TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally getting those overdue mods done!

Removing and replacing/relocating the power steering cooler, moving the supercharger heat exchanger, installing the brake cooling ductwork, clean and touch-up paint work on the front fascia, and probably a host of other things as I find them!

Naturally, I wait until the temperature hits 90 before working on the car, but I needed to get started and complete stuff before Labor Day!

Pics as it proceeds!

Sam

Removing and replacing/relocating the power steering cooler, moving the supercharger heat exchanger, installing the brake cooling ductwork, clean and touch-up paint work on the front fascia, and probably a host of other things as I find them!

Naturally, I wait until the temperature hits 90 before working on the car, but I needed to get started and complete stuff before Labor Day!

Pics as it proceeds!

Sam

You aren't kidding about the humidity! ugh!

Looking forward to seeing it...Your car is always fantastic!

A few hours of work hopefully will yield enough space to run the brake ducting!

Got rid of the stock power steering "cooler" that was preventing me from moving the supercharger heat-exchanger back away from the fascia:

STOCKCOOLER_zps709298cb.jpg

New cooler installed in a more accessible/efficient position:

NEWCOOLER_zps47def819.jpg

Heat exchanger moved back toward radiator, opening up some more room in front for the ducting:

HEATEXCHANGER_zpsd25a15e3.jpg

We'll see what I can do as the week wears on!

Sam

Interesting stock PS cooler! I like the new set up. Looks very clean and definitely better than that loop thing.

Thanks David! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can fit that duct work in place - pretty tight clearances back there!

Sam

part number on the ps cooler please, that is a great idea. i flipped my HE over so it sits above the front bumper to make room for the brake duct cooling kit but the bumper blocks some of the air flow so you have showed me a new option.

part number on the ps cooler please, that is a great idea. i flipped my HE over so it sits above the front bumper to make room for the brake duct cooling kit but the bumper blocks some of the air flow so you have showed me a new option.

Original idea came from the "So you want to go racing" thread, so I can't take credit! Because he's racing, he's using Ford part # M-3746-A, (about $60), which is a much larger cooler and extends completely across the radiator.

I went the less expensive route and found a universal cooler when I was wandering around an Advance auto parts store. I came across a "Imperial Power Steering Oil Cooler" (their part # 241009) for about $20, which should be just fine for street and track day use. Simple and straight forward removal and install - jury is still out on longevity, but I'm certain it's at least as good as the stock cooler!

Sam

As soon as full employment is once again reached this will be at the top of my list. My AFCO HE is large and moving it back might work. Flipping it worked to clear room but the HE is partially blocked so my IAT's are a little higher than I would like especially in 99-100 degree weather.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I finally got the brake ducts installed, and quite frankly, it was a PITA!

The modifications I made provided about 2+ inches of clearance, and after several hours, I was able to jam the tubes into place and get them clamped on the bezels. The tubes are squished down quite a bit, so I doubt if I'll get the airflow that was intended, but I should get SOME!

On the good side, installation of the backing plates was easy - took 5 minutes per wheel!

My conclusion is that it CAN be done, HOWEVER, these were indeed designed for an SGT, one that's NORMALLY ASPIRATED! (Without a heat exchanger, you'll have a lot easier time than me!)

You'll need to pick up some more and longer zip-ties as well - the four provided in the kit come up short!

I passed along my thoughts to Jer, so we'll see if SPP will come up with something different in future for us "pressurized" folks!

Pics later when I'm under the car installing the transmission scoop!

Edit for an update from Jer: He tells me that SPP is in the process of developing a new brake duct bezel that will address the clearance issues AND will retrofit to those of us with the original style!

(of course he also pointed out that the original brake duct kit does mention the supercharger/heat exchanger clearance problem - MY BAD!)

Sam

Archived