TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vehicle Storage

I've done a lot of searching online, and have seen a lot of different opinions. I would like to see what you guys think, as you actually own the same car as I.

I'm deploying and will have to store the car for 9 months. It's in central Texas, and my dilemma is that I am not sure if I need climate controlled storage or not. I want it, but I'm having difficulty finding a unit I can actually drive into. If I can't find one and I have to resort to non-climate controlled, is this a big deal?

Lucky:

First of all, thank you for your service to our country. From what I have been able to determine based on many years of storage is that most cars don't care about what temperature it is. That said, if you will be storing your car in a cold climate, it's best to make sure you do all the things necessary to insure she will be fine when started up for the first time. Cold does affect battery life (in a bad way) so keep that in mind. Good luck and I'm sure you will get more answers on this forum.

Thanks for your service to our country as well. Heat does not affect the cars as much as cold does. Cold causes condensation on the metal when things start to warm up - which in turn causes corrosion. Heat will kill and unused battery pretty quickly so I would pull that and place it in a cool-dry location up off of a concrete floor. Also add Stabil to the gas tank and top it off and change the engine oil/filter. Also give the car a coat of your choice of wax/protectant. I would also pump up the tires to about 50lbs when you park it to keep the tires from flat spotting. A good quality cover would also be a good investment as well as a few mouse traps in the area of the car if you think rodents could be a problem.

Been doing this for 20+ years with my "toys" and never had a problem.

For 9 months of storage I would for sure recommend a fresh oil change to have a clean virgin oil in there to help with the temp and moisture swings you may incur. Other then that its the usual. Stabil, wax, car cover, battery maintainer etc. Good luck with your decision and come home safe!

One thing I think you have to do is take all your suggestions and do what makes you feel good about leaving the car. If you wanted to pull the engine and put it in a closet, some may say your crazy but as long as you can feel good and rest knowing your car will be ready to go when you get back as soon as you install the engine of course lol

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have read in the Hagerty issues they don't really recommend vehicles being stored on stands because it puts all that hanging weight on the suspension components which they are not designed for. On the other hand a lot of people do use that method and has been fine. I personally use the flat stoppers. They are curved to help aid in not flat spotting your tires but also keeps the tires from direct contact to the surface and moisture.

+1 on thanking you for your service.

If you have access to power put a couple of air driers like Golden rods or the like. They will keep the mold and mildew from forming in your car.

I did just this on my sons car he should be coming back in a month or two it still looks fine . He had a buddy leave his car here and when his wife came to pick it up there was mold growing in the carpet.

Archived