TEAM SHELBY FORUM

State Trooper encounter

jawa

Was driving to work this am and was being tailgated by a dude in a pickup (it's funny how this happes, either tailgating, or somebody wanting to show their stuff agaisnt our cars, or just wanting to get a better look at a Shelby).

In any case, the Pickup proceeds to pass me in the right lane going well about the Speed Limit. As this occurs, I see a unmarked cop car a little ways ahead, so I am thinking to myself, I'll ease back and let Mr. Pickup truck get busted. At this point, I am actaully going below the Speed limit.

So what happens next is amaing. As I slowly pass the cop, again going below SL becase I have known he was there for a while now, he puts his blues on and pulls me over!

Once pulled over, the first thing he checks is to see if I have a Front Plate, which I do have (thank you Craigs Custom Mustang Brackets!). He then checks out the rest of the car. I have window tint (whole other topic of discussion), but I had both windows all the way down not to be seen.

He says I was doing 89MPH, which was BS.. I politely pleeded my case but was frirm and emphatic. Told him I meant no disrespect, but he got the wrong vehicle. This went on for a couple minutes. He takes my info, does his thing back at the cruiser, and then come back to the car and says he believes my story! I was pleasantly surprised but really shocked.

Just wanted to share this with you all, and see if anybody else had similar encounters with law enforcement

I say he was bored and wanted a closer look at your car!

In my opinion that would be a waste of time for the driver. When a cop pulls a vechicle over it usually is a 5-10 minute time frame which if not guilty of anything is a complete waste of time for the innocent car enthusiast who is simply enjoying thier automobile. If a cop wants to look he or she can look on the internet or go to the next car show or better yet the next track event.

Was driving to work this am and was being tailgated by a dude in a pickup (it's funny how this happes, either tailgating, or somebody wanting to show their stuff agaisnt our cars, or just wanting to get a better look at a Shelby).

In any case, the Pickup proceeds to pass me in the right lane going well about the Speed Limit. As this occurs, I see a unmarked cop car a little ways ahead, so I am thinking to myself, I'll ease back and let Mr. Pickup truck get busted. At this point, I am actaully going below the Speed limit.

So what happens next is amaing. As I slowly pass the cop, again going below SL becase I have known he was there for a while now, he puts his blues on and pulls me over!

Once pulled over, the first thing he checks is to see if I have a Front Plate, which I do have (thank you Craigs Custom Mustang Brackets!). He then checks out the rest of the car. I have window tint (whole other topic of discussion), but I had both windows all the way down not to be seen.

He says I was doing 89MPH, which was BS.. I politely pleeded my case but was frirm and emphatic. Told him I meant no disrespect, but he got the wrong vehicle. This went on for a couple minutes. He takes my info, does his thing back at the cruiser, and then come back to the car and says he believes my story! I was pleasantly surprised but really shocked.

Just wanted to share this with you all, and see if anybody else had similar encounters with law enforcement

This is totally off topic but I was wondering what size american racing wheels you have I like the deep offset look. Are they 20 in and if so what offset?

I've been pulled over once in the SGT, it was a legit pull over. I had gotten on it pulling out onto a main road and this expedition came flying up on my bumper. I'm thinking who the heck is tailgating me when I'm going this fast. Then my heart sunk as the lights flipped on. Pulled over right away, I was very honest and respectful to the officer and it also sounded like he was a car guy. He mentioned having driven Shelby's before and knowing how fast they are and that this wasn't the type of attention I wanted to attract in that kind of car. Praise God, he let me go with a warning.

The wheels are 275/35/20 rear and 255/35/20 front. I thought for sure there was a ticket in my future, and the whole time I was thinking I did not even enjoy going fast with the car to get one! Upon further refelection, I think having the front plate really helped my cause, and I have an empty car seat in the back for my 6yr old son. I probably did not look like the sterio-typical speedster!

I say he was bored and wanted a closer look at your car!

Yup. That's probably right. It's happened twice to me. His excuse was I "looked" like I was going faster than the other cars...

This post made me order a Craig's Front Bracket for my IL SGT.

Guess I can take it off for the show and shines. Trust those that have this bracket are happy with it?

Been running a yr w/o a front plate and figure my luck has got to run thin.

IL is more broke than most states so the cops are writing tickets for everything.

No need to give them one more reason to pull you over.

I have been running 5 years without front plates on the Shelby with no stop yet

Its been 14 months now with the Boss and no front plate either and no stop yet.

I have the craigs bracket in the trunk with the plate attached to it so if I get stopped I will simply say I forgot to put it back on after the last car show.

• 2 weeks later...

The wheels are 275/35/20 rear and 255/35/20 front. I thought for sure there was a ticket in my future, and the whole time I was thinking I did not even enjoy going fast with the car to get one! Upon further refelection, I think having the front plate really helped my cause, and I have an empty car seat in the back for my 6yr old son. I probably did not look like the sterio-typical speedster!

Car looks sweet!!!!!!

Archived