TEAM SHELBY FORUM

considering selling the SGT

07SGT

I am considerng selling my 2007 SGT. I am the original owner and the vehicle is truly a garage queen. It has only about 7,800 miles and only about 200 miles in the last 2 years. One reason for selling is I need the money. But even if I could afford to keep it I have always been scared to death to drive it as I am afraid someone will hit it. And it means too much to me to see it hit. I know that is being overly protective but that is just me. The car means too much to me. I am the original owner and waited all my life for a Shelby. I know if I sell the vehilce I will always miss it.

I think that if you're THAT sentimental and attached to it, it would be a bad idea to sell it. If you do, you'll just be kicking yourself in the ass for the rest of your life for letting it go.

Agree with Grabber. I felt the same way about the '66 GTO I used to have, but I sold it to buy the Shelby I have now. As much as I love this car it wouldn't be the end of the world if I one day had to part with it. It's all about keeping one's priorities in order.

For the record, every girl ive been with was the best in the world when I first got with her, and then just the best until i found something better when I left them.....my wife is now a different matter.

.....but you aren't married to the car.

Get my point?

I was kinda in the same boat but I found a place where I could get the car insured for about 45k so now I'm not afraid to drive it as much. If something were to happen to it at least I know I could pay it off and possibly get another one.

Whom do you have insurance through for 45 K and if you don't mind my asking, how much per year?

I can barely squeeze through money wise each month and I hope I can hang on to the car. But, in reality, I will always just keep it in the garage so it is not hit. So I can't really enjoy the car because I worry about the car too much. I could probably buy a Mustang GT 5.0 and have a lot of fun with it where as I could never have that kind of fun with the Shelby because I worry about it too much. AGain, it would be different if I were Jay Leno and could just leave it in the garage and drive it a couple of times per year when I wanted to and not worry about it.

All I do it wash it, clay bar it, wax and polish, etc and change the oil and grease the fittings. I let it run in the garage for about an hour every 3-4 weeks. I know that sounds crazy but I am just starting to realize it is no life for me or the Shelby. I truly love the car. It is like an obsession. It is more than a girl friend or a wife. It is more like your child that you try to protect at all costs.

Whom do you have insurance through for 45 K and if you don't mind my asking, how much per year?

I can barely squeeze through money wise each month and I hope I can hang on to the car. But, in reality, I will always just keep it in the garage so it is not hit. So I can't really enjoy the car because I worry about the car too much. I could probably buy a Mustang GT 5.0 and have a lot of fun with it where as I could never have that kind of fun with the Shelby because I worry about it too much. AGain, it would be different if I were Jay Leno and could just leave it in the garage and drive it a couple of times per year when I wanted to and not worry about it.

All I do it wash it, clay bar it, wax and polish, etc and change the oil and grease the fittings. I let it run in the garage for about an hour every 3-4 weeks. I know that sounds crazy but I am just starting to realize it is no life for me or the Shelby. I truly love the car. It is like an obsession. It is more than a girl friend or a wife. It is more like your child that you try to protect at all costs.

I went through Farmers, but I know others are using Grundy, or other collector car companies. I tried Hagerty but they had a low yearly milage limit. May not hurt to shop around. Good luck

. I know that sounds crazy but I am just starting to realize it is no life for me or the Shelby. I truly love the car. It is like an obsession.

Start driving your SGT. Remember what Carroll said. They are meant to be driven.

Drive it to your second job! At least it will be fun driving to work.

I am driving the wheels off my SGT. My goal is to someday restore a high mileage SGT

To own one of these cars and not drive them, that's the real crime. These cars were built to drive. Drive it now and enjoy it before you do have to sell it. You will regret not driving it more when you do eventually sell it, time wasted in the garage. I never understood the garage queen mentality anyway.

I'm going to go against the tide. I know many people are thinking this just noone is willing to say it

They're great cars but this one seems to cause you no end of stress. It's time to sell it. I don't think you'll ever really drive it. And if some if the stress is related to finances then selling it now is the right thing to do. It will bring an infusion of cash (or pay off a loan) and relieve you of ongoing expenses like registration and insurance. Selling now will get you the best money - cars are depreciating possessions (in other words it won't be with more in 6 month than now- remember the maintenance costs suck it down even more). So relieve the stress and let it go. Should things improve in your situation then when you're ready to buy again there will be another low miles garage queen for even less

Good luck!

IMO the best choice in your situation especially on a financial point of view would be to buy a Mustang GT 5.0 and you will NOT regret it. I enjoy mine in every which way 365 days a year she's my girl. :happy feet:

Either drive it and enjoy it, or, sell it and get rid of your stress. These cars were meant to be driven, not stored away in a garage. Your garage should be where it gets parked and waxed. The garage isn't intended to be a prison or a museum.

I just drove my GT500 from ocean to ocean, putting on over 9700 miles. Sure it got a little dirty, but that cleans up in no time. My only regret is that I didn't run her a little harder.

I now have pictures of my GT500 on Route 66, Branson, Grand Canyon, Napa Valley, Shelby Museum, Larry Miller Museum and a bunch of other stops. Every picture and every mile brings on a smile.

I'm going to go against the tide. I know many people are thinking this just noo e willi g to say it

They're great cars but this one seems to cause you no end of stress. It's time to sell it. I don't think you'll ever really drive it. And if some if the stress is related to finances then selling it now is the right thing to do. It will bring an infusion of cash (or pay off a loan) and relieve you of ongoing expenses like registration and insurance. Selling now will get you the best money - cars are depreciating possessions (in other words it won't be with more in 6 month than now- remember the maintenance costs suck it down even more). So relieve the stress and let it go. Should things improve in your situation then when you're ready to buy again there will be another low miles garage queen for even less

Good luck!

EXACTLY the reason I sold the GT350. If you enjoy driving, you should sell that car and go out and buy something you can replace easily like you said. Lets leave the less and more Shelby out of the discussion, but perhaps there is another Shelby build out there you would be more comfortable driving. For me, selling the GT350 and going back to a GT500 made all the difference! Im taking it out for date night tonight!!

You could sell your SGT, and buy a 2007-2009 GT500 fairly reasonably, and way fun to drive. Replacement parts are a dealership away!

Drive it or sell it..........drives me nuts to see a 5 year old Shelby for sale with 500-600 miles on it. No way I could let mine sit knowing the enjoyment I get running her up through the gears. I secretly hope I catch red lights just so I can have another go at it!

Chip

You are all correct. And Tony is correct when he said it is a source of stress. It is just like obsessing over your children and their safety. But as I was growing up I always wanted a Shelby and never thought I would have that chance. When the 2007 SGT came out I stretched myself and did it. It is paid off but I could sell it and use the money for other things. But it is the obsession of protecting it, including not only from mileage but road salt and potential accidents, that keep it in the garage. Maybe I just needed to hear it form others.

Archived