TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SCCA SPEC MUSTANG Class

Kevin Patten

Over 510 entries for the Runoffs now. I think that 5 or 6 of the SMG drivers and their cars will be doing testing/practice up @ Thunderhill Raceway on Friday ( Sept 5th) at the Hooked on Driving HPDE which is in support of Prostate cancer research. I'll be there with mine getting in some seat time and giving rides to those donating to the cause.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SPEC MUSTANGS are racing at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey this weekend. It's a Double Regional event and there is only one more race in November to cap off the season as far as the SFR SCCA goes. There will be some of the SPEC MUSTANGS running in the Touring 2 class at the National Runoffs in October at Laguna as well.

Miller Motorsports / Ford Racing School is putting up for sale 28 2006/2007 Mustang GT school cars and 12 2008 FR500S for sale .

The school cars are going for $15,000 and the FR500S cars are going for $29,000.

Cars go on sale September 25th and are available for pick up on October 31st. Contact Travis Williams @ twilliams@millerperformancesusa.com for more info.

The school cars would be a cheap way into getting into racing and would make for a great starting point for a SPEC MUSTANG build.

Over 530 entries are set to run in the 2014 SCCA National Runoffs coming up at Laguna Sea Raceway in Monterey, California. There are 9 SPEC MUSTANGS running in the Touring 2 group.

Competitors will start showing up this next week from across the country and getting in practice sessions on Sept. 27/28. The Runoffs begin on October 6th and run through October 12th. The Touring 2 race is on Saturday, October 11th.

• 2 weeks later...

This is it - the 2014 SCCA National Runoffs are here at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey , Calif. and will be running now through next Sunday!!!!!!!

I think that it will air on TV around Nov. 30th.

KP, if you happen to hear who's going to be doing the TV coverage and you have a second, could you post it up here?

Mark

Yesterday we were in impound for 2 hours and passed with flying colors ( you would of thought that they had never seen a Shelby before - we got a lot of looks but NO VIOLATIONS ). Then when we were pulling out of impound we could not get the SGT into reverse all the way ( it would partially go in but would pop out of gear when Russ would let out the clutch). We got back to our pit area and found out that it also would not go into 5th gear also. Sooooo... JJ and I had to swap out the transmission ( luckily I had a spare at JJ's house up in Hollister). Got the trans swap done last night and got home @ midnight and then got up at 6 this morning to take the SGT back to the track and run our third and final qualifying session. Our lap times are getting better but so are others. We are qualified in 17th position for Saturdays race. It is unusually hot this week and everyone is chasing the track (very greasy in the afternoon and there is a lot of rubber from so many cars it is hard to find grip. Our race on Saturday is at 4:30 PM (Touring 2 group). I'll post more later in the Shelby GT Discussion section in the "So you want to go racing?" thread. I'm very tired.

As far as SPEC MUSTANGS running the T2 go in the 2014 SCCA National Runoffs here are the initial qualifying results after 3 rounds of qualifying;

Addison Lee in 6th position with a 1:38.319

Tony D'Alessandro in 11th position with a 1:41.133

David Ray in 12th position with a 1:41.552

Don Van Nortwick in 16th with a 1:42.841

Russ Peterson in 17th with a 1:43.379 ( the only Shelby GT )

Mitch Marvosh in 18th position with a 1:44.899

Nicole Jacque in 19th position with a 1:45.519

The fastest qualifier in T2 was Kurt Rezzetano in a 2012 Mustang GT turning a 1:36.301.

Well it was quite a wild race with action from the start! The SPEC MUSTANGS held their own but were not enough for the T2 cars. Tony D'Alessandro was the 7th place finisher in the race and he was the fastest of the SPEC MUSTANGS. Russ Peterson in 07SGT2425 finished in 11th place but there is a lot of protests going on still so, we won't know the final placements until tomorrow or maybe later.

There was a tangle up at the start of the race in turn 2 which took out the pole sitter and some others plus some extra contact going on and then some questions on whether or not some passed under a yellow flag.

OK. Saw your post, 11th. Not bad in the grand scheme of things. Heat I am sure was not any help this weekend as we have ben having warmer than usual weather.

Well it was quite a wild race with action from the start! The SPEC MUSTANGS held their own but were not enough for the T2 cars. Tony D'Alessandro was the 4th place finisher in the race and he was the fastest of the SPEC MUSTANGS. Russ Peterson in 07SGT2425 finished in 11th place but there is a lot of protests going on still so, we won't know the final placements until tomorrow or maybe later.

After reading this article...heck...you may do a lot better than 11th!!

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/so-many-spec-miatas-allegedly-cheated-that-seventh-plac-1645710255/+matthardigree?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

• 2 weeks later...

Well the SPEC MUSTANG GROUP had a meeting last night to go over proposals for rule changes for the 2015 race season. With the short notice of having the meeting being made, some drivers/owners were not able to attend. Concerns over the way the current rules were written was discussed and some changes were made. One main concern was with having the former Miller Challenge cars with their six speed transmissions (which happen to be running up front) continue to be able to run their independent configuration. It was decided that they would be able to run as they are until the end of next year and then have to switch over to the five speeds / 3.73:1 rear end ratio configuration. It was an entertaining evening to say the least but, no physical fights broke out. ;) Ryan Dettling from Jongbloed Racing Wheels ( one of the key supporters of SMG ) paid for everyone's dinner so a BIG " THANK YOU " goes out to him for that AND for his company's participation this last season. :thumbsup:

Well All - here are the final point standings (with 2 drops) for the 2014 San Francisco Region Championship Season in SPEC MUSTANG ( SMG )

1st - Addison Lee - 264 pts.

2nd - Nicole Jacque - 246 pts.

3rd - Kevin Patten - 198 pts.

4th - Mitch Marvosh - 176 pts.

5th - David Ray - 166 pts.

6th - Don VanNortwick - 138 pts.

7th - Ralph Borelli - 94 pts.

8th - Ted Hill - 54 pts.

9th - Russ Peterson - 50 pts.

10th - Jeff Francis - 50 pts.

11th - Darrell Anderson - 46 pts.

12th - Michael Wienreb - 36 pts.

13th - Jason Hoffmann - 16 pts.

14th - Dave Mani - 15 pts.

15th - Chris Tomaszewski - 14 pts.

16th Jeff Hoffmann - 13 pts.

17th - Tony D'Alessandro III - 0 pts.

Congrats to Addison for winning another season in 2014 :clapping: Trophies for the top three finishers in class will be presented at the SFR SCCA 2014 Awards Banquet on November 17 in Walnut Creek, California.

A Shelby in sanctioned racing on the podium. Much to be proud of KP, well done to you and your pit crew, JJ & KH :salute:

:clapping::worship::shift::thumbsup: :happy feet:

Thanks TD / Harald - was hoping to repeat history ( Shelby Mustangs won 49 years ago in the SCCA BP class ) as a tribute to Carroll. I think he was smiling down on Russ and I along with cheering us on.

Maybe we can pull it off next year as a 50th anniversary tribute to the first GT350R model racers. :shift:

Looks like SMG is going forward - had at least a dozen changes to the rules passed last night. Probably the most significant one being able to change over to a one piece metal drive shaft with serviceable u-joints. There still remains the ongoing controversy over the "grandfathered" clauses allowing the former Miller Challenge cars being able to run 6 speed transmissions verses the rest of us having to run five speeds.

Archived