TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Won't pass inspection!!

Howdy, been a while since I was on here. Recession kept the GT500 parked for a few years but now she's blowing up the streets in NH.

Anyway, last time I had a sticker done was in 2007 and I hadn't pulled the battery before.

Only upgrades are the JLT Cold air kit and their Evolution tune for it.

I went to get a sticker the other day and it failed due to 4 or 5 sensors not being "Ready"

It was a Sat so I called JLT with no success and Evolution has yet to return my call.

Is the only solution putting in the stock airbox and re-flashing to stock?

If so, that's a pain in the butt and I can't believe that they wouldn't leave those sensors on with the basic tune.

Any ideas?

Are you saying you had to remove the battery? If so how far have you driven it since reconnecting it?

I believe new cars have to be driven a certain number of miles to get the computer to reset specific

codes to be able to pass inspection. Something like 100 miles should do it. Then again I could

be totally off base.

The O2 sensor, evap, and a couple others I can't recall.

I've read about the drive info to reset after the battery dies or is pulled, however I've put over 2,000 miles on it this summer before going for an inspection (lawbreaker)

Highway, city, 3 hr drive through Vermont mountains, etc. Should've reset by now I'd think right?

When we store our cars, we disconnect the battery since the storage facility does not have eletrical outlets for us to use a battery tender. Two years ago, I took the GT500 in for inspection shortly after putting it back on the road. By then I had probably driven about 15 miles and it did not pass. I took it out at lunch and drove another 20-25 miles and it was able to pass so 2000 miles should have been more than enough to have reset the sensors.

Good luck. Since we are also in NH, perhaps we will meet up sometime.

Mike

If it is the same test they are now performing in Canada everyone is failing myself included.

They now plug directly into the PCM to get the readings.

On their advise, I drove a full tank of gas through my CS6 on a long cruise because it hadn't been out of the garage since last year.

The test failed as yours with several sensors off line.

I ran another tank of gas through over a few days with lots of stopping and starting and I received a conditional pass to get a sticker for one year but still, several sensors off line (not ready).

From what I understand from our local test facility, about 85% of all modified vehicles tested are failing.

Well to update, I called Evolution performace to ask about why the tune turns these sensors off and to see if they could send me an updated one with them on and was told to put in the original airbox and flash it back to stock to pass inspection.

Good thing I didn't sell the airbox like I did the mufflers when I bought it

I live in Calif and just went through the dreaded first time emission check. I have TVS, small pulley, JLT and custom tune. I changed out the JLT to the stock air box and returned to the stock tune. Car went through with flying colors....and I was losing sleep that it would not pass and I might have to put the stock blower back on. Anyway easy to get it through.

I live in Calif and just went through the dreaded first time emission check. I have TVS, small pulley, JLT and custom tune. I changed out the JLT to the stock air box and returned to the stock tune. Car went through with flying colors....and I was losing sleep that it would not pass and I might have to put the stock blower back on. Anyway easy to get it through.

You're lucky you didn't get a Smog tech who knew what he was doing.

If I was the Smog Tech who tested your car, I would have seen the JLT tagged supercharger and would look in the EO# list to see that it isn't smog legal and I would have failed your car on the visual inspection.

And I sure wouldn't state publicly that my car passed with a illegal modification on my car.....(hint hint)

Phill (CA BAR Certified Smog Mechanic and Certified BAR Instructor)

Probably a good thing that not all smog inspectors own Shelby's. Note to self.... don't take car to Phil.

Or if you live in a smog state, to be a smog inspector so your car passes with flying colors! :)

I have a friend here in Oregon that did not pass the smog test with that evolution tune as well. Evolution did not get back to him after a couple weeks of trying. He had VMP send him a tune. Then he passed with flying colors. i have to go through smog inspection every other year here in Washington state. My VMP tune with pully and JLT intake passes every time. If you don't want to mess with it every other year give VMP a call.

Same here in CT. 3 years ago went to inspection told me the same thing (sensors were off with my Evolution Stage 2). The inspector was cool about it though and nice enough to pass me but said "next time put the stock tune in it before the test." Since then I got a new emissions-friendly tune from 5.0 racing legend Jim LaRocca.

BC is ending their air care program after 20 years in January 2014. The program was only done in the lower mainland (Vancouver area) and was never done on the Island. Reason for ending the program is there are very few cars and lite trucks on the road here that would not pass the inspection and it costs 19 million a year to run the program. They are going to concentrate on commercial diesel vehicles. So come January off with the cats.

Probably a good thing that not all smog inspectors own Shelby's. Note to self.... don't take car to Phil.

It's not even about owning a Shelby. The VMP sticker on the supercharger is what should have alerted the tech to look it up to see if there is a EO# for it (since there was no EO tag on the car). A Ford Racing logo or a Kenne Bell logo would get the same scrutiny. ANY logo would get the same scrutiny (it indicates it is not OEM).

Phill

You're lucky you didn't get a Smog tech who knew what he was doing.

If I was the Smog Tech who tested your car, I would have seen the JLT tagged supercharger and would look in the EO# list to see that it isn't smog legal and I would have failed your car on the visual inspection.

And I sure wouldn't state publicly that my car passed with a illegal modification on my car.....(hint hint)

Phill (CA BAR Certified Smog Mechanic and Certified BAR Instructor)

So what positive advice are you adding to the discussion?

Or if you live in a smog state, to be a smog inspector so your car passes with flying colors! :)

NOPE! Not me. I've never passed a car that (legally) failed a smog test, not even one of my own. EVER. I had a friend try to get me to pass his. NOPE! Ain't gonna happen. I taught the Smog course (Clean Air Car Course, aka. "CACC") and I'd be a big fat hypocrite if I preached the word and didn't uphold it myself. I hate hypocrites, liars and thieves more than anything in the world and I will NOT be one myself.

I found a legal loophole in the system though. California requires biennial inspections (once ever TWO years). They send you a registration renewal with a "Smog Cert Required" notice every other year. That's easy enough to circumvent...I would just file a non-op slip for the year the smog cert was required and take the car off of the street for the 7-8 months between when the current registration expired and when DMV sent me the renewal notice for the following year, which does NOT require a smog cert. Easy peasy.

There's more than one way to skin a cat....

Phill

Same here in CT. 3 years ago went to inspection told me the same thing (sensors were off with my Evolution Stage 2). The inspector was cool about it though and nice enough to pass me but said "next time put the stock tune in it before the test." Since then I got a new emissions-friendly tune from 5.0 racing legend Jim LaRocca.

In Calif. the BAR sends decoy/sting cars out to random shops and a Tech that does that stands a VERY good chance of getting caught, losing his/her license and WILL BE criminally prosecuted. If it wasn't a good friend (that s/he knew as NOT a BAR sting car), the Tech would be foolish to do that. A guy I worked with had his wife used as a decoy and BAR puts lipstick cams on/in the car.

And when they catch one of them, they make it big headline news to 'make a example' out of them. If you work in a Smog shop in CA, you WILL be visited by BAR and already have been. And not just once.

Phill

Since then I got a new emissions-friendly tune from 5.0 racing legend Jim LaRocca.

Secondo,

How does one go about getting LaRocca to tune his car?

I'm in Colorado now so I don't have to worry about emission testing and Jim LaRocca is one of the few tuners I know of that tunes a MAF based system the right way.

TIA,

Phill

It's not even about owning a Shelby. The VMP sticker on the supercharger is what should have alerted the tech to look it up to see if there is a EO# for it (since there was no EO tag on the car). A Ford Racing logo or a Kenne Bell logo would get the same scrutiny. ANY logo would get the same scrutiny (it indicates it is not OEM).

Phill

Give me some credit, I don't like stickers on anything so there was no VMP logo just a black blower that looks like the stock ford unit. VMP logo on the blower would be an immediate fail. I wonder how all the cars I see w CA plates and whipples get through inspection.

Give me some credit, I don't like stickers on anything so there was no VMP logo just a black blower that looks like the stock ford unit. VMP logo on the blower would be an immediate fail. I wonder how all the cars I see w CA plates and whipples get through inspection.

Smart move (remove the VMP logo/sticker). The Whipples make it through because they have a EO# and are on the EO list!

If you brought a GT500 in to me with a TVS, sans sticker, I'd never know the difference (and pass it on the visual inspection)!

ONE MORE way to "skin a cat"!

Phill

In Calif. the BAR sends decoy/sting cars out to random shops and a Tech that does that stands a VERY good chance of getting caught, losing his/her license and WILL BE criminally prosecuted. If it wasn't a good friend (that s/he knew as NOT a BAR sting car), the Tech would be foolish to do that. A guy I worked with had his wife used as a decoy and BAR puts lipstick cams on/in the car.

And when they catch one of them, they make it big headline news to 'make a example' out of them. If you work in a Smog shop in CA, you WILL be visited by BAR and already have been. And not just once.

Phill

The computer report passed it but he knew it wasn't stock and the sensors were shut off. He asked if the cats were hollowed out. He said next time it will fail because the State is changing the tests so the sensors have to be on to pass. He could have failed it.

Secondo,

How does one go about getting LaRocca to tune his car?

I'm in Colorado now so I don't have to worry about emission testing and Jim LaRocca is one of the few tuners I know of that tunes a MAF based system the right way.

TIA,

Phill

His Team Shelby name is "BlackShelby"

His Team Shelby name is "BlackShelby"

Okay, I've seen him on the SVT Perf. forums.

Thanks,

Phill

That's one of the reasons I left Las Vegas, because my '70 Mach 1 would never pass smog and was too "new" to be exempt. I left it registered in South Dakota and drove it while I was living there. I'm so glad to be living in a state where there are no smog inspections again. I can certainly understand the need for the smog regulations though in big cities because there were times when I looked into the valley from Henderson where I lived and the air looked horrible in the Vegas area. Reminded me of Los Angeles when it gets bad.

2010Kona, sorry I apparently hit a nerve with you. I was just poking some fun was all in previous comment.

2010Kona, sorry I apparently hit a nerve with you. I was just poking some fun was all in previous comment.

Huh? No, not that I know. I'm not even sure what you're talking about so obviously, no frazzled nerves on my part!

It's all good....

Phill

Archived