TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Imposter GTS !?

PatentMan

I'd say so, this kid has other videos showing the multiple accessories he has added to his v6. The GTS cap does not look like the one I have on my GTS.....

Probably.

Or he changed a few things, like removing the letters SHELBY from the rear of the trunk lid.

Plus, I thought the front quarter panel badges should have been the rectangular "Powered by Ford" ones and not the running pony,.

I think morgan19s GTS V-6 has the Powerd by Ford badges.

I'm not sure where I get that this Mustang is a GTS imposter. Doesn't look like a GTS, doesn't have any GTS parts and don't see the owner referencing it as a GTS. He clearly says in the video that the spoiler is from a GT500 and that the vinyl stripes were from a local shop. Is there something I missed?

Also that burnout video was just sad.

Steve

Even though there is nothing to support that he specifically says it's a GTS or not, the mere fact that the letters on the fake gas cap say GTS, intimates he is a poser.

Then again, I suppose it could be a GTS and he has made cosmetic changes after the conversion.

As long as he is happy with his Mustang, good for him.

Yeah, the comments are hammering him regarding his burnout, or lack thereof.

I don't do burnouts, never tried it. I am trying to extend the service life of my tires.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I have to agree. It is obvious that the young fellow is very proud of his car. His pockets are probably not deep enough to afford a package. When I was his age owning a stable of mustangs was not even on my radar. I would love to have Big Red (1of1 67 gt500 vert) in my stable but I know there is no way. Sure hope I don't get bashed if I build a clone of her. You have your dreams and reality is what your can afford.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

True.

I have no issues with clones or tributes or whatever you want to call them, as long as you dont try to pass it off as the real thing.

I'll call it a tribute.

Full disclosure: I stuck a cobra fender emblem on my GTS even though it is not a GT500. So I can empathize. :surrender:

One day I'm going to find a 65-67 fastback and build a Shelby "tribute" because I certainly can't afford one on my pay. That or a 67-68 coupe for a Terlingua Racing Team tribute car...

Since Eric Rockwell (the Youtube posters name) is also a member of the GTS owners facebook page, we could ask him!!

I suspect it is not a Shelby GTS anyway.

Sent him a message on FB. He had emblem pros do the GTS faux gas cap. You can tell he's proud of the car and it is tastefully done. I think he has a little entrepeneurial spirit, so maybe he'll have the GTS conversion done later when his income increases.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll call it a tribute.

0) I wouldn't even call it that because it's nowhere close to being one.

1) If he had a real GTS, he probably wouldn't be changing shocks on it.

2) He changed his own shocks/springs (and probably does all the rest of the work on his car). How many kids nowadays would do that vs pestering mom/dad to spring for the cost of shop labor?

0) I wouldn't even call it that because it's nowhere close to being one.

1) If he had a real GTS, he probably wouldn't be changing shocks on it.

2) He changed his own shocks/springs (and probably does all the rest of the work on his car). How many kids nowadays would do that vs pestering mom/dad to spring for the cost of shop labor?

Do you live near Garden Ridge by any chance?

I think that car is fine. My 65 is a tribute with the GT350 Stripes on the rocker panels. I even have the GT350 badge on the rear panel. His car is not done any differently than a classic tribute. I think tributes are fine, as long as the owner is honest about it whether they are selling or just showing it off.

The only thing on the car that comes close is the GTS faux gas cap...

Nowhere on the car has he placed any SHELBY lettering or logo's. Heck, he even calls the rear wing a "GT500 spoiler", he never mentions "Shelby" in the video at all...

It's a stretch to call it an imposter, clone or tribute. Maybe he got the GTS idea from the Porsche Carrera GTS in one of his other videos? :shrug:

The only thing on the car that comes close is the GTS faux gas cap...

Nowhere on the car has he placed any SHELBY lettering or logo's. Heck, he even calls the rear wing a "GT500 spoiler", he never mentions "Shelby" in the video at all...

It's a stretch to call it an imposter, clone or tribute. Maybe he got the GTS idea from the Porsche Carrera GTS in one of his other videos? :shrug:

Sorry about all the controversy!

All I meant by the GTS was as you said the Carrera GTS! I wasn't trying to make a clone or anything.

Anyone that knows Shelby GTS's will know that this isnt one. And people who dont know what the GTS means wont know its even a Shelby!

All I meant by the GTS was as you said the Carrera GTS! I wasn't trying to make a clone or anything.

Anyone that knows Shelby GTS's will know that this isnt one. And people who dont know what the GTS means wont know its even a Shelby!

Either way, you have a beautiful and nicely modded Stang! Keep it up

Either way, you have a beautiful and nicely modded Stang! Keep it up

Archived