TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MGW Shifter on Order

ShelbyLee

Placed my order today. Called MGW directly and spoke to George for the technical opinion on why this helps eliminate the 1st to 2nd grind. After a lengthy explanation but not being the transmission savy type, I pushed the "I Believe Button" and got connected to sales. Got a 5% discount for military and it will be here next week. I am getting the Shelby Store GT500 shifter next week while in Vegas (hope they have in stock). I know what I'll be doing soon.

Personally, I feel this is one of the best investments in my car. I've had them before and the quality is superb. The S197 install is NOT easy.... take your time. Mine is set a 4 turns, feels about right. 1 -> 2 is easy, 2 -> 3 is AWESOME!

Personally, I feel this is one of the best investments in my car. I've had them before and the quality is superb. The S197 install is NOT easy.... take your time. Mine is set a 4 turns, feels about right. 1 -> 2 is easy, 2 -> 3 is AWESOME!

Ditto. MGW @ 4 turns is awesome.

Great shifter, I am at 5 turns out and love it, now all shifts are "snick, snick, snick" with a well machined, mechanical feel to it. The 1-2 grind is gone and that comes from a combination of the shifter and me learning to time my left foot and right arm actions.

If you are installing this yourself, be prepared to spend a bulk of your time getting the stock pieces out. Putting it back together took almost no time or effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Need advice. In the process of installing (or in this case removing the factory shifter) and found the reverse solenoid bolt not very tight when going to remove it. It seems when the Ford dealership or the factory installed, they may have stripped it slightly (if that's possible). I took the bolt fully out and it has some aluminum threads on it. I cleaned it up and reinstalled. It feels like its going to fully strip as it doesn't want to tighten now like it should. Afraid to tighten any further. What should I do? Use lock tight? If so, what color? Going to bed so hopefully there's night owls or early risers out there with the answer.

Thanks,

ShelbyLee

I've applied blue loctite and got it to tighten up the best I could. Best solution will probably be to re-tap it with a slightly larger bolt. For now, I'll just keep a close eye on it.

My other option will be to take it back to Ford dealer and tell them to fix it if it does start leaking. That's probably the best.

By the way, my test drive today with the MGW shifter revealed the best shifting to date. Not a grind to be had but then again, I pushed hard but not as hard as I could.

Archived