TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear Axle Alignment

I was swapping my winter and summer wheels/tires today, and noticed an odd alignment between my frame and the bump stops on the rear axle (see pictures below).

IMG_0047_zpsa70a594f.jpg

IMG_0048_zps878d1fff.jpg

Same thing on the driver's side. Looks like the axle is rotated too far aft. I have the stock UCA on, so is it the BMR lowers? Also, notice the wear on the brake cable and the wear on the LCA itself (!), which I was shocked to see.

IMG_0049_zps74d6eb03.jpg

IMG_0050_zps73664d77.jpg

Any thoughts? Do I have an alignment problem here?

I was swapping my winter and summer wheels/tires today, and noticed an odd alignment between my frame and the bump stops on the rear axle (see pictures below).

Same thing on the driver's side. Looks like the axle is rotated too far aft. I have the stock UCA on, so is it the BMR lowers? Also, notice the wear on the brake cable and the wear on the LCA itself (!), which I was shocked to see.

Any thoughts? Do I have an alignment problem here?

My 2010 is the same way.

Look at the springs how they are centered in the pocket. If your axle was forward/backward, the springs wouldn't be centered.

I cut the top section of my jounce bumpers off to get a little more travel before they hit.

There is a TS member that sells a relocation kit to center the bumpers if it concerns you.

Phill

Hummmmm. Is the car lowered? If you have the FRPP handling package (as per your sig), and are running the stock UCA, you have a problem with your pinion angle. That is why lowered cars need to run an adjustable UCA. When you lower the car it changes the suspension geomerty. The pinion angle will be directly related to the rotation of your rear axle. You sig also mentions a Steeda UCA and mount. Have you installed this yet, as I assume it is adjustable. If not installed, I would put it on my 'to do' list, and put it towars the top of the prioroty. Running with an incorrect pinion angle can cause excessive wear to your universal joints and laed to premature wear of drivetrain components.

Z-man

I had a BMR adjustable UCA at first, but the NVH was intolerable. Switched to the Steeda adjustable UCA, but that was almost as bad. Switched back to stock UCA, and all was right with the world, NVH-wise, anyway. Asked dealer to check pinion angle for me after reinstalling stock UCA, and they confirmed it was still within tolerances as specified in the WSM (since I have the SVT Handling Pack, my guess is they designed it to work with the stock UCA). So, I may be on the upper end of tolerance as far as pinion angle, but you're right, at least the springs are centered in their wells. It just looks a little weird.

Archived