TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mach 1 Mustang Returns for 2017, Shelby GT350 for 2016

Amigo GT500

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, the only true new real Shelby is the 08 KR, because I own one :)

Seriously, have always posted this and its worth posting again. I asked John Luft about this very subject. John's reply was, "Let me put it this way, I would not want to be the person who tells Carroll they (current 500's) are not real Shelby's"

Now, since it's his name, would think no one here would argue with Carroll on the subject.

Concerning older Shelby's not being welcome, I have personally invited the older cars to the Great Lakes events. I believe it is important that we understand the history that was Carroll, and yes, I have invited Shelby Dodge owners as well

You may have to clean the drool off the car after the event though

Interesting what's in a "name". One of my best buds from grad school was the head of Ford's SVT for several years early on (he called it the "skunk works" at the time), he was never shy about using the SVT name as a sign of quality and innovation, right up there with "Shelby" in his mind. I had a 2001 SVT Cobra, loved the car, IRS, OHC V8, etc., very fast and peppy. I never thought about the name of it, except for the way my bud thought of it. Not sure it would have been any different if it had been called a "Shelby". Just a great car no matter what it was called.

If you tell me your besties with Jamie Allison, im gonna really feel like an ass....lol

Im a SVT guy all the way! I only drive three different vehicles- a raptor is my daily, the gt500 is my cruiser, and the SHO is the family sedan. When Ford wises up and includes HIDs on the Explorer Sport, Ill have the SUV to round it out, but SVT is an important part of my life.

Looks like you will get your wish as Ford is apparently going to use the SVT name now rather than Shelby.

And here is a link to the new 2015 Mustang ncluding and audio of the exhaust. and a 10 speed tranny?

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-mustang-2015.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Mustang1&utm_campaign=outbrain-lln-mustang

Been away from the forums for a few days while on vacation(still am) and I'm really happy how everyone has come back together on this thread! I love ALL Shelbys... old school, new school, Ford, Dodge or GM (gotta say it with those parts in the Series 1). I just feel blessed that I was able to put ONE in my stable. Going to hope to be adding

more some day.

I think a lot of the so-called spy photos are actually leaked to the press or a photographer. They are probably told to expect a surprise that will be driving North (or whatever) on which ever street and the photographer gets his photos. And of course they appear in the auto media and Ford, and all the others, keep the interest alive until their new baby is ready to be officially announced.

But it sounds like we should expect an Evos looking machine. But a 10 speed tranny? Now that brings a new meaning to the term close ratio tranny.

But it certainly sounds good.

Been away from the forums for a few days while on vacation(still am) and I'm really happy how everyone has come back together on this thread! I love ALL Shelbys... old school, new school, Ford, Dodge or GM (gotta say it with those parts in the Series 1). I just feel blessed that I was able to put ONE in my stable. Going to hope to be adding

more some day.

I'm so with you on this sentiment. I feel blessed to have one of these wonderful machines, and a bit a history to boot. I drive mine everyday, and will continue to do so until it or me falls.

OK, so if I accept your premise (and I don't fully, but that is just my opinion, just as your premise is your opinion), then the question here originally (before wandering off topic) is, what involvement did/will CS have in the 2016 GT350? I say about as much as he did in the '84 Ford Mustang GT350. Is that then also a "Shelby" and will then the 2016 be a "Shelby" too? In other words, can Ford really call the 2016 GT350 a "Shelby" and be credible?

Okay, so if I go along with your premise and opinion on Shelbys, then I guess you can accept that your Corvettes and Mopars are not really a Chevy or Chrysler product that you own. Since neither Louis Chevrolet or Walter P. Chrysler had nothing to do with any of the cars built after their deaths with their names on them. In addition, because that they weren't built under their watchful eye at a special off-line Assembly Plant they aren't "REAL" Chevy Corvettes or Mopars..

Well, what do you have to say about this? Do you agree?

Okay, so if I go along with your premise and opinion on Shelbys, then I guess you can accept that your Corvettes and Mopars are not really a Chevy or Chrysler product that you own. Since neither Louis Chevrolet or Walter P. Chrysler had nothing to do with any of the cars built after their deaths with their names on them. In addition, because that they weren't built under their watchful eye at a special off-line Assembly Plant they aren't "REAL" Chevy Corvettes or Mopars..

Well, what do you have to say about this? Do you agree?

:stirpot: That's all you're doing at this point bud!!..........DON'T feed the trolls guys.

If someone likes it and owns it, it is obviously special to them. The way I see it, a Shelby is a Shelby. Do I look down on Shelby GT's or GT-H's because my Shelby is more powerful then theirs? Hell no. I wish I could get a GT or GT-H someday. Just cause my GT500 was built by Ford doesn't make it any less special or Shelby than the GT's, GT-H's, GT350's, or Super Snakes. Everyone has their preference of what Shelby that like. Just because you may not like a different Shelby then yours, doesn't make it any less special to people. Why is it that certain Shelby owners seem like they need to make themselves feel better by downing others? I would never tell another Shelby owner, "Sorry but your car is not a REAL Shelby since it wasn't built at Shelby American." That's like telling someone, well since you can't afford to have your GT500 converted to a Super Snake, your GT500 is not a REAL Shelby. Total slap in the face. That's just my 2 cents.

One of the most fearsome and collectible Shelby Mustangs of all time, the 1968 GT500KR was not built by Shelby, rather by Ford in Michigan. Same for the 1968 GT350 and GT500 too.

Actually, to be precise, the '68 KR, like all '68s, was built starting as a GT Mustang in New Jersey (New Jersey!!!!!????) and then shipped to Ionia, Michigan to be converted to a "Shelby" by a company called AO Smith, known for crappy Corvette bodies in the early-mid '60s (GM finally transferred all fiberglass manufacture to the GM Corvette plant in St. Louis) and water heaters, among other industrial items. You can watch it here:

And, as I have said before some of my SAAC friends * think my KR is not as much a "Shelby" as the ones built in LA from '65-'67, and prices in the market also reflect that preference, though the '68 on was really mass produced compared to the early ones, and you couldn't order what you wanted, Ford just turned them out and shipped to dealers on a take it or leave it basis. So, is my '68 KR a "real" Shelby? Opinions vary. But it looks like one to me.... :wub2:

*PS, I probably should add that my SAAC friends are still friends, and these kind of discussions about Shelby distinctions are quite common and have been going on for years without anger, hurt feelings, emotions, etc. That is why I am so taken aback by some of the banter here I guess.

post-39072-0-35676400-1372984643_thumb.jpg

post-39072-0-35676400-1372984643_thumb.jpg

05; no one is trying to down your Shelby or anyone else's "Shelby. People can express an opinion without intending to put someone down or hurt their feelings. I have a SGT but wish I had a GT 500 or a GT 500 convertible but I can't afford it. When someone talks about their GT 500 I don't feel like it is a put down on SGTs. That person is just expressing an opinion. And apparently the 68+ Shelbys do not bring the money that the 65-66 Shelby's do. That is just the market and preference on the part of buyers. But again, for someone to express an opinion, especially about the market, is not to say that mine is better than y ours or to put yours down in any way. My SGT is special to me, and would be a lot more special to me if SC but it is not. And probably never will be. Right now I hope to be able to afford my SGT even though it is paid off. I may still lose it. Good luck to those that have any Shelby.

Archived