TEAM SHELBY FORUM

time for cooling upgrades!

ARMORINE

well my sgt is running like a champ....sorta. shes consistently running several mpg below normal.other then thats things are normal. so heres time for a little back story. i ran at hallet during the shelby meet for the first time in 2 years. pulled a 1:37(not bad for the first time back) any ways, i overheated my car waaaaay bad. was chasing a laguna seca coming out of the bitch and looked down to see my dash was lit up like a christmas tree. oil temperature warning light was on and my temperature gauge was pegged. i jumped off the track and immediately rolled towards the shop. oil warning light went off before i got to the shop. temp gauge was still pegged. i pulled up to the shop and scott(the shop owner) came out with a water hose and started spraying water into the radiator. temperature gauge came back to normal after about 2 minutes of this. took her back over to where me and my buddy were parked and let her cool off. seemed to be ok so i took her out again later in the day, she got hot again after 4 laps. i was watching this time and backed off the throttle.

with any luck the low mpgs are from an ethenol heavy tank of gas i got after the track. im changing the oil monday and sending a sample off to Blackstone labs just in case.

so heres the discusion part....who's upgraded their radiator and what did you use. im currently considering the ford racing fr500s/boss302r radiator, shelby's extreme duty radiator and steeda's cfa high performance radiator.

im also going to be installing an oil cooler, diff cooler and some form of transmission cooler and boxing in the new radiator

I bought the Shelby radiator and matching HE... even with desert temps regularly over 100, never an issue. Jer

When my Shelby GT overheated on the track in the summer in Georgia I installed a 3 core Mishimoto Aluminum radiator. 279 I believe and problem solved. I run the Paxton Supercharger setup.

Jared

I was running in IIB and started having the heating issues in the afternoon. Kept a close eye on the gauge and it never got too hot. I run the whole track in 3rd with 410 gears. Never had the overheating issue with the 355's or 373's.

John

well i changed the oil and sent a sample off today. tiny bit of metal in the oil but doesnt look like anything serious. what does worry me though is i have a quiet whirring noise coming from the driver side of the engine. started after the track day. im thinking either belt, pulley bushing or maybe maybe its a phaser.... not sure yet. gonna change the belt in the morning and see if that makes it go away. it changes with rpm so it should be easy to track down....i hope.

jwhite i saw you behind me when i jumped in IIb for a short bit. you were hauling some but! im running 4:10s as well. cant imagine life without them. the higher rpms is defintely what pushed it past the cooling limits.

well i changed the oil and sent a sample off today. tiny bit of metal in the oil but doesnt look like anything serious. what does worry me though is i have a quiet whirring noise coming from the driver side of the engine. started after the track day. im thinking either belt, pulley bushing or maybe maybe its a phaser.... not sure yet. gonna change the belt in the morning and see if that makes it go away. it changes with rpm so it should be easy to track down....i hope.

jwhite i saw you behind me when i jumped in IIb for a short bit. you were hauling some but! im running 4:10s as well. cant imagine life without them. the higher rpms is defintely what pushed it past the cooling limits.

saw you running in IIA and you were doing really well down the straight into 1 and up the hill. When track is open I can run in the 1:35-36 range. Not bad for stock calipers, street tires and canned tune.

When you guys upgrade the radiator do you put a lower temp thermostat in as well and if so what temp?

I'm running the C&R radiator and intercooler heat exchanger/radiator.

It's the same one Shelby and Revan Racing sells (I bought the pair from C. Van Collier @ Revan Racing).

I had comparison pics of the two side by side but lost them in a hard drive crash. There is a MAJOR difference.

I've never had a problem with engine heat but I've never tracked the car. I *did* have IC heat soak after I bumped up the supercharger to a 2.9L which is why I bought the upgrades in the first place.

I still get heat soak but now it takes longer/more runs to notice the drop in power. And it's significant.

Phill

Archived