TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Mach 1 Mustang Returns for 2017, Shelby GT350 for 2016

Amigo GT500

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/mach-1-mustang-returns-2017-shelby-gt350-2016-135914019.html

There’s a lot to consider when thinking about the upcoming 2015 Ford Mustang. It’s going to have a four-cylinder under the hood, it’s going to have a brand new set of lines, there won’t be a Shelby GT500, and now the Mach 1 nameplate is set to make a comeback, along with a factory-built Shelby GT350. That’s a whole lotta Mustang to take in.

The boys at Mustangs Daily tell us that both the GT350 and Mach 1 will be sitting pretty in the lineup come the 2016 and 2017 model years. This marks the first time the GT350 moniker will be built from a Ford factory since the late 60s, and the Mach 1 returning for the first time in over a decade (2003-2004).

Details on both of these projects are pretty much non-existent at this point (at least not for the general public), but we don’t doubt that both cars should put out some sexy power figures. And look their respective parts as well.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than they once again forgot about 1984.

Correct, remember this monstrosity that cost Ford big bucks to settle the lawsuit. Maybe the new one will be similar without the lawsuit? I do wonder if the new Ford SVT GT350 will be anywhere close to the current Shelby GT350, I doubt it will..... :hysterical2:

post-39072-0-22298500-1372193785_thumb.jpg

At this point I just want to see what the base car is going to look like. Because if it's ugly it doesn't matter what special models they come out with I won't plan on getting one. As it stands a '13 boss 302 is likely my next car.

At this point I just want to see what the base car is going to look like. Because if it's ugly it doesn't matter what special models they come out with I won't plan on getting one. As it stands a '13 boss 302 is likely my next car.

+1 on that point!

This is the article from Mustangs Daily (http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2013/06/19/ford-to-launch-shelby-gt350-model-in-2016-mach-1-returning-as-well/):

Ford to launch Shelby GT350 model in 2016, Mach 1 returning as well

shelby-gt350-graphics-585x388.jpg

Last week we reported that Ford might be dropping the Shelby GT500 in favor of the SVT Cobra for the next generation Mustang, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the Shelby name will be disappearing from the Ford lineup. According to our sources inside Ford, the company will introduce a Shelby GT350 model for 2016, a year after the next generation Mustang is launched for 2015. The big news is that the car will be an official Ford factory model, similar to the current Shelby GT500, and unlike the current GT350 model that is only a post-title package available directly from Shelby. Details about the 2016 Shelby GT350 are understandably scarce at the moment, but we hear it will be more of a stripped-down performance car just like in 1965, and expect it to be more affordable than the current model, which starts at just over $58,000.

mach-1-graphics-585x388.jpg

Another legendary moniker will be returning to the Mustang lineup in the near future as well, with our sources indicating that the Mach 1 is slated to be introduced as early as 2017. The Mach 1 name was last used a decade ago with a limited production run from 2003-2004, with the car featuring an aluminum block 32-valve 4.6-liter V8 producing 305 horsepower as well as a host of other performance upgrades compared to the base Mustang GT including front 13-inch Brembo brakes, Tokico shocks and stiffer springs. The look of the car was decidedly retro, with a function shaker hood scoop, unique 17-inch 5-spoke wheels and 1960s-style “comfortweave” leather seats.

Details about the new Mach 1 are few and far between at this point, but we look forward to the model making an appearance in the Mustang lineup once again and will share any news about the car as soon as we hear any updates.

Aren't there like 10 topics on this already

Where's the press release and ford web site announcement instead of idle speculation?

I think that every time there is an article posted on the 2015 Mustang, rehashing the same old rumors and hearsay, you can expect at least 2 new threads on here. Painful....

I think that every time there is an article posted on the 2015 Mustang, rehashing the same old rumors and hearsay, you can expect at least 2 new threads on here. Painful....

The difference between readers who come here frequently and writers that come and don't look o see if obvious material has already been covered

I'm member number 10 on FordGT350.com. Ironically, it's the same number as my GT500KR! :happy feet:

Thanks to Freak for being a Shelby geek and building the site.

With that being said though, at the end of the day it's a Shelby GT350. But with all of the speculation, I get the site.

OK, so you must have the "new" GT500KR. And, you sure it will be a Shelby GT350 even though Shelby (SAI) will have no part in building it? I think it will be an SVT GT350, like the current SVT GT500, they should not be confused with "Shelbys". :hide:

OK, so what did Ford market this as? It will be the same as the "new" one coming in my mind, sans lawsuit....

I don't know. Did they call it a Shelby GT350 or just GT350?

I'm not offering an opinion on whether the new GT350 will be any good or not. Just wondering why a Shelby GT500 from Ford is okay but a Shelby GT350 from Ford is apparently not.

I do agree there is difference between a Shelby off the Ford assembly line and a car that passes through SAI, but they're both still Shelbys.

I don't know. Did they call it a Shelby GT350 or just GT350?

I'm not offering an opinion on whether the new GT350 will be any good or not. Just wondering why a Shelby GT500 from Ford is okay but a Shelby GT350 from Ford is apparently not.

I do agree there is difference between a Shelby off the Ford assembly line and a car that passes through SAI, but they're both still Shelbys.

IIRC, they marketed it as the Ford Mustang GT350, 20th Anniversary edition. They knew they would be sued if they called it a "Shelby" since CS was long gone and not happy at all with Ford and their execs at the time, and vice versa. The distinction between different "Shelbys" will rage for ever. But most do recognize degrees of difference (sheep and goats) between ones CS actually had a hand, or even direct influence and control over, vs. ones where he was just licensing a name. But those of us who believe there is a significant distinction between the two (since we own one most likely) will never admit the others are as "good". The market will decide at the end of the day, and we should all be happy to follow that as to what distinctions exist. :)

I am curious how the market will treat the SGT in the future. There are far fewer SGT's than GT 500's but the GT 500 obviously has the HP and that is important also. obviously a SGT/SC will bring more. But will there be a real demand for the SGT. And there were fewer white than black SGT;s.

No one argues these days whether a late '67-70 Shelby Mustang is a "real" Shelby or not, not even Rick Kopec who was one of the founders of SAAC. Because they weren't assembled or converted at SA is not in the equation at all. The new Ford Shelby '06-'14 cars were designed to be Shelbys by SVT and Carroll Shelby himself. Your arguments are foolish.

No one argues these days whether a late '67-70 Shelby Mustang is a "real" Shelby or not, not even Rick Kopec who was one of the founders of SAAC. Because they weren't assembled or converted at SA is not in the equation at all. The new Ford Shelby '06-'14 cars were designed to be Shelbys by SVT and Carroll Shelby himself. Your arguments are foolish.

OK, so if I accept your premise (and I don't fully, but that is just my opinion, just as your premise is your opinion), then the question here originally (before wandering off topic) is, what involvement did/will CS have in the 2016 GT350? I say about as much as he did in the '84 Ford Mustang GT350. Is that then also a "Shelby" and will then the 2016 be a "Shelby" too? In other words, can Ford really call the 2016 GT350 a "Shelby" and be credible?

The 1984 Mustang GT 20th Anniversary GT350 edition is irrelevant to our discussion and you know it. It wasn't sold as a Shelby but an "Anniversary"

Special edition.

Presently, unfortunately Carroll is no longer with us, but fortunately for us, he left his company with great leadership and employees, continued strong involvement with Ford and a plan for the future. I have faith in his vision, products and company that whatever Ford or Shelby American vehicles with the Shelby name on it produced since his passing will always be a Shelby. I hope all of us can have faith in it as well.

In my opinion, the '84 GT350 is relevant because it was a case of Ford putting that name on a car with zero CS involvement, just as I think the 2016 GT350 will be, unless you know of plans, drawing, conversations, etc. that CS had with Ford about it before his unfortunate passing. But I can totally agree with your opinions here:

"Presently, unfortunately Carroll is no longer with us, but fortunately for us, he left his company with great leadership and employees, continued strong involvement with Ford and a plan for the future. I have faith in his vision, products and company that whatever Ford or Shelby American vehicles with the Shelby name on it produced since his passing will always be a Shelby. I hope all of us can have faith in it as well."

But I will add as a caveat, that I will not buy anything in the future with a "Shelby" name on it unless it is made at SAI.

No one ever said that the '84 20th anniversary edition Mustang GT was a Shelby. Don't worry, and no one will confuse it for one either or try to compare it to your GT350.

Your loss then. It does seem that you only want to instill in people here that your 2012 GT350 is "more" of a Shelby than others. The new "Ford" GT350 possibly will outperform yours and be worth just the same or more in the future.

the performance aspect is irrelevant to the pedigree of the Shelby. Nothing could be more of a Shelby, in the current market, than the 2007-08 SGT and of course the GT 350, SS, KR, etc as they were actually transformed at Shelby. And the SGT is definitely underpowered but still more of a Shelby than a Mustang SVT GT 500 hat has never seen Vegas or SAI.

And I am curious about the comment "Because they weren't assembled or converted at SA is not in the equation at all. The new Ford Shelby '06-'14 cars were designed to be Shelbys by SVT and Carroll Shelby himself. Your arguments are foolish."

I honestly believe if they were not asembled at SAI they are less of a Shelby than a car that just had Shelby lettering placed on the trunk at the Michigan assembly line. And how is a car designed by SVT to be a Shelby? What will the new SVTs be designed to be since they will not be Shelbys. The GT 500 is just an SVT that used the name Shelby for marketing purpose. and Ole Shel went along with it because he received royaties. and how did the 89 year old Shelby design the GT 500? Answer - he didn't. He made have said I would like to have a cobra emblem and stripes, and I want it to go like hell, and I want it to have a lot of HP and torque. But he didn't design it like he did the original Shelbys of the 60's. Ford put his name on the SVT for marketing purposes. Now the SGT is a true Shelby because it was converted to be a Shelby, by Shelby Inc at Shelby Inc in Vegas. That is a real Shelby. Even though it is grossly underpowered unless SC.

Here we go again....

Do you really think CS personally built your SGT? I think CS had as much input as he did with the current GT500. Went for a test drive and gave his approval is what I think he did. If they are not Shelbys, why can you register them with SAI. Why do people think that it has to be built @ SAI to be a true Shelby? Oh ya maybe since they want to think they are better? get over yourself! Any car that has the Shelby name on it in should be considered a Shelby any make or model. How hard is that?

No one ever said that the '84 20th anniversary edition Mustang GT was a Shelby. Don't worry, and no one will confuse it for one either or try to compare it to your GT350.

Your loss then. It does seem that you only want to instill in people here that your 2012 GT350 is "more" of a Shelby than others. The new "Ford" GT350 possibly will outperform yours and be worth just the same or more in the future.

My new one (not to be confused with my old ones) is a 2013, with 624 HP, and I would hazard a guess it cost at least twice what the 2016 GT350 will, somehow I doubt the market will depreciate my 2013 (with less than 70 built and not another like mine) to less than half by then, even if Ford puts the 5.8 and a big supercharger in the 2016. Ford will do with the 2016 GT350 as they have with the SVT GT500, they will build thousands and they will depreciate like a rock as soon as they come out, just look at the old GT500s from SVT, great bargains today, the SAI Shelby GT350s, not so much, check the market..... :happy feet:

Archived