TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What's next on YOUR Shelby?

My '87 Dodge Shelby Charger:

The EFI tubing corrected/upgraded is finished, ($125 with parts & labor). (See efi tubing thread)

Next job: getting the aftermarket, round toothed cam gear replaced with the stock square tooth. Previous owner had the wrong one installed, resulting in squeaking while running. (Timing belt & lower gears are square).

I don't plan on racing, so, gonna go with the original.

After that, the AC upgrade!

Who's next with THEIR list O upgrades?

Caliper AND brake line to the caliper replaced, (plus new pads). Mech had to turn the rotor slightly, and all seems well. Rides MUCH better w/o dragging that caliper!

Having the adjustable cam gear swapped for stock on Wednesday...after that, the AC upgrade!

• 4 weeks later...

Swap done, noise at idle which (according to 4 or 5 other 2.2 owners) is due to the timing belt being too tight. Scheduled to get it readjusted.

THEN the AC will be next!

THEN, pick up original louvers from a guy in Deleware. Plan is to have them repainted to match the striping/etc. on my car, NOT just all black as they originally were made.

THEN tinting the giant sunroof...too freakin hot when the sun is beating down on your head, though, I figure the AC being repaired will help with that!

I finally got around to installing my Great Lakes Hotrod's heim joint shift linkage conversion today. It didn't go quite as smooth as I would have liked, and took most of the day. But by 9:00 pm I was going for a test drive, and then washing the car in preparation for a car show tomorrow.

I'm so excited to have reverse again!!!

I finally got around to installing my Great Lakes Hotrod's heim joint shift linkage conversion today. It didn't go quite as smooth as I would have liked, and took most of the day. But by 9:00 pm I was going for a test drive, and then washing the car in preparation for a car show tomorrow.

I'm so excited to have reverse again!!!

LOL! Almost getting 'beaten' at a green light by a Ford Explorer (I couldn't 'find' 2nd gear), just before i had the conversion done, made me appreciate the upgrade even more!

So, today I installed a glove box light and front floor lights in my 87 GLHS. I bought the GLHS new 26 years ago. (only has 90,000 miles on it)

I used 2 floor lights out of 2 different Dodge Dakotas, and the glove box light came from a 93 Daytona.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm still at the fixing stage on my '87 GLHS. Haven't made it to the upgrades yet, but here's my list:

1. Find reason for high idle problem.

2. Fix brake light ground / short problem

3. Fix hole in floor

4. New rear hatch struts

5. Fix headliner.

6, Buy & install heim joint shift linkage kit.

7. Fix 3 small rust spots (driver's door & rear fender wells.)

8. GLHS Decals

9. Car show

Well, I'm still at the fixing stage on my '87 GLHS. Haven't made it to the upgrades yet, but here's my list:

1. Find reason for high idle problem.

2. Fix brake light ground / short problem

3. Fix hole in floor

4. New rear hatch struts

5. Fix headliner.

6, Buy & install heim joint shift linkage kit.

7. Fix 3 small rust spots (driver's door & rear fender wells.)

8. GLHS Decals

9. Car show

Hey & welcome! Where are you located? I'm in North/Central NJ.

• 6 months later...

I think I posted this on one of the other threads, (sorry), but here's a link to the FB photo of the new (to me), louvers, AND decals in place of the badges on the hatch. I think it came out nice!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202667921952924&set=a.4134999887028.2160573.1044503960&type=1&theater

• 3 weeks later...

Anytime I see a puddle under one of my cars, (weather my one Hobby car, or our DD's), I get nervous/think the worst is in store!

Such was the situation. Turns out I DON'T need the motor rebuilt/etc.:

The power steering line had a filter installed, (NOT on the vehicles, originally, put in by one of the previous 3 owners), which was leaking PS fluid. Had that replaced, all better!

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Took The Black Racer to Brian Sloew, (He of the 8 second Shadow), in Philly, and, it's like night and day! I can't believe how well it's running, and now i know what it's SUPPOSED to sound like when running correctly! All the chirps/ticks/squeaks are gone! The timing belt (installed last year by local mech), was not adjusted correctly, the 'new' alternator belt was NOT the right size, and could not be adjusted tight enough, so he re-replaced that.

Bolts missing from the exhaust pipe/manifold connection, turbo boost dialed back, to eliminate the pinging. Sitting in it, while it idles is a joy, (with the exception of some kind of squeak INSIDE the rear of the passenger compartment, can't be heard outside), putting the gas pedal to the floor results in solid power with NO pinging (due to which, up until this point, I'd 'let up' on the gas to stop the detonation).

It is SWEET! He wants me to, (when I can) get the upgraded computer, however, Ralph G., (owner of an '85 DSC since '87), doesn't think there's a computer that works with the Spearco intercooler, (from that time), currently installed in the car. decisions, decisions!

AC is next!

Had it in the Town Memorial Day parade, too!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202961896502104&set=p.10202961896502104&type=1&theater

Wow, sounds good Wayne. I wish I was close enough to Slowe's shop to get him to go over my cars.

'SOUNDS GOOD' is RIGHT! LOL!

A Conselier (SP???) owner from Maryland sent the car to him, and, when finished, road the train up and drove it home! I would have LOVED to see THAT on the highway!

FINALLY took mine to the AC guy, he charged it with the old freon, and added dye to find where it's leaking. Of course, it's 60° today, but ran the AC anyway, as directed!

• 1 month later...

Hey & welcome! Where are you located? I'm in North/Central NJ.

Sorry I've been away for awhile Wayne. I'm in North East PA in Bradford County.

I fixed the brake light problem, I've got a new alternator being delivered any day now, and I've got the headliner out. Still looking for the gray fabric to put back in. I have not, however, figured out my high idle problem. It's starting to irritate me!

• 4 months later...

Been MIA, for awhile...

Wrestling with the 3K idle problem on the Black Racer:

So far, (with help from local mechanic, a gearhead neighbor, and a couple of Shelby Dodge fanatics... I only hold the drop light & turned the key at appropriate times): after swapping out the AIS, the SDS, replacing the hose between the throttle body and the turbo, STILL idling, at start up, AT 3k. (Good thing: we discovered one of the heater hoses was rubbing against the intercooler, ready to burst when I get an hour away from home base).

TEMPORARILY disconnected the AIC, (checked the new one AND the old one...both work OUT of the car), and adjusted the idle up to keep from stalling, so I could get the fuel treated and fill it up for the winter. (And drive around a little). Gonna swap the TPS next, another SD fan is loaning/selling me (if it IS the problem) a new computer/logic module(?).

Cecil County Dragway, turbo-mopar invasion this saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/events/319663238204813/

• 8 months later...

(Just posted for my friends on the NTT thread):

Tracking down the front motor mount on my car...a couple leads...seems like once one thing gets fixed, (had a hi idle problem that Brian, the Turbo-Dodge expert in Philly straightened out for me), another one appears! The 'fun' of a Hobby Car, I guess!

(Prepare to sleep, or "How My High Idle Was Finally Repaired"):

Three friends/local experts, had assisted me, (I held the drop light), last fall on trying to diagnosis/fix the hi idle, (Ralph G, prez of DVSDAC, owner of an '85 DSC since '87, Rob, a three time owner of Shelby Daytonas...now has a tribute Road Runner...but looking for a red Daytona, BTW, and my next door neighbor Bob, a general gear head, muscle car racer back in the 60's, currently owns a nice Ranchero, and has ALL the tools):

As most of you know, there are three common parts that go bad due to age/etc., that cause this problem, (AFTER making sure there are no vacuum leaks) in the turbo Dodges of that era.

1) We replaced common problem #1, (AIC) DIDN'T fix it, decided to leave the new part in...Hey it's a new part, what could POSSIBLY go wrong? (Cue ominous music)

2) after replacing 'usual suspects # 2 (TBS) & #3 (SDS), STILL the hi idle persisted...it went in for its winter slumber, at that point...

3) Spring came on, took it to the guru (Mr. 8 second 1/4 mile Dodge Shadow, Brian Slowe), who 'smoke tested' it, to find possible vacuum leaks...SURPRISE...the NEW part (AIC) had a leak... Says we probably fixed it with one of the other two parts, but the bad new one we left IN, masked the fact..... :drop:

GOOD thing from us taking it apart, (again...I managed the droplight), discovered a heater hose rubbing on the intercooler, it was paper thin at that spot, ready to burst at the (no doubt), most inopportune time!

Brian also discovered the replaced steering rack was loose, repaired/adjusted/etc. the rear brakes, replaced one front rotor, now it stops a lot better...it's good to be able to stop! (It was stopping, before, but a lot of vibration from the front brakes).

I THOUGHT (there I go 'thinking' again...you'd think I'd learn), I was getting some 'torque steer in the front, (which I'm NOT supposed to have with the Shelby Limited Slip Differential), but turns out was due to that steering rack being loose.

It's been running AWESOME...til the motor mount busted! :^P

Archived