TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCCA SPEC MUSTANG Class

Kevin Patten

The San Fransisco Region of the Sports Car Club of America ( SCCA ) has introduced a new regional class this year for those who want to go road racing with a little more than what the showroom stock class has to offer but not as wild or expensive as a GT class . The Spec Mustang ( SMG ) class is for the S197 Ford Mustang / Shelby GT built from 2005 - 2009 . The goal of this class is to provide a fast and safe race car that is affordable to build when compared to other race cars in its category of performance .

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and did I mention - 91 octane fuel only and D.O.T. tires ! There are already a couple of the Miller Challenge Cars that have been converted over and racing . Mine is the first Shelby GT being converted for this race category as far as I know . In SPEC IRON I believe that you would still run a panard bar and std struts/shocks whereas the SPEC MUSTANG class allows/requires the Cortex ( SPP Track Pack ) coilover/watts linkage suspension kit . Otherwise I believe they are the same just different race sanctioning groups .

For those whom maybe interested , the following Shelby Performance Parts are legal for use in the SPEC MUSTANG class ;

S6M-2004-B Front Brake Duct Kit

Z12-S5M-8005-B Radiator

8R3V-4022-KR1 KR Axle Reservoir

M-4209-F373N 3.73:1 Rear Axle Gear

MSR-A883105 HD Axles

Z12-CR-CPA001 Extreme Duty Reservoir Tanks

OS1 Oil/Air Separator

5S3Z-66405A26 Billet Fuel Door

FD-GRILLE-112-03 Grille

GF-112-02 Grille Housing

KIT G Gauge Pod Set

Z13-1 Dead Pedal

Z25-S5MA-5478-A Front Safety Loop

Z25-S5MA-5478-B Rear Safety Loop

5S3Z-3A130-S2 Bumpsteer Kit

5S3Z-5A486-R Adjustable Sway Bar End Links

S7M-5482-C Front Sway Bar

S5MKR-5400-U Track Pack

I'm sure that there are other #s but that should give you an idea in case you're thinking of going from an " Open Track " car to a " Race Car " sometime later down the road . :superhero:

As of now , in SMG - here is the top lap times ;

Thunderhill Raceway Park - 2.866 miles - Addison Lee - 2:02.674

Sonoma Raceway - 2.520 miles - Addison Lee - 1:49.610

Laguna Seca Raceway - 2.238 miles - Addison Lee - 1:40.738

Congrats to Russ Peterson in Menlo Park , California who just bought a White 2007 SGT for me to build into a SPEC MUSTANG ! ( another SGT goes racing ! ) :yahoo::superhero:

Looks like Mr Lee will have a big bullseye on him, with KP having him squarely in his sights

Cool news on the other build too.

Wow, all these SGT's going into racing will at least help the value of my increasingly rare car! B)

Naw - not one of those ! This one he bought is a runner but he wanted a SGT to go racing with ! :shoppingcart_: I get the CSM number when I see it next week . I do know that it is a white SGT and that's about it . Keep me up with what you need to get " Hurricane " running so you can take it for a drive !

:hysterical2: You can send me sponsorship money since I'm making your " Garage Queen " worth more ! :hysterical2:

What's your PayPal , ill send you a dollah!

:hysterical2::hysterical2::hysterical2: I would NEVER do that ! ( I mean - do I look like a veterinarian ) But in all seriousness now and I quote " Recently , we were informed that the SMG rules have been approved for future national consideration. This does not mean we are a national class yet , but - SCCA national has clearly noticed what we are doing and we believe that it is a matter of time before we become a full national class . " So keep your garage queen locked up at night and beware of racers that want to buy your car because it could just end up on a race track ! :rockon:

Some people have asked what body mods are allowed in SPEC MUSTANG :

The front bumper can be replaced with a Steeda competition fascia # 555-0500

The optional hood is a fiberglass Tiger Racing Heat Extractor Hood

The rear wing is a Steeda # 307-0009

The antenna may be removed but all other body panels must be intact and of 2005-09 OEM/direct replacement stock (including side mirrors and side skirts)

Fender lips may be rolled but not altered ( stretched / modified ) in any other manner

Front and rear tow hooks are required and must be welded , not bolted on

Sorry but , NO on the GT500 front end and hood . They allow the SGT because it was used on the California Special editions of the Mustang GT (CS/GT) . Remember that they are basing the class off of the Mustang GT with the 4.6l - 3V . I pushed to allow the SGT models into the class . They were focused around the Mustang GT , Bullitt , and CS/GT coupe models initially and I had to submit a parts list showing what was different between the various models before they were accepted . I wanted to go racing with a Shelby not just another Mustang and they still to this day ask me why a Shelby instead of just a regular Mustang - I tell them I'm just a freak - A SHELBY FREAK ! :yahoo:

T/A is sooooo expensive - travel costs and a lot more ! If you can pull it off , I'll help crew for you when you come out west . I had that chance 25 years ago - blew it and my window of opportunity passed . Some day when we get together - remind me and I'll tell you a story .

Some people have asked what body mods are allowed in SPEC MUSTANG :

The front bumper can be replaced with a Steeda competition fascia # 555-0500

The optional hood is a fiberglass Tiger Racing Heat Extractor Hood

The rear wing is a Steeda # 307-0009

The antenna may be removed but all other body panels must be intact and of 2005-09 OEM/direct replacement stock (including side mirrors and side skirts)

Fender lips may be rolled but not altered ( stretched / modified ) in any other manner

Front and rear tow hooks are required and must be welded , not bolted on

Here are some pic's of the hood and front bumper and a few ather cars. Enjoy JJ

post-37474-0-83893700-1374415958_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-63674200-1374416090_thumb.jpgpost-37474-0-00939000-1374416161_thumb.jpg

post-37474-0-83893700-1374415958_thumb.jpg

post-37474-0-63674200-1374416090_thumb.jpg

post-37474-0-00939000-1374416161_thumb.jpg

Tim,

If I had your money I'd not only run T/A but I would send money and sponsor a guy out in California who can barely afford to build a SPEC MUSTANG. I hear that he's probably going to be going through a lot of tires , gas , and brakes ! He's a really nice guy and could use your support ( I think that he even has a red drivers suit ) . He won a couple of regional championships and PCRRC back around the millennium ( 2001-2002 ) , semi-retired but figures that he has just enough left in the tank to win one more . National racing not in the cards . PM me and I'll give you the address to send the checks to the " Albino500 / GT Racing Fund Program " ( sorry - not tax deductible )

:superhero:

If you want to look over the current rules you can find them at http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/4476/49/

Once there just select "SMG Rules" as an option to get to the pdf file of the current rules.

As with any new class category there are addendum and/or changes that occur during the inaugural season .

Tim,

If I had your money I'd not only run T/A but I would send money and sponsor a guy out in California who can barely afford to build a SPEC MUSTANG. I hear that he's probably going to be going through a lot of tires , gas , and brakes ! He's a really nice guy and could use your support ( I think that he even has a red drivers suit ) . He won a couple of regional championships and PCRRC back around the millennium ( 2001-2002 ) , semi-retired but figures that he has just enough left in the tank to win one more . National racing not in the cards . PM me and I'll give you the address to send the checks to the " Albino500 / GT Racing Fund Program " ( sorry - not tax deductible )

:superhero:

:hysterical: Im evaluating the move to TA, I have to figure out if there is any way to do this. If you had my money, you would still have an interior in the car and driving it on the street. If I had half a brain, Id just give this up. But, I don't so onward. In all seriousness, Im gonna have to find sponsors to pull this off. My car fits perfectly in TA so I don't need a lot of upgrades but, I do need the money for entrance fees, fuels and tires.

Good luck with that - it would be great to pull off . I just don't want you to get caught going into the basements of nearby churches and talking old ladies out of their BINGO money like politicians do. You might like it and could end up being the president instead of a race car driver. :hysterical2: Call Bob Z and ask him how he scored with the local Ford dealer backing his car . :idea:

The main hoop has a diagonal bar and a harness ( horizontal ) bar and is mounted on the torque boxes , the "A" pillar bars come forward from the main hoop and go into box mounts on the outer frame rails to give additional foot area ( this car has the "dead brake" pedal pedestal welded to the floor ) , there is a cross bar at the top of the windshield and a dash bar which go between the 2 roof/"A" pillar bars , the rear section ( behind the main hoop ) is comprised of 2 straight back bars and 2 cross diagonal bars which meet at a floor stand located at the rear shock/coilover attachment point . At NO POINT are the bars gusseted or tied into the unibody except at the base mounts . The rules do NOT ALLOW for a cross bar between the 2 rear shock mounts and the rear bulkhead is NOT REQUIRED unless there is fluids ( differential cooler / rear axle reservoir / vent tanks ) located within the trunk area . The side door bars are 2 row with adjoining bars ( required on the drivers side ) I chose to do the same on the passenger side but you can go with a "X" design ( passenger side only ) if desired . You can go wide with the door bars ( for us big guys ) but you CANNOT go to the point where you modify the factory door impact / safety bar - it must stay fully intact ! I tried to create as much of a crumple zone between the cage and the passengers for maximum protection ( I plan on walking away from a crash - if it happens ). There is a required driver's side window net and on board fire suppression system that we will show in later pics .

The rules only call out for a 2.5 lb fire extinguisher to be mounted on a metal bracket . However , I believe like many others that hand held fire extinguishers are better put to use to help others ( things outside the car ) and have opted to go with an on board 5 lb fire bottle system which I feel works better to protect me in buying more time to get out of the car in case of a fire . I have one that has 2 discharge nozzles - one in the engine compartment ( to spray over the fuel inlet area ) and one coming out below the dash ( to spray the passenger compartment ). The SCCA looks to the fire bottle system as an upgrade from a hand held unit and allows for it . They do say that if you want you can have both in the car . They also do not want people getting out of their cars to put out fires on other vehicles - that is what turn workers and safety crews are for. The whole idea is to be able to get to a safe place ( preferably as close as possible to a turn worker station ) and have enough time to get out of the car safely if a fire does occur . The type of fire suppressant is also one to consider because of the effects on being to breathe as you're trying to get out of the car - check for the FIA and a SCCA approved unit before buying .

Archived