TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just a thought

NMAv

I've been actively involved on this forum for about 2.5 years now and recently I've watched the degree of "pettism" escalate for reasons I can't understand. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences but can we remember to be respectful of others and their opinions. If your comments serve no purpose but to demean or criticize, do we really need to hear them? There is a lot of fantastic information available on this site, let's not clutter it up with petty BS. Please.

Common sense is in order here. Posting "opinions" on Team Shelby saying that some Shelbys are not "real" Shelbys will most certainly provoke opposing "opinions."

True, but that is not the only subject by any means. I'm thinking of SAI build quality and parts, oils, tires, emblems and placements, interiors, seats, too many to list. Best just to stay away from it all.

I've noticed this myself since I've joined. The posts have become a little nasty. Granted some posts have to be responded to, in my case trying to offer up an explanation that proves someone else's angry post and/or information offered is crap or junk. But yea, there have also been more posts attacking personal character or the integrity of SAI as well.

Lots of anger.

I concur that we should all be civil and tolerant. BUT, we should all feel absolutely free to express an opinion without having someone get nasty towards them. A forum offers the opportunity to not only exchange ideas and information but opinions. You don't have to agree with the person. But everyone has a right to express an opinion. And guess what.....it may not agree with your opinion. But we learn by listening to others rather than threatening or trying censor them. When the day comes that we allow some on here to censor others for merely expressing opinions then it will be time to leave. We should be allowed to express opinions AND DEBATE. And at the end of the day some will agree and some will not. Then we agree to disagree. But anyone that thinks that everyone will knuckle under to a few on here that rant and rave and try to bully people are mistaken. When we censor we eventually harness freedom of expression and ingenuity. Lets not make the mistake of being only Shelby Political Correct speech. None of us are perfect. The only perfect man was hung on a cross. So let's continue to allow freedom of speech., Some thing many of us have fought for, and many have died for. Freedom of speech without crossing the lines of civility. We can all be more tolerant and most importantly, respectful of others. Again, just because someone offers an opinion different from your does not make that person wrong. Again, we can politely agree to disagree.

I concur that we should all be civil and tolerant. BUT, we should all feel absolutely free to express an opinion without having someone get nasty towards them. A forum offers the opportunity to not only exchange ideas and information but opinions. You don't have to agree with the person. But everyone has a right to express an opinion. And guess what.....it may not agree with your opinion. But we learn by listening to others rather than threatening or trying censor them. When the day comes that we allow some on here to censor others for merely expressing opinions then it will be time to leave. We should be allowed to express opinions AND DEBATE. And at the end of the day some will agree and some will not. Then we agree to disagree. But anyone that thinks that everyone will knuckle under to a few on here that rant and rave and try to bully people are mistaken. When we censor we eventually harness freedom of expression and ingenuity. Lets not make the mistake of being only Shelby Political Correct speech. None of us are perfect. The only perfect man was hung on a cross. So let's continue to allow freedom of speech., Some thing many of us have fought for, and many have died for. Freedom of speech without crossing the lines of civility. We can all be more tolerant and most importantly, respectful of others. Again, just because someone offers an opinion different from your does not make that person wrong. Again, we can politely agree to disagree.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful right. I served our country as well. However, Freedom of speech isn't freedom to speak your mind without consequences. They are legally two very distinct things. Sure one has the right to say anything, but that doesn't mean there will not be consequences for invoking that right.

Point being, and not necessarily directed at just this post, there is a way to say things where you can convey your opinions without enflaming others who may disagree. Debate is good, opinions and ideas are great. Taking time to word things ... priceless.

And I'm certainly not advocating censorship. And it is OK to gang up on Jer .....

Common sense is in order here. Posting "opinions" on Team Shelby saying that some Shelbys are not "real" Shelbys will most certainly provoke opposing "opinions."

Yes, that is all part of mature exchange of ideas and opinions. But I am sure we can all agree that we can disagree without being nasty, or trying to bully others, etc. An analogy would be I truly have an extreme dislike for someone that would burn the American flag. However, I respect their right to do so and their opinion even though it does not agree with mine. OK, maybe that was a poor analogy as I would probably not allow someone to burn the flag in my presence if I had the ability, including the use of physical force, to stop them. But an exchange of whether a car is a Shelby, a true Shelby, more of a Shelby, less of a Shelby, etc is merely an exchange or debate of opinions. And we can all just agree, disagree or agree to disagree. Posting an opinion is not meant to hurt someone else nor should they take it personal. It is just an opinion. At the end of the day this country, this world, and even our Shelbys have far greater needs and issues than people politely expressing their opinions. Some people on this site seem to think that if you do not agree with them you are automatically wrong. And they are going to silence you. Wake up. It's a big world out there with lots of information and ideas. We can all learn something on this site from others. Even if it is just a different point of view or looking at an issue from another perspective. In the end we should all try to not make issues personal, or take issues personal as it is just a Shelby forum. Nothing more, nothing less. I will do my best not to make issues personal and I hope others will also.

When the topic comes up re Shelbys, real Shelbys, more of a Shelby, less of a Shelby, not a real Shelby, etc, comes up anyone that expresses a thought is expressing only their opinion. Lets face it. At the end of the day, the end of the decade or whenever, the subject of real Shelby, v not a real Shelby v more of a Shelby v less of a Shelby will be decided. And not by us on the forum. We can only offer opinions. But the issue will be decided by the market place based on supply and demand, and uniqueness, probably HP, and desirability. That is whom will determine these issues. Everyone else just has an opinion just like everyone else. Unless they have a crystal ball. So lets allow opinions, without censorship or being nasty and learn from each other. None of us have all the information and none of us have that crystal ball. Again, don't hate..........appreciate.

I've been actively involved on this forum for about 2.5 years now and recently I've watched the degree of "pettism" escalate for reasons I can't understand. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences but can we remember to be respectful of others and their opinions. If your comments serve no purpose but to demean or criticize, do we really need to hear them? There is a lot of fantastic information available on this site, let's not clutter it up with petty BS. Please.

+1

The thing with internet forums is you can't stop people who get bent out of shape easily from participating to some degree. What you are describing is not specific to this forum. Its a general problem. Only the members of this forum as a group can choose to keep their posts above board. I prefer to have an open forum where all opinions are welcome as long as there is mutual respect among the participants.

May I suggest that if anyone out there gets the erge to bash someone else or speak of hatred on a topic? Walk away from the computer, grab your car keys and go for a safe, legal drive! I know when ever I feel upset, I take my car for a spin and that makes me feel better.

For those of you that can't, grab your kids or your own shoot em up video game and do some destroying to get it out of your system! I would suggest playing Grand Theft Auto IV to receive the best stress reliever for any situation. Then when you are done getting it out of your system, chime back in!

Purposely posting "opinions" that aren't true (ex: "Carroll Shelby had nothing to do with the current GT500, it's just a marketing ploy," etc.) for whatever reasons is wrong and ignorant. You may be able to get away with that on a GM forum but not here. No one here was ever "nasty" to anyone- if you think that's bad, try going over to some other forums and try to post some ignorant BS there and see what happens. Time to pull up your pink panties.

Secondo, your comments are the type that I feel, IMO, are the nasty and bullying type. Comments such as time to pull up your pink panties, etc, or your former go to wal mart and buy a pink barbie mustang etc, IMO, are the types that are out of line. I don't recall making similar remarks to you.

And comments such as Shel had little or nothing to do with the GT 500, it is a marketing ploy, is an opinion. Which I, and many others, are entitled to. As you are entitled to your opinion. And when you say my comment is wrong and ignorant, that is your opinion. I have as much right to my opinion as you do your opinion. But you don't see me making childish comments to you about a pink mustang or pink panties, somehow infering that others are possibly less of a man than you because they do not share your opinion. Again, people should be able to express their opinion without your constant attempts at bashing and bullying. And many of us have knowledge of Shelby, the man and the organization, from many, many years ago. We often times have opinions based on fact and history.

If you really hate me that much just try sending a PM rather than subjecting eveyone on this site to your malice. Let's both just put aside the past and move forward in a positive manner from now on. OK?

True, but that is not the only subject by any means. I'm thinking of SAI build quality and parts, oils, tires, emblems and placements, interiors, seats, too many to list. Best just to stay away from it all.

WELL........if you stop talking about those topics, all that's left is Sex, Politics and Cartoons............ :hysterical:

When the topic comes up re Shelbys, real Shelbys, more of a Shelby, less of a Shelby, not a real Shelby, etc, comes up anyone that expresses a thought is expressing only their opinion. Lets face it. At the end of the day, the end of the decade or whenever, the subject of real Shelby, v not a real Shelby v more of a Shelby v less of a Shelby will be decided. And not by us on the forum. We can only offer opinions. But the issue will be decided by the market place based on supply and demand, and uniqueness, probably HP, and desirability. That is whom will determine these issues. Everyone else just has an opinion just like everyone else. Unless they have a crystal ball. So lets allow opinions, without censorship or being nasty and learn from each other. None of us have all the information and none of us have that crystal ball. Again, don't hate..........appreciate.

Actually, the market place does not determine what a real Shelby is. It does dictate the level of desirability of a particular Shelby Model. I sold my 08 GT500 because I got an offer I thought was good to sell. I purchased my KR because I thought it would be more desirable than the standard SHELBY GT500. I think we can all agree, there are differences in the Shelby models. Its more about numbers than any "real Shelby" argument. You can deny that Carroll had anything to do with the GT500. You would be wrong, but you have a right to express you wrong opinion :) If you get called out, you should not be surprised though. Will a GT500 be worth as much as a KR, I doubt it, will it be worth as much as a Shelby GT, time will tell. And you are correct, my Chrystal ball is not working well.

But, if you look at the past, the original GT350 is a very expensive car. Its a real Shelby. The 67-70 are more affordable, they are real Shelby's. The 68 GT500 KR is a very expensive car, wait, it was made at AO Smith? Its a real Shelby. The Dodge products are a dime a dozen, yup, they are real Shelby's.

Different cars, same name, all real. Some are affordable, some are not (unless you Warren ;) )

A Shelby that is not real has a name, its called a clone.

I always marvel at the fact many people seem to care what others think, especially opinions and comments, etc. I try not to care about what others think about most anything, it helps avoid unnecessary stress........ :happy feet:

I've seen your posts at SAAC forums as well. You seem to care a lot about making sure people think any Shelby is not as much a Shelby as yours.

I stated part of the desirability, and subsequent price, is based on HP. Lets face it, a Shelby GT is more rare than a GT 500, but the GT 500 has the HP and is therefore, IMO, more desirable and hence may be worth more some day. I think HP will always be a huge factor as far as collectability and desirability, especially to Shelby afficianados.

I think the relatively low HP and low dollar Chrysler Shelbys will effect their eventual market price. They are just not as much fun to drive or brag about. The GT 500 will always be fun to drive and brag about. The only thing better than 500 HP is 550 HP and then 662 HP.

I've seen your posts at SAAC forums as well. You seem to care a lot about making sure people think any Shelby is not as much a Shelby as yours.

Sorry, I will not respond in kind, I really don't care what you think, but of course respect your opinion. Cheers!

Freedom of speech is a wonderful right. I served our country as well. However, Freedom of speech isn't freedom to speak your mind without consequences. They are legally two very distinct things. Sure one has the right to say anything, but that doesn't mean there will not be consequences for invoking that right.

Point being, and not necessarily directed at just this post, there is a way to say things where you can convey your opinions without enflaming others who may disagree. Debate is good, opinions and ideas are great. Taking time to word things ... priceless.

And I'm certainly not advocating censorship. And it is OK to gang up on Jer .....

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I'll say two things here:

1. In my JOB INTERVIEW, I told the Shelby execs that this job was going to require a person who would walk out on these forums with a target on their back, and take a lot of heat for past issues, opinions, etc... So I DO expect to be approached, sometimes aggressively, by the disappointed, the disenfranchised, and the perpetually entitled. I was not proven wrong... LOL. But I'll bet a lot of people now feel some transparency from the regular presence of an SA employee.

2. Anyone who can't understand the spirit of this site should be forced for one week to only view and participate in some of the OTHER Mustang sites, where the level of decorum, common sense, and fair play are sometimes a travesty. We've got a special thing here, and while I DO see a few NOTORIOUSLY rude folks here every so often, I believe the general population know to just "let that guy tire himself out". I've been a Shelby owner and TS member for years, and I know chalk from cheese. You all do, too.

Jer

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

1. In my JOB INTERVIEW, I told the Shelby execs that this job was going to require a person who would walk out on these forums with a target on their back, and take a lot of heat for past issues, opinions, etc... So I DO expect to be approached, sometimes aggressively, by the disappointed, the disenfranchised, and the perpetually entitled. I was not proven wrong... LOL. But I'll bet a lot of people now feel some transparency from the regular presence of an SA employee.

2. Anyone who can't understand the spirit of this site should be forced for one week to only view and participate in some of the OTHER Mustang sites, where the level of decorum, common sense, and fair play are sometimes a travesty. We've got a special thing here, and while I DO see a few NOTORIOUSLY rude folks here every so often, I believe the general population know to just "let that guy tire himself out". I've been a Shelby owner and TS member for years, and I know chalk from cheese. You all do, too.

Jer

1. Plus all the great work getting us some incredible deals, like the SGT-H hood now sitting in my basement. Thanks, Jer.

2. Couldn't agree more. The OP goes back 2.5 years, but before that there were some godawful wars between TS members

waged on these forums. (Who can forget the pro-Amy, anti-Amy factions... or some folk getting banned which hasn't happened

in quite a while.) So despite the occasional flare ups, it has gotten tamer in the past few years.

-Tom

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Jer

Thanks Jer, i am also a member of some of those Mustang (and other) sites, and I would agree. BTW, some here appreciate SAI and enjoy the vehicles and parts and have the highest regards for SAI and their employees, others don't, but we all respect each other's opinions, right?

Archived