TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My key?

Hello ive got a quick question for you guys out there. I bought my shelby on sat. Where i work and left for vac on sunday. Ive only got the one key with my car right now and its the my key. Key is set to max 80 mph ( witch sucks) lol and i know it limits the raido vol as well. What else does the my key limit you to as well as the things ive already mentioned. Because i cant get the launch control or steering or the shocks button to work as i think they might be tied to the my key as well thank you

My key is designed to keep those you don't want or trust locked out of the car's full potential.

I have to admit that reading a post like this from someone with no prior history had me imagining someone's teenage son finding the valet key to Pop's Shelby while Mom and Pop are on vacation. It sure doesnt seem to me like a dealer would give one key, and preset the my key without the owner's permission, which doesn't come from the factory that way.

If my son did that, he would never drive my car again....just sayin

Is this a 2014 GT500? My '13 came with two standard keys. I don't have a MyKey.

You program one of them to be the Valet key. The problem I see with the OP is, you need the 'good' key to unprogram the My key.

Phill

Well, you should be able to. The car comes with two standard keys, but once you have the car, you can choose to make one of them a limited key through the mykey app in the center cluster screen. It is under the vehicle menu i believe. Then you have one admin key and one mykey, and if you lost the admin key...you have to go back to a dealer, and its not cheap.

Or if you prefer....

What ^ he said...lol

Guys its not like that. I work for a ford dealership. I took the car in on trade and bought it. The owner only had the one key. My key with him when he traded. I left in the car the very next day for vac. The key should be at the dealership when i return on monday and even if its not ill have a key cut and programmed for free because ive got conections like that. Lol!!! I was simply asking what all the my key limited the car. Thats all.

I was simply asking what all the my key limited the car. Thats all.

That information is on your owners manual, generally kept in the glove compartment!

Phill

It basically cuts all performance programs off and then limits the vehicle based on whatever the owner sets. I have 3 fords, they all have it.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I always wonder why people at dealerships never bother to learn the features of the very vehicles they sell and service.

Unless you work at GM dealership or something like that...which in that case, RTFM...

;-)

Guys its not like that. I work for a ford dealership. I took the car in on trade and bought it. The owner only had the one key. My key with him when he traded. I left in the car the very next day for vac. The key should be at the dealership when i return on monday and even if its not ill have a key cut and programmed for free because ive got conections like that. Lol!!! I was simply asking what all the my key limited the car. Thats all.

Something does not add up. You work for a Ford dealership and don't understand about My Key? WTF?

MyKey

PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION

MyKey® allows you to program keys with restricted driving modes to promote good driving habits. All but one of the keys programmed to the vehicle can be activated with these restricted modes. Any keys that have not been programmed are referred to as an administrator key or admin key which can be used to:

• create a restricted key

• program optional MyKey settings

• clear all MyKey features altogether.

Once a key has been programmed, you can access the following information using the information display control:

• How many admin keys and MyKeys are programmed to the vehicle.

• The total distance the vehicle has been driven with a MyKey.

For vehicles equipped with intelligent access (push button start), when both a MyKey and an admin intelligent access key (fob) are present, the admin fob will be recognized by the vehicle to start the engine.

Standard Settings

These settings cannot be changed.

• Belt-Minder. This cannot be disabled and the five–minute timer does not expire. The audio system is muted when MyKey Belt-Minder is activated.

• Early low fuel. Warnings are displayed in the information display control followed by an audible tone when the estimated remaining fuel in the tank will allow 75 miles (121 kilometers) of travel or less.

• Driver assist features, if equipped on your vehicle, are forced on: parking aid, blind spot information system (BLIS) with cross traffic alert and the collision warning system.

Optional Settings

These settings can be configured right after a MyKey is first created or changed afterward with an admin key.

• Vehicle speed limit of 80 mph (130 km/h). Visual warnings are displayed followed by an audible tone when vehicle speed has reached 80 mph (130 km/h).

• Vehicle speed warning of 45, 55 or 65 mph (75, 90, or 105 km/h).

Visual warnings are displayed followed by an audible tone when the preselected vehicle speed is exceeded.

• Audio system maximum volume of 45%. A message in the audio system is displayed when attempting to exceed the limited volume.

• AdvanceTrac. The system cannot be turned off when Always-on has been set.

CREATING A MYKEY

Use the information display controls to create a MyKey.

For Type 1 information display controls:

1. Insert the key you want to program into the ignition or, if the vehicle is equipped with push button start, put the Intelligent Access key in the backup slot; see the Starting and Stopping the Engine chapter for the backup slot location.

2. Turn the ignition on.

3. Press SETUP using the information display buttons until PRESS RESET TO CREATE MYKEY is displayed.

4. Press and release the RESET button. HOLD RESET TO CONFIRM MYKEY will be displayed.

5. Press and hold the RESET button for two seconds until MARK THIS AS RESTRICTED is displayed Wait until KEY RESTRICTED AT NEXT START is displayed.

The key is successfully programmed. Make sure you label it so you can distinguish it from the admin keys.

For Type 2 information display controls:

1. Insert the key you want to program into the ignition or, if the vehicle is equipped with push button start, put the Intelligent Access key in the backup slot; see the Starting and Stopping the Engine chapter for the backup slot location.

2. Turn the ignition on.

3. At the main menu screen select SETTING then MYKEY by pressing OK or the right arrow key.

4. Press OK to select CREATE MYKEY.

5. Hold OK as prompted until you see MARK THIS KEY AS RESTRICTED.

The key is successfully programmed. Make sure you label it so you can distinguish it from the admin keys.

To program optional settings for the key(s), see the Programming/Changing Optional Settings chapter.

Programming/Changing Optional Settings

Note: All programmed keys can be cleared within the same key cycle in which a key was programmed, otherwise an admin key is required to clear the keys. To clear all keys, see Clearing all MyKeys.

You can access the optional settings through the information display controls.

For Type 1 information display settings

1. Press SETUP until RESET FOR MYKEY SETTINGS is displayed.

2. Press and release the RESET button to display MyKey setup menus.

3. Press the SETUP button to display the next menu to scroll through your choices.

4. On any of the menus, press RESET to highlight your choice with the <…>.

5. Press SETUP to enter your choice. The next optional setting will be displayed.

6. Repeat Steps 4 and 5 until you are done changing the optional settings.

For Type 2 information display settings

1. Turn the ignition on using an admin key.

2. Access the main menu and select Settings, then MyKey.

3. Use the arrow buttons to get to an optional feature.

4. Press OK or > to scroll through settings.

5. Press OK or > to make a selection.

CLEARING ALL MYKEYS

Note: All programmed MyKeys can be cleared within the same key cycle in which a MyKey was created, otherwise an admin key is required to clear the keys.

To clear all MyKeys (which removes all restrictions and returns them to admin key status), use the information display controls to do the following:

For Type 1 information display settings

1. Press SETUP until PRESS RESET TO CLEAR MYKEY is displayed.

2. Press and release the RESET button. HOLD RESET TO CONFIRM CLEAR is displayed.

3. Press and hold the RESET button for two seconds until ALL MYKEYS CLEARED is displayed.

For Type 2 information display settings

1. Access the main menu and select Settings, then MyKey.

2. Scroll to Clear All and press the OK button.

3. Hold the OK button until ALL MYKEYS CLEARED is displayed.

CHECKING MYKEY SYSTEM STATUS

The information display controls provide information about keys programmed to the vehicle:

MYKEY MILES: Tracks mileage when a MyKey is used. If mileage does not accumulate as expected, then the MyKey is not being used by the intended user. The only way to reset this to zero is by clearing MyKeys. If the mileage is lower than the last time you checked, then the key system has been recently reset.

# MYKEY(S): Indicates how many MyKeys are programmed to the vehicle. Can also be used to detect deletion of a MyKey.

# ADMIN KEY(S): Indicates how many admin keys are programmed to the vehicle. Can also be used to detect if an additional key has been programmed to the vehicle.

InformationDisplayControl_zps75ee2551.jp

Yep i do work for a ford dealership and i do understand how the my key works. But trust me it affects different vehicles in different ways. I had not got a chance to see what all was affected using the my key on the gt500 because we have only had one new one since ive been there in 9 months. I sell 17 to 25 vehicles a month so i must be doing something right. Anyways i dont mean to make a big deal out of this i simply ask a question to see if someone could help out. Sorry i dont know it all!!!

Well, congrats on the gt500! Do read the manual as it has a TON of features and 8 different driving modes that you should be as familiar as possible with.

...oh, and unless you have kids that can drive, dump the mykey.

For the record, imagine how much better you could sell Ford vehicles if they just took a little time to really show all sales people the vehicles top to bottom. I always hate walking into the dealerships and hearing inaccurate information like how every year is the last year of the 500, and how many sales guys can get me a gt500 with an automatic.

(I have had a few sales guys swear to me that they could, so I told them I would pay 10k over sticker for a factory automatic GT500.)

It's sooo funny to see them scurry off with a grin from ear to ear, only to come back trying to spin it as how much more fun a manual would be, or pass off a SGT as a 500.

(I have had a few sales guys swear to me that they could, so I told them I would pay 10k over sticker for a factory automatic GT500.)

It's sooo funny to see them scurry off with a grin from ear to ear, only to come back trying to spin it as how much more fun a manual would be, or pass off a SGT as a 500.

Or tell you their allocation for AT GT500's is already sold....

NEVER buy a car from a Salesman who tries to bullshit you through a sale. I 'worked' a guy (the 3rd or 4th they traded me off on) for almost 5 hours on a Mercedes Benz ML55 (AMG) who didn't know WTF he had. My wife eventually walked out, told me later "you were having fun and weren't going to buy it so I knew I could leave). I knew 100 times more than they did about the car. He couldn't tell me *why* he wanted so much more money for it, other than 'it's the SPORT model"!

I wanted it for $30K OTD, he held at $30K plus fees so I walked (for about $2-3K). They ended up dumping it wholesale for WAY less than $30K (my wife saw the original sales girl working at as a bank teller and she told my wife).

The idjits (and I am SO glad I didn't buy it now!)

Know your product!

Phill

Archived