TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Will the "Shelby" Name be Ditched by Ford??

ilmor

Yeah, that thought is just crazy! I think sometimes articles like this are written just because they run out of material.

Actually, it could happen with the return of the SVT Cobra Mustang and Mach I and the addition of the Ford GT350 in 2016.. Ford went for many years without the Shelby nameplate. I expect the challenge is more what will happen to the post-title program at SAI. It seems like the evolution of power adders has gone from centrifugal super chargers(Paxton, Vortec, Procharger, etc.), then Roots type (Whipple, Kenny Bell, etc.) and now turbo. It will be interesting to see what is the next generation from Foard and SAI. While there will still be a good connection between Ford and SAI, I do not know what the status of the SAI-Ford contract agreement is and it may be over soon.

Not a chance.... now, it may take a vacation but rest assured the Shelby name will adorn many a Mustang to come.

Thinking further about this...it was reported a couple of years ago on this site that Shelby Autos had a contract with Ford Motor through 2014. Is that still a fact and/or has any contract been renewed or extended? I don't know how this contract would affect things.

You guys should not overlook the fact that the contract is between Carroll Shelby and Ford, not SA and Ford. SA doesn't own the nameplates to the 500 or the 350, so while I agree that Ford will carry forward with a Shelby relationship, there is no reason to assume that means Ford needs a relationship with SA to do that.

Good point. I believe the contracts were between Ford and Carroll Shelby Licensing, not CS nor SA. It is all about what is on paper and the corporate counsels and you have a lot of history right there!

From what I have read Ford will drop the shelby name and use Cobra, or possibly Mach 1. When asked about a Shelby GT 500 Ford replied that there will still be a Shelby GT 500, ............from Shelby. I know this is not always popular.......but Ford is tired of losing their bragging rights to Shelby when the vehicle is a SVT from Ford. Chevy takes credit for every high performance Camaro with Z-28 or whatever model. The vehicle has been an SVT for the last 7 years.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1084723_ford-to-drop-shelby-name-for-range-topping-2015-mustang-may-add-cobra-report

From what I have read Ford will drop the shelby name and use Cobra, or possibly Mach 1. When asked about a Shelby GT 500 Ford replied that there will still be a Shelby GT 500, ............from Shelby. I know this is not always popular.......but Ford is tired of losing their bragging rights to Shelby when the vehicle is a SVT from Ford. Chevy takes credit for every high performance Camaro with Z-28 or whatever model. The vehicle has been an SVT for the last 7 years.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1084723_ford-to-drop-shelby-name-for-range-topping-2015-mustang-may-add-cobra-report

Good point there, most everyone knows the Ford SVT GT500 is NOT a Shelby, just like the '84 GT350 was not a Shelby or a GT 350...... :hysterical:

Good point there, most everyone knows the Ford SVT GT500 is NOT a Shelby, just like the '84 GT350 was not a Shelby or a GT 350...... :hysterical:

:drop::finger::stirpot: :devil: :fan::soapbox::poke::hide:

(that about say's it all)

Looking at this from a different perspective, the fewer Shelby labeled cars there are on the road, the rarer ours are.

Secondo is right. No one here knows what Ford is going to do. Ford changes directions and has the prerogative to do what they want. There have been many instances when they planned a certain build or to cut a build, and then it changed right before it was to happen. So even if Ford is developing a vehicle with this or without that, it is no sure thing until it happens.

BTW- I think someone said the agreement would be between Shelby Licensing and Ford, not CS. True, but I was merely pointing out the agreement has nothing to do with SA, so there is nothing that will change for them either way.

Funny you mention the '84 GT350. My brother got one yesterday.

Honestly now that he has passed I do not see why they would pay the Royalties to have the name on a Production car. I am very excited to hear the Mach 1 might return.

I think Shelby currently has the right focus, post title modifications and parts. If Ford dropped the Shelby name in production models this would add a lot more exclusivity to the Name, something I feel it needs. If Roush can do it they certainly can.

Just my 2 Cents

Archived