TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New GT500 (200 miles) 7psi Max Boost?

Hello

I am brand new here (first post) and just got my Black GT500 yesterday. I had to drive a pretty good distance to get it (and still paid an insane ADM fee) so it gave me quite a bit of time to play on the way home. When I first got it the supercharger was not active, which I know is normal, and then after bit it kicked in. After many engine cycles (start up, power off), the most I have ever seen out the boost guage is 7 psi, and I have run it up on the RPMs, and most of the time I see it closer to 5. It holds steady, so I don't think I have the air filter issue I have read about.

Is this normal? I did a search on the forums and see people talking about 9psi.. With more miles does this open up more?

I am in Dallas Texas, somewhat humid, pretty low elevation.

Any experiences you guys can share would be appreciated.

John

Factory setting should be 8.5 psi. Maybe the gauge is bad? Have a local SVT dealer check it out if your certain it's not the air filter. One way to find out is to remove the filter & nail it & see if it goes past that 5psi & then stop & put the filter in as soon ASAP to prevent dirt getting into it, then you'll know.

Hello

I am brand new here (first post) and just got my Black GT500 yesterday. I had to drive a pretty good distance to get it (and still paid an insane ADM fee) so it gave me quite a bit of time to play on the way home. When I first got it the supercharger was not active, which I know is normal, and then after bit it kicked in. After many engine cycles (start up, power off), the most I have ever seen out the boost guage is 7 psi, and I have run it up on the RPMs, and most of the time I see it closer to 5. It holds steady, so I don't think I have the air filter issue I have read about.

Is this normal? I did a search on the forums and see people talking about 9psi.. With more miles does this open up more?

I am in Dallas Texas, somewhat humid, pretty low elevation.

Any experiences you guys can share would be appreciated.

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum! 8.5 psi is the max factory boost. I have seen some people post higher numbers...not sure if that could be due to some other factor or modification.

Sounds like yours is about on the mark. When I'm at boost I'm staring at the road, so I don't have time to tell whether it's 7 or 7.5....I just know it's off zero. :happy feet:

Best way to find out is when you get your car dynoed. Have them check the boost too and that will give u actual numbers.

Dave, Dave, Dave :stop:

from the Ford Media website

The engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost.

This is what I read as well.. Which prompted my initial message. I will give a few hundred more miles, and then take it to get Dyno'd and see what it is at. This will also give me a good baseline for future mods. If it is low, I will take it to my SVT dealer nearby.

Thank you for the replies.

John

I believe the 8.5 pounds is at sea level and probably around 60 degrees. I'm at 3000 and on a hot day, all I get is about 7 pounds. So your's may vary according to temperature and altitude. But hey....that's what you have a warranty for, if it doesn't feel right, make them check it out.

And the boost gauge, Who has the time to look at that tiny thing...I'm holding on for dear life. :hysterical2:

This is what I read as well.. Which prompted my initial message. I will give a few hundred more miles, and then take it to get Dyno'd and see what it is at. This will also give me a good baseline for future mods. If it is low, I will take it to my SVT dealer nearby.

Thank you for the replies.

John

Something else to think about .. with any air restriction ... your boost will be lower. Likewise .. with a JLT CAI .... your boost goes up about 1

Slight possiblity your filter could be damaged or not allowing the proper air flow in ..

I believe the 8.5 pounds is at sea level and probably around 60 degrees. I'm at 3000 and on a hot day, all I get is about 7 pounds. So your's may vary according to temperature and altitude. But hey....that's what you have a warranty for, if it doesn't feel right, make them check it out.

And the boost gauge, Who has the time to look at that tiny thing...I'm holding on for dear life. :hysterical2:

"Who has time to look at that tiny thing, I'm holding on for dear life"

Hey Texas ..... aint that the truth ... I can relate to that ! :hysterical2:

"Who has time to look at that tiny thing, I'm holding on for dear life"

Hey Texas ..... aint that the truth ... I can relate to that ! :hysterical2:

When my supercharger is kicked in I don't have time to look at the boost gauge. but I did notice boost close to 6 once

i get about 9.5-10 psi with a downsized pulley and JLT CAI (in Denver).... 2.6" pulley

with the stock pulley i was getting about 6.

seems like you should be getting more in Dallas with stock pulley... i agree that you should have that looked into

I get 7.5 at best, stock. 2500 ft where I live.

Dave, Dave, Dave :stop:

from the Ford Media website

The engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a "Roots-type" supercharger providing 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost.

You are correct CW..my bad....I will change my original post. Not sure where I recall the other number from...hmmm....guess I'm going senile. At least I said "I THINK" before it.

Here's a site that says 9". http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...rticleId=115578. I know it's wrong...I'm just pointing out how easy it is to get the wrong info, and once it's in your head...tough to get out. :banghead:

Sorry about the confusion.

Good comment about altitude Texas. :superhero:

:hysterical2: Thanks for the help with the local authorities!

I was...welll...mmmm, you know accelerating onto an onramp yesterday at a very rapid rate (not so much speeding, as getting to speed very quickly...the temp was about 59 @ 2800 feet....and like I said in my previous post...how can you see that little gauge...well I made sure I did, through second anyways... 8 pounds on the nose....then I noticed this nice man in a uniform that was already on the loop that I had so gracefully merged onto, passing up a whole string of cars (as not to interfere with traffic) just before they arrived where I was getting on. Now I didn't think much about it, but said upholder of the law and order east of the Pecos didn't find it one bit amusing. When me and my new found bud got stopped and he was asking what kind of emergency I had. I smiled and said I didn't. I ran out here just to do that, so I could see how much boost it makes at 60 degrees F and 18% humidity for a website. He was looking down at the ticket book when I said that and stopped and did one of those "tilt your cowboy hat back things" and said, this thing has a blower in it. I shook my head and said yes...this is the new Shelby Mustang. He said he'd heard of them, but hadn't seen one up close. We talked a little bit about it on the side of the road, he handed me my license back and said, try not to do that again, at least when getting on the loop. I laughed and said, well I just wanted to stay out of everyone's way, he smiled and said, well his boss was in an unmarked about 3 cars behind him and made him pull me over. It was great! :doh:

:hysterical2: Thanks for the help with the local authorities!

I was...welll...mmmm, you know accelerating onto an onramp yesterday at a very rapid rate (not so much speeding, as getting to speed very quickly...the temp was about 59 @ 2800 feet....and like I said in my previous post...how can you see that little gauge...well I made sure I did, through second anyways... 8 pounds on the nose....then I noticed this nice man in a uniform that was already on the loop that I had so gracefully merged onto, passing up a whole string of cars (as not to interfere with traffic) just before they arrived where I was getting on. Now I didn't think much about it, but said upholder of the law and order east of the Pecos didn't find it one bit amusing. When me and my new found bud got stopped and he was asking what kind of emergency I had. I smiled and said I didn't. I ran out here just to do that, so I could see how much boost it makes at 60 degrees F and 18% humidity for a website. He was looking down at the ticket book when I said that and stopped and did one of those "tilt your cowboy hat back things" and said, this thing has a blower in it. I shook my head and said yes...this is the new Shelby Mustang. He said he'd heard of them, but hadn't seen one up close. We talked a little bit about it on the side of the road, he handed me my license back and said, try not to do that again, at least when getting on the loop. I laughed and said, well I just wanted to stay out of everyone's way, he smiled and said, well his boss was in an unmarked about 3 cars behind him and made him pull me over. It was great! :doh:

Well, I think you certainly went above and beyond trying to help me answer my question!!

Great story! Thanks!

John

Archived