TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steeda Tri-Ax vs. MGW Shifter

All,

I recently joined the Shelby community by purchasing a 2011 Black Shelby GT500! I also own a Roush Mustang that I bought new in 2000 -- so Mustangs are in my blood. I look forward to interacting with everyone in the forum.

Background: Two weeks after buying the Shelby, I decided to run it at the track with a couple buddies from work. I have driven a manual transmission as a daily driver for 10 plus years -- but I wanted to get a couple runs on the track to perfect shifting the Shelby. Needless to say, I encountered the 1-2 shift issue every time I exceeded 5k RPM's -- no matter how far I engaged the clutch or the direction pulled back the shifter. I was beyond frustrated and even embarrassed to show up to the track with undoubtably the best looking car, packing 550 horsepower, and carrying the highest of expectations.

I understand that a shifter will not solve every bit of this issue, but it has to help with unnecessary notch in second and the slop present when in gear. A buddy that came out to the track with me that night has a Tri-Ax shifter in a 2006 Mustang GT. After a couple missed 1-2 shifts, he sat in my car and was the first to point out the terrible shifter. He quickly said, "Come sit in my '06 and engage the Tri-Ax." I can't imagine a better shifter then the one in his car. Absolutely perfect! It had: zero slop, hardly could call it a throw, and it was SO pure between gears.

This leads me to my question: Which shifter is better? Steed Tri-Ax vs. MGW

My issue: Reading this forum, all I hear about is the MGW so it seems like that is the direction everyone else follows. Did MGW hit the GT500 market before the Tri-Ax so it is what majority of people have and thus recommend. I never read about anyone with the Tri-Ax in their Shelby and wonder why? Maybe the Steeda Tri-Ax is not half the shifter it used to be, but I would like to understand why one is better than the other -- NOT just that the MGW can be adjusted to fit the driver. Although cool, I am more concerned about the purity of the shifter.

Sorry for the novel!

Ryan

I've owned both over the years, can't complain about either. MGW started off small... and shifters were all they did. They spend a lot of time perfecting what they know best. No fault of Steeda, but I own an MGW now.

Good read. I too am interested in what others think. I've read the threads between the MGW and Barton and had pretty much decided on the MGW at that point, but I like to keep my options open so I'm curious of the Steeda unit now. Looking forward to the comments. I'm only doing this mod once so I want to make sure I put in the best from the start.

We still make the same great shifter we have always been making ... and they have been very popular. They are the same shifters we sell on our serialized vehicles that are on dealer's lots right now.

The Tri Ax has been featured in Mustang Magazines and other publications. It is truly a great piece ...

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2010/04/tri-ax-shifter-extreme-engineering/

I'll let the others way in ... but on Vice President of operations owns a Shelby GT500 and we have used his car for a lot of R & D.

Best Regards,

TJ

We still make the same great shifter we have always been making ... and they have been very popular. They are the same shifters we sell on our serialized vehicles that are on dealer's lots right now.

The Tri Ax has been featured in Mustang Magazines and other publications. It is truly a great piece ...

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2010/04/tri-ax-shifter-extreme-engineering/

I'll let the others way in ... but on Vice President of operations owns a Shelby GT500 and we have used his car for a lot of R & D.

Best Regards,

TJ

TJ

Looking at the Steeda site I only see the GT500 shifter with a single arm. Is this correct?

Looked at the Steeda Tri-Ax but decided on the MGW. The Tri-ax was nice though. I don't think you can go wrong with either and I don't think one is superior over the other. Both are really smooth with no slop. I always felt the MGW was a little sturdier. To each their own.

I've owned both over the years, can't complain about either. MGW started off small... and shifters were all they did. They spend a lot of time perfecting what they know best. No fault of Steeda, but I own an MGW now.

Same for me. My 2000 Mustang GT was upgraded to a Tri-Ax and I had no complaints. My 2007 GT500 has an MGW and also no complaints. But of the two

I would pick the MGW again.

I had a Steeda in my 2011 GT, and decided to go with MGW in my Shelby and I certainly glad that I am. I am a huge Steeda fan and have lots of their parts on my car but the MGW is just a superior piece of machinery. In my opinion the MGW shifts better, and the adjustability is very nice.

I maybe wrong but I thought at the time when I bought my MGW the Tri-Ax was not available for think 11 and up. I will have to look again.

So maybe they have changed, looks like they now offer them. Maybe a stock picture of just the single arm shifters was used. Either one I think you can't go wrong and will have improvement.

I have driven an 07 gt500 with the single arm Pro 5 shifter in it. First thing I noticed was when you put your foot in it the shifter would move to the side. I was told it was because of the single arm design. I have used the Steeda shifter in an 02 mustang GT and it was great shifter far superior to the Shelby (Scott Drake) gen 1 and gen 2 shifter in my 07. I would go with the Steeda if it has 2 arms.

I got a MGW because when I was researching them it seemed everyone was raving about how nice it was. Its definitely nice but I don't think its a night and day difference. Maybe I was just expecting too much from all the reviews. A friend has a Steeda in his 07 GT500 and although I've only ever went through the gears while it was parked it seemed to be a nice piece as well. Maybe a little more notchy feel to it compared to my MGW. When the Barton came out I think I remember seeing pics of it and it was almost identical to MGW.

It was changed to adapt for the transmission changes but kept the same characteristics as the previous models.

Best Regards,

TJ

So does it have two arms???????????

Sorry ... I missed that question above.

The single arm is the only one we make. I believe it is stronger and lighter that way ...
If you use a quality arm it is more than adequate to do the job and 1 arm weighs less than 2.

Best Regards,

TJ

Archived