post-28087-0-80219000-1373655464_thumb.jpg

My wife and I were talking before last Christmas that one of her favorite childhood toys was a slot car track... So I bought her one! SCX makes a good and fun kit and my two daughters love playing with it as well. Good times!

Wow...That brings back memories when I was a kid in the late 70's. I can remember the distinct burning smell of the electric motors as you ran them around the track. I also remember parting them out to make a super car, which generally didn't work well, but it was a hell of a lot of fun when you are 8 years old.

Loved 'em as a kid.

We still sell a lot of them here:

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/c60.htm

http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/c67.htm

Jer

Wow, the late 70's Barry.... I had mine back in the 60's... But I had a lot of fun with them. I spent countless hours running them around the track!

My dad had them as early as I can remember, so my set may have been older. Does 'Aurora' sound right? Pre-Tyco for sure.

This is the stuff I would love to show my kids now, as I try to introduce them the things kids did before Xbox, Nintindo, PC/Mac, etc. Retro!

Great trip down memory lane.

Thanks guys. They are still out there today, as Jer pointed out the Shelby track. When I was in my early teens, I remember walking through the old floor plan of Toys'R'Us, when they actually had isles of dedicated sections, one for slot cars. I remember back in 79, I was only 5 when I got my first oval TCR track. My brother and I had a few TYCO tracks growing up. The track you saw in the picture was a combo of a couple tracks we kept. I still have more track, but ran out of room because my boys' room has limited space. I do have 1 Monagram 1/32 scale car I got a while back. It is a 1965 GT350 Le Mans (67) competition Shelby post-28087-0-42065000-1373691463_thumb.jpg I will not ever run it on a track because that scale can be really expensive, but It was so cool and I had to get it. One day when I get my man cave for my car, I will make room for a track to play with. Slot cars, the only safe way to drink and drive!

post-28087-0-42065000-1373691463_thumb.jpg

There are other cool toys along these lines that still exist, some are even better than I remember... My old Cox nitro-powered dragsters (I still remember spinning the miniature slicks to get 'em fired up) are primitive compared to the stuff that (for example) Traxxas makes now. Some of our guys have them racing around our huge parking lot at SA. Gary Davis' son Josh even mounted a GoPro inside his Traxxas 4X4 truck!

Jer

I really enjoyed slots, but my dad got me HO cars instead and Aurora was the brand. I remember my favorite car, because it was the fastest was a Shelby Daytona. I also had Cox gas driven cars. I remember walking to the toy and hobby store to buy larger engines for the car. I think it was called a "Striker". Oh, the good ole days.

There are other cool toys along these lines that still exist, some are even better than I remember... My old Cox nitro-powered dragsters (I still remember spinning the miniature slicks to get 'em fired up) are primitive compared to the stuff that (for example) Traxxas makes now. Some of our guys have them racing around our huge parking lot at SA. Gary Davis' son Josh even mounted a GoPro inside his Traxxas 4X4 truck!

Jer

I don't know if the cooler toys were from our day or now a days. Imagine if we had GoPros during our childhood with the toys we grew up with! Well I have no complaints about my childhood!

I still have my Evel Kneivel Stunt Cycle!

Jer

Anyone have any childhood pictures with their favorite toys, car related of course! How about if any of you still have them today as a time capsule, or maybe even pass them down to your children/grandchildren?

I still have my Evel Kneivel Stunt Cycle!

Jer

Oh my god, is that the one that you set on, how can I explain, kind of like a hand held dyno windup, then push a button and watch it go? If so, I had one of those!

Oh my god, is that the one that you set on, how can I explain, kind of like a hand held dyno windup, then push a button and watch it go? If so, I had one of those!

Yup!

BTW, I should clarify, mine is a reissue from many years ago. My wife bought me a bunch of Evel stuff when we met and she found out he had been my childhood hero. See photo. Also attached is a photo at 8 or 9 years old wearing the belt buckle... and a "Rutland Van and Truck" T-shirt, a now-defunct customizer/parts dealer in Massachusetts or Rhode Island back then. So guitars and car parts really have been pretty ingrained for a while now!

Jer

rutland.jpg

evel.jpg

Yup!

BTW, I should clarify, mine is a reissue from many years ago. My wife bought me a bunch of Evel stuff when we met and she found out he had been my childhood hero.

Jer

Holy crap! Even though my bike was the Evel American Flag colors, that is what I had. I believe it was back in '79. I remember setting up jumps. I was only 5 and I remember it! Thank you for sharing your picture. Sure does bring back memories. Imagine hooking up a mini GoPro on his helmet, do some stunts, then watch the replay :hysterical:

My dad had them as early as I can remember, so my set may have been older. Does 'Aurora' sound right? Pre-Tyco for sure.

This is the stuff I would love to show my kids now, as I try to introduce them the things kids did before Xbox, Nintindo, PC/Mac, etc. Retro!

I also heard of a brand called "Thunderjet" Sound familiar?

You mean you actually know how to play a guitar? I thought you just worked at Guitar Center :hysterical:

Funny... actually, I managed an independent music store for 15 years BEFORE my 11 years managing Guitar Centers. I learned THEN... LOL.

Jer

mine was Lionel brand, one of the first available. Like everything else the other companies came out with neater stuff that I couldn't use on my set .... Bummer. I had a small carrying case that held about ten cars plus parts.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

I just pulled a slot car track, the old Barbie bus, and my masters of the universe play sets out of my moms attic a few months ago. It was awesome watching my kids play with the toys my sister and I played 30 years ago

I got my first slot car track when I was 8. I don't remember the scale, but the track was about 6" wide. My brother and I played with this set so much that we finally wore the cars out! That set provided hours of entertainment (and more than a fight or twelve) for a long time.

I don't think this was unique to Southern California where I grew up, but does anyone remember the really big slot cars where you went down to a shop with about 4 or 5 different tracks that 10 or 12 different "drivers" could race their cars againist each other at the same time?

Mark

Aurora is correct. I had a set in around 1964 that had two Jaguar XKE's. It was very hard to keep them on the track back then.

Funny... actually, I managed an independent music store for 15 years BEFORE my 11 years managing Guitar Centers. I learned THEN... LOL.

Jer

I don't know about the guitar playing, but from what I have heard, you are a "Rockstar" at Shelby! Keep up the good work. Maybe some day I will be able to buy a newer Shelby. If that happens, I will definitely give you a ring! Thank you again for playing the sharing game. Take care!

Cool stuff... I bought a bunch of slot track stuff when my boys were younger and they didn't care all that much... so sold it again....

I did pick up this one since it was a 1/32 version of the car I patterned my '68 off of:

IMG_0689.jpg

Cool stuff... I bought a bunch of slot track stuff when my boys were younger and they didn't care all that much... so sold it again....

I did pick up this one since it was a 1/32 version of the car I patterned my '68 off of:

IMG_0689.jpg

NICE!

That's really cool!

Jer

Archived