TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCCA SPEC MUSTANG Class

Kevin Patten

SPEC MUSTANG class will be making changes for the 2015 race season. Here are some of the changes;

M-3075-RA lower control arms will be allowed

Steeda 555-4104 spherical differential mount to be allowed

Any type/origin of upper third link and mount bracket may be used as long as it retains original mounting holes on body and differential

Rear sway bars (must be OEM 18mm or 22mm)

Moroso 20548 road race oil pan allowed

M-6038-R or Prothane 6-505-BL motor mounts are allowed

Radiator side deflectors (M-8310-A) will be allowed

Removal of EVAP/emissions system components is permitted

Meanwhile, the 315RWHP/325RWTQ limits will remain in tact.

One of the goals is to come up with a spec tire to be used in the class by mid season to aid in operating costs during the racing season.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff - strip down that GTH#102 and get back out there bud - you could be a contender ! (tow it with the Lightning like I do ) GOOD TIMES !

Just reading this entire thread. Fun stuff. Jeff, you could represent us with the Black & Gold. :)

Looking forward to Laguna Seca on Black Friday and checking out Russ and Kevin's SPEC stangs and some of the other Nor Cal SAAC folks that will be doing the track.

Kristina echo's that sentiment, Harald! She had her first open track passenger laps today riding along with Tom in his Boss 302, then jumped right in the Shelby GT race car for back to back sessions. Needless to say she was a happy camper. :wub2:

Thanks Again Tom and Kevin! :rating:

20141128_152918_zps98a46489.jpg

I'm glad that you had a fun time.

Just our way of saying thanks for the support this year.

JJ (redneckgt) got a couple of sessions in with driving 07SGT4755.

Ended the day after giving Kristina a ride because I had 4 corded tires !

Good day and GOOD TIMES !

I think that Harald had the best time when we passed the Ferrari Tesstarossa in the red group session.

Just a shout out to Albino500 for the fun ride today. Best Black Friday I have ever had and greatly appreciated. If I heard correct we hit 147. Russ done a nice job with these cars and their handling characteristics.

:lol: Sorry Harald - we only got to 128 MPH on the front straightaway. We were being timed @ 1 minute 47 seconds laps times which is off about 3 seconds a lap off of normal "race" lap times.

Still good times with old tires and a passenger in the car !

:lol: Sorry Harald - we only got to 128 MPH on the front straightaway. We were being timed @ 1 minute 47 seconds laps times which is off about 3 seconds a lap off of normal "race" lap times.

Still good times with old tires and a passenger in the car !

OK, miss understood what I had overheard. Did not check the clock @ the front straightaway. That said, for me it was about the handling characteristics. She handled well in the turns. Thank you again for a great run and I wish your team a great next season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the latest news in the SCCA SMG is that they are being invited to join in with the USTCC series group of NASA on the west coast. This would mean some cable television coverage since the US Touring Car Championship Series is a semi-pro class which is an opener for various pro class groups (including the NASCAR race @ Sonoma Raceway). The SMG cars would have to go down to a 275/35-18 tire and adjust their weight to compete against other brand cars. (BMWs pretty much dominate right now in USTCC).

First round (race 1&2) in the Western Conference of the SCCA US Majors Tour at Fontana Raceway was where this years first sighting of a SPEC MUSTANG was to be. Mitch Marvosh qualified for both races but unfortunately blew a front Koni strut and was not able to run in either race. The car was just too unstable for the speeds reached on the high banked oval portions he claimed. Mitch is sponsored by TV/movie producer Dick Wolf of Wolf Films.

• 2 weeks later...

The next Western Conference SCCA US Majors race for the SPEC MUSTANGS will be @ Chuckwalla Raceway in Calif. on March 21st/22nd. They run in the T2 class category. Russ Peterson is signed up in his Shelby GT SPEC MUSTANG 07SGT2425. Last year Russ finished the Majors tour 2nd overall in the Western Conference and the title wasn't even locked down until the final race @ Portland International Raceway.

• 3 weeks later...

SFR SCCA season opener is March 7th/8th at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, Calif. and there is 9 SMG cars entered as of today. No Shelby GT cars entered but Nicole (who is sponsored by SPP in her Mustang GT) is entered.

Addison Lee was leading until he pulled off track on lap 3 and David Ray holds off Mark Drennan for the win by 0.122 seconds in the first SMG SFR regional race of 2015.

Edit: Addison forgot to put gas in his car before going out on track. :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

SPEC MUSTANGS finished 1st and 2nd place in the SCCA US Tour races at Chuckwalla Raceway in the T2 class. Russ Peterson won both T2 races in his 2007 Shelby GT SPEC MUSTANG and Mitch Marvosh finished second in both races. Next week will be a SFR SCCA regional race at Laguna Seca Raceway with 8 SPEC MUSTANGS signed up for competition so far.

SPEC MUSTANGS finished 1st and 2nd place in the SCCA US Tour races at Chuckwalla Raceway in the T2 class. Russ Peterson won both T2 races in his 2007 Shelby GT SPEC MUSTANG and Mitch Marvosh finished second in both races. Next week will be a SFR SCCA regional race at Laguna Seca Raceway with 8 SPEC MUSTANGS signed up for competition so far.

Nice work at the wheel for Russ, and hats off to you KP and JJ for the build!

Mark Drennan wins the first SMG race of the weekend with a 14+ second lead at the finish over second place finisher David Ray. Congrats to Mark (his first season in a SPEC MUSTANG) whom is a former SCCA National Champion in the popular SPEC MIATA class. Looks like he is taking a liking to the SPEC MUSTANG and doing great right off the bat.

Mark Drennan wins the first SMG race of the weekend with a 14+ second lead at the finish over second place finisher David Ray. Congrats to Mark (his first season in a SPEC MUSTANG) whom is a former SCCA National Champion in the popular SPEC MIATA class. Looks like he is taking a liking to the SPEC MUSTANG and doing great right off the bat.

It isn't by chance a solid rear axle car is it ?

LOL...

Jer

Oh my, how did he even get such a vehicle around the track?

Yep - drivers with S197 and solid rear axles are STILL winning at the race tracks. I remember back with the SN95/Fox body cars when Griggs Racing used to take the IRS set ups out of cars to put in solid axles to be competitive.

Archived