TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch Pedal went to the floor and stayed there

NordicShelby

I went to Brainerd on Monday and coming into turn three I pushed my Clutch in to shift back into 3rd and the Clutch pedal went all the way to the floor and stayed there for about 10 seconds then I slowed down and the Clutch pedal came back. Just curious of this has happened to anybody else and what exactly caused it? I have never had this happen to me before.

I had the MGW shifter and the Shelby Revan radiator installed a week ago. The shifter was a major improvement over the stock one. The car ran hot but it was 86 degrees with a ton of humidity. The cylinder head temp got as high as 252 I was not expecting the Boss to run that hot but it was a very hot humid day. The cylinder head temp would stay around 240 for most of the runs. Just curious what temp most of you are seeing on hotter days with the stock radiator in?

I brought the Boss up to Brainerd in early May the temps outside were in the low 60's so it was a very cool day but with the stock radiator the cylinder head temp would only get up to 220 on the track.

It's good you came out of this alright and I'm also looking forward to what the pros think it could be. I've heard of people boiling their brake fluids on track days but that may not have anything to do with your issue.

Did you remove the clutch assist spring yet?

NO I haven't. I read something about the clutch spring in the Boss302forum but I can't remember what I read though.....lol

Is this something that should be removed?

No input on the question, but good to see you made it out!

Two cars that day didn't make it out. One of the dudes that crashed went to the Hospital in the Ambulance.

If you haven't bought tickets to the Shelby dearborn event in Michigan you should attend it. It would be nice to see your Supersnake there.

It's good you came out of this alright and I'm also looking forward to what the pros think it could be. I've heard of people boiling their brake fluids on track days but that may not have anything to do with your issue.

That would have been my first guess as well but it was definately the clutch pedal. I have Brembo 600 high temp fluid with Performance friction race pads and brake cooling ducts, the brakes are rock solid.

That would have been my first guess as well but it was definately the clutch pedal. I have Brembo 600 high temp fluid with Performance friction race pads and brake cooling ducts, the brakes are rock solid.

You obviously have experience with track time and the prep work needed to be successful. I wish I had a neighbor as you to learn from. Please post your findings of what caused the pedal to go flat. I can't imagine the initial panic you must have had especially when you were on the track.

I have been doing a little research on the Boss302forum and found this thread where they are talking about the clutch line. http://www.boss302.com/topic/15559-clutch-fluid-line/page-2

I think this is a more known problem when you track the car a lot.

Looks like I might need to replace the clutch spring and the clutch fluid line to a stainless steel one.

Can you use DOT 4 High temp brake fluid in the clutch or do you want to use DOT 3 brake fluid?

You obviously have experience with track time and the prep work needed to be successful. I wish I had a neighbor as you to learn from. Please post your findings of what caused the pedal to go flat. I can't imagine the initial panic you must have had especially when you were on the track.

I got the track bug back in 2009 when Gary Patterson was one of the instructors at Hallet during the Tulsa Midamerica teamshelby event. He rode with me for many sessions on that day and taught me the basics. I was so impressed at how fast he could make a mustang go it got me hooked from day one.

If you lived here in Minnesota I would love to help you with learning the basics.

Experience and lots of mods is what makes you go fast. SUSPENSION, TIRES, BRAKES and COOLING are the biggest mods for the track.

Archived