TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCCA SPEC MUSTANG Class

Kevin Patten

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russ Peterson in his SPEC MUSTANG Shelby GT (07SGT2425) WINS the Western Division National SCCA Majors Tour sprint race in the T2 class @ Pacific Raceway ( Kent, Washington ). :victory::clapping:

Congratulations Russ and KP. A double win is a great accomplishment!

Mark

Thanks Mark - We got some attention up there in Washington (a lot of great Mustang/Shelby enthusiasts up in the Pacific Northwest) and even got some exposure on the SPEC MUSTANG Facebook page. Next race is at Laguna Seca on June 6th through the 8th in Monterey, California . We plan on having BOTH SPEC MUSTANG Shelby GTs there running. That will be the first race that both SGTs will be competing together. I'm sure that will draw some attention with twin white cars on the track. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Raced both Shelby GTs in this weekends race at Laguna - Saturday's race was won by Addison Lee , second place was Kevin Patten , and third was Ralph Borelli. Sundays race was won again by Addison Lee , Ralph Borelli took second and Kevin Patten took third. Unfortunately , SPEC MUSTANG driver Don "the flying tiger" Van Nortwick had a head on incident with the wall between turns 9 & 10 during an attempt to pass another SPEC MUSTANG driver on the final lap during the T2 race. Causing severe (but repairable) damage to the car an fracturing his L1 vertebrae . Don showed back up to the track Saturday evening after being released from the hospital and showed signs of good spirits and then came and watched the Sunday race.

2 SPEC MUSTANGS are up for sale for anyone interested in getting into this class of racing ! Mani Motorsports has 2 cars for sale - one is a 5 speed car and the other is a former Miller car with a 6 speed. If interested contact Darrell Anderson @ 510-928-2423 or Dave Mani @ 650-867-0010. I have no association to the sale of either of these cars - just letting people know that they are available. Here are some pics ( Anthracite is the 6 speed / Redfire one is the 5 speed ).

1999-12-31 005 1999-12-31 016.jpg

1999-12-31 005 1999-12-31 019.jpg

1999-12-31 005 1999-12-31 020.jpg

1999-12-31 006 1999-12-31 010.jpg

1999-12-31 006 1999-12-31 012.jpg

Heading out on Thursday evening for Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. for the next SCCA Double Regional race on the newly opened 5 mile course. SPEC MUSTANG races are one on Saturday and one on Sunday both in the afternoon. Warm temperatures are expected.

Heading out on Thursday evening for Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. for the next SCCA Double Regional race on the newly opened 5 mile course. SPEC MUSTANG races are one on Saturday and one on Sunday both in the afternoon. Warm temperatures are expected.

Best of Luck KP, :shift: heres to you for another podium finish :clapping: Heck, get Russ up there beside you while you're both at it

Wonder what's with the metal pieces on the hood of the tungsten one?

Don't know exactly what is going on there (not legal in SMG class though) probably someones idea of an air diversion plate in order to try and create a greater pressure differential and draw more hot air out of the engine compartment. :shrug:

Kevin Patten puts his Shelby Performance Parts sponsored Shelby GT CSM #07SGT4755 on the pole, runs wire to wire up front and wins the SCCA SMG class on Saturday's race at Thunderhill Raceway Park over second place Nicole Jacque ,and third place David Ray. Sunday's race was won by David Ray , followed by Patten in second and Jacque in third. It was the Inaugural Race running the full 5 mile track. Team Shelby in victory circle !

• 2 weeks later...

While there was plenty of regional racing going on at Sonoma Raceway in California, on the national level in SCCA, the SPEC MUSTANGS were proving to be serious contenders at the US Majors races in Portland Oregon within the T2 class. David Ray won the first T2 race with Russ Peterson finishing in second (both in SPEC MUSTANGS) and then on Sunday the two finished 2nd and 3rd. Congratulations to both as this was the final Western Division race and David Ray clinched the title of overall winner in the Western Division while Russ Peterson (in a Shelby GT) finished second overall within the division. Both will be competing at the SCCA National Runoffs at Laguna Seca in October so there will be the possibility of the Shelby legacy repeating itself as it did back in 1965 (BP class) if Peterson wins at the runoffs.

"First make history - then repeat it" Carroll Shelby

Next race (a double regional) for the SPEC MUSTANGS is at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey , Calif. on September 12th-14th. This will be the last race weekend at Laguna Seca before the SCCA National Runoffs which is in October (6th - 12th).

Are you stalking me Mark ? :cool:

Stalking? No. Living a little vicariously thru your racing exploits? Maybe. Dreaming? Absolutely!

I wasn't sure if this was your car or the other one you built until they went around the drivers side.

Mark

Yep - That's my car - I really like the sound track that Jason put to the video ( it gets me going if I listen to it before a race weekend ). Reminds me that I need to get more videos made. Especially in car ones. I'll have to get that done before the next race. I need to get with Roger Caddell @ AIM and make sure that I have everything so that it shows gear selection, track configuration, RPM, g-load, brake, and throttle and then learn how to download it onto YouTube.

So far there are 7 SPEC MUSTANGS signed up to run in the T2 class @ Laguna Seca double regional on September 12th - 14th and 7 signed up for the SMG class. I'm sure more will be showing up as we get closer. There's going to be lots of competition !

I thought I would share another video I found on YouTube of Spec Mustangs racing. This one is on board with Addison Lee at the April 2013 race at Laguna Seca. Really cool racing footage. Enjoy.

Mark

As of today there are 424 entries in the 2014 SCCA National Runoffs. In the T2 class there are 15 entries of which 8 of them are SMG cars. The field so far is made of 10 Mustangs (one is the Shelby GT of Russ Peterson), one Camaro, and four Corvettes.

I thought I would share another video I found on YouTube of Spec Mustangs racing. This one is on board with Addison Lee at the April 2013 race at Laguna Seca. Really cool racing footage. Enjoy.

Mark

Thanks for sharing I haven't been to a track day in 2 years so this is my fix!

• 2 weeks later...

CorteX Racing will be sponsoring Addison Lee's car at the Runoffs this year in the T2 class.

It looks like Jason Hoffman, Tony D'Alassandro, and Don Van Nortwick will have their cars back together for the September Regional race at Laguna.

:yahoo: I got my picture on the cover of "The Wheel" (official publication of the San Fransisco Region of the SCCA) August 2014 issue :yahoo:

Congrats!!!!!

Jer

Thanks Jer - We've been trying to get some traction on getting exposure without having to do silly things ( like crashing the cars ). I did up a matching stripe theme on my new F-150 to match the car and going over the trailer to do the same. I saw the SAI tweet about another Kevin picking up his white Raptor with silver stripes and had to smile because it looks just like mine ( mine is a 2014 F-150 with an ecoboost and is NOT a Raptor) but just had Shelby on the side stripes where mine has "Team Shelby Racing" on it and I put matching FIA fender stripes on my truck to match the car. I'll post pics the next time we go to the track to show off the setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news - 498 entries now for the 2014 SCCA National Runoffs @ Laguna Seca Raceway in October. In the Touring 2 class there are currently 18 entries with 9 of them SPEC MUSTANGS. So that means that half of the field will be made up of SMG cars. That makes for pretty good odds that a SMG driver will reach a podium finish at the Runoffs.

Archived