TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Would you trade..........

Amigo GT500

What do you mean not a replica? Are you speaking of a Shelby CSX4000/CSX6000 car? Many consider the continuation cars a replica vs an original CSX3000 car. I doubt you're getting a real original.

If you've never been in one, you should try it first. Many people do not like the rough ride, heat and noise. The Mustang is a touring car, the Cobra a street legal race car with the sole purpose of moving an engine. Driver comfort was not a consideration (it was their job) and passengers are considered to be something like a pet rock and get no consideration for comfort or safety.

What do you mean not a replica? Are you speaking of a Shelby CSX4000/CSX6000 car? Many consider the continuation cars a replica vs an original CSX3000 car. I doubt you're getting a real original.

If you've never been in one, you should try it first. Many people do not like the rough ride, heat and noise. The Mustang is a touring car, the Cobra a street legal race car with the sole purpose of moving an engine. Driver comfort was not a consideration (it was their job) and passengers are considered to be something like a pet rock and get no consideration for comfort or safety.

My thoughts exactly - on both the replica question and what a Cobra is.

My thoughts exactly - on both the replica question and what a Cobra is.

Some day I'll have another. There's a really sweet ERA for a steal mentioned on the Cobra forum and on Cobra Country. Could be the steal of the century...

In Fact, to the OP - for 42K plus an engine rebuild (which is probably negotiable in the price) you could have both. Then let the car gods sort out which one you like best :)

But my next one will be a 289 car. Seriously, the 427 isn't really all that much fun to drive because I never felt I was really using the power train to its capability. I always felt I was "loading" it too much. A 289 can be driven quite well in most conditions a little "over half way". I think the car would be happier :)

As an owner of both (not a real one but CSX4833), I personally have no regrets selling my CSX for my '12 SS. The best thing about the CSX is the rush you get when putting your foot into it although the SS is no slouch in this either. The CSX is not what would be considered a joy to drive (depending on your definition). It is extremely hot to drive. Imagine being stuck in a traffic jam on a sunny 80 degree day. You would lose 5 pounds in sweat waiting for the traffic to clear up. After driving her, you will smell of exhaust so don't plan on going out on a date without a shower first. The car is really a one person car, meaning that with the inherent wind noise and the noise from the side pipes, carrying on a conversation is a lot of work. Airbags? Not an option, so don't hit anything. The car is a mechanic's dream and if you like working on older technology engines and suspensions, then you won't mind having one. No computers or OBD codes to help diagnose the problem. You will constantly be asked at car shows and parking lots whether it is a real cobra (although if you are driving it around, the question is really kind of silly). As soon as you explain that it is a continuation car, their interest drops immediately. There are so many replicas, that your CSX unfortunately falls into the mess of bad replicas. One good thing is that they seem to hold their value even though there is nothing technologically unique to the car. A chance of rain? Keep it in the garage. If you get caught in the rain, you are not only in a very scary car, but getting very wet at the same time. The cobra in the rain is like being on water skis in a rain storm. Well, I may not have answered your question, but maybe you have a bit more information than you had before.

As an owner of both (not a real one but CSX4833), I personally have no regrets selling my CSX for my '12 SS. The best thing about the CSX is the rush you get when putting your foot into it although the SS is no slouch in this either. The CSX is not what would be considered a joy to drive (depending on your definition). It is extremely hot to drive. Imagine being stuck in a traffic jam on a sunny 80 degree day. You would lose 5 pounds in sweat waiting for the traffic to clear up. After driving her, you will smell of exhaust so don't plan on going out on a date without a shower first. The car is really a one person car, meaning that with the inherent wind noise and the noise from the side pipes, carrying on a conversation is a lot of work. Airbags? Not an option, so don't hit anything. The car is a mechanic's dream and if you like working on older technology engines and suspensions, then you won't mind having one. No computers or OBD codes to help diagnose the problem. You will constantly be asked at car shows and parking lots whether it is a real cobra (although if you are driving it around, the question is really kind of silly). As soon as you explain that it is a continuation car, their interest drops immediately. There are so many replicas, that your CSX unfortunately falls into the mess of bad replicas. One good thing is that they seem to hold their value even though there is nothing technologically unique to the car. A chance of rain? Keep it in the garage. If you get caught in the rain, you are not only in a very scary car, but getting very wet at the same time. The cobra in the rain is like being on water skis in a rain storm. Well, I may not have answered your question, but maybe you have a bit more information than you had before.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

CSX4833 said a lot of things I'd forgotten about especially about getting caught in a rainstorm. No one deliberately takes a Harley or cobra out in the rai. But you will get caught some time. It's ok when moving the fan will go over the windshield although rain will come in and arou d the windshield area where the top of the door closes and your feet and pants will get wet. But don't get in traffic or have to stop at a light in the rain. You'll get soaked!

And never never feed one after midnight. Oops wrong movie. Never get caught in a hail storm. I did and had bloody ears and 6" of hail on the passenger seat side.

But they are a visceral exciting car to drive alone on the road. Friends with high powered motorcycles said it was a similar experience

Also they are a tinkerers dream but if you are not mechanically inclined a nightmare. It's really hard to find anyone to work on them becAuse the intrinsic value of a 100k+ car scares most mechanics even though it is a regular old 60's engine. Also I think they leave about 200 loose screws and bolts in it so they can fall out on the garage floor. I never figured out where they belonged

Also I think they leave about 200 loose screws and bolts in it so they can fall out on the garage floor.

Somehow I lost the lower alternator mounting bolt. Of all the bolts and nuts I checked on a regular basis I never thought about that one. I wish I had found it on the garage floor. Proper replacement bolt and spacer was hard to come by.

Also they are a tinkerers dream but if you are not mechanically inclined a nightmare. It's really hard to find anyone to work on them becAuse the intrinsic value of a 100k+ car scares most mechanics even though it is a regular old 60's engine. Also I think they leave about 200 loose screws and bolts in it so they can fall out on the garage floor. I never figured out where they belonged

Oh man is that ever the truth.............................

Great responses. I wonder what the OP decided. I suspect like everyone else that someone is trying to barter a continuation car in this instance. There was a 4k series car at a car show yesterday I attended with an all aluminum 427 in it. I certainly wouldn't mind one, but I'm a tinkerer too and do all my own work on my classic cars.

+1. I had a replica Cobra and will have another one day. I can thank the Cobra for teaching me how to "really drive". I became tired of owning the Cobra for everything mentioned above and not also owning a daily driver like my GT500 at the same time. The Cobra was pure, unrelenting and untamed power that if you made any mistake behind the wheel whatsoever it would bite you back... hard. I loved that car for how raw it was and also for the lessons I learned driving it. With that said, it sucks when it is too hot or too cold. You don't dare take it out if there is a 40% or higher chance of rain. Lastly, I got pooped on by a bird once while driving it.... and it must have been a large bird because the poop hit my right shoulder and splattered all over the rear passenger side of the car. Wasn't expecting these downsides when I bought the car, but man it sure did turn heads when you were cruising down the street. My next one will most likely be a Backdraft Racing Cobra and will see track duty.

+1. I had a replica Cobra and will have another one day. I can thank the Cobra for teaching me how to "really drive". I became tired of owning the Cobra for everything mentioned above and not also owning a daily driver like my GT500 at the same time. The Cobra was pure, unrelenting and untamed power that if you made any mistake behind the wheel whatsoever it would bite you back... hard. I loved that car for how raw it was and also for the lessons I learned driving it. With that said, it sucks when it is too hot or too cold. You don't dare take it out if there is a 40% or higher chance of rain. Lastly, I got pooped on by a bird once while driving it.... and it must have been a large bird because the poop hit my right shoulder and splattered all over the rear passenger side of the car. Wasn't expecting these downsides when I bought the car, but man it sure did turn heads when you were cruising down the street. My next one will most likely be a Backdraft Racing Cobra and will see track duty.

:hysterical2: .........sorry man, but that's funny right there. Now I have to worry about being bombed by a bird, :doh:

Something else to remember is that many more people go the opposite direction of trading the cobre for something else. That was partially my situation in that I did both directions. Coincidentally there is a topic on the very subject of why people sell their cobra dream. And on Club cobra right here

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/121094-why-do-cobra-owners-sell-so-fast.html

If you are considering it at all you need to do some reading and club cobra is the best place

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but you should know what you're getting into

I would still be cautious about the price of a csx trade for a ss. You'd be getting the better deal but such trades by a knowledgeable person would be rare since be could sell a sorted out glass car on Cobra country for 80-100k. You should have a full pre purchase inspection done by a qualified inspector. The SAAC forum has a list of people that do them

• 1 year later...

Some day I'll have another. There's a really sweet ERA for a steal mentioned on the Cobra forum and on Cobra Country. Could be the steal of the century...

Not anymore!

It's been sold and now resides in Colorado Springs, CO.

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

You don't dare take it out if there is a 40% or higher chance of rain. Lastly, I got pooped on by a bird once while driving it.... and it must have been a large bird because the poop hit my right shoulder and splattered all over the rear passenger side of the car. Wasn't expecting these downsides when I bought the car, but man it sure did turn heads when you were cruising down the street. My next one will most likely be a Backdraft Racing Cobra and will see track duty.

As an owner of both (not a real one but CSX4833), I personally have no regrets selling my CSX for my '12 SS. The best thing about the CSX is the rush you get when putting your foot into it although the SS is no slouch in this either. The CSX is not what would be considered a joy to drive (depending on your definition). It is extremely hot to drive. Imagine being stuck in a traffic jam on a sunny 80 degree day. You would lose 5 pounds in sweat waiting for the traffic to clear up. After driving her, you will smell of exhaust so don't plan on going out on a date without a shower first. The car is really a one person car, meaning that with the inherent wind noise and the noise from the side pipes, carrying on a conversation is a lot of work. Airbags? Not an option, so don't hit anything.

:hysterical: Those caught me by surprise, over my morning coffee.

Archived