TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Blew My Engine. What Now?

Hey guys, I'm usually at moddedmustangs.com, but thought I'd get your opinion as Shelby owners.

I recently damaged the pistons in my 2007 gt500 and am trying to decide on where to go from here. It's HEAVILY modified and I'm currently using it as a HPDE/autocross car. My options right now are to:

1. Ford racing crate engine

2. MMR long block

3. MMR short block (if heads are ok)

4. Sell the car as is (how much do you think it's worth as a roller?)

5. Part the car out

If I sold the car I would get something lighter.(Lotus exige, factory 5 cobra, etc)

Mods are as follows:

Ported eaton

Pulley swap

Heat exchanger with dual fans

Larger coolant reservoir

Control arms

Aluminum driveshaft

6 pt cage

Pypes exhaust

Hurst then mgw shifter

Spec clutch

Baer slotted rotors

Hawk autocross pads

Steel brake lines

Nitto nt05 (brand new)

Cobra seats

Eibach sport springs

If it was me and I wanted to keep the car I'd fix it and put a set of Eagle or Manley billet I-Beam rods and lightweight pistons. Then the bottom end would then be capable of whatever you dished out for it. More boost! 1200+ HP!

Put it up for sale as is if you don't want to invest more money into it and aren't sure of the return on your investment. Then whoever buys it can do what they want. Seems nicely modified.

Patrick: that's one good looking gt500...

Secondo: I'm leaning toward getting rid of it, but I have no clue what it would be worth without a functioning bottom end. I've also put so much money into it and know I won't get much of it back. Any estimates?

Im afraid you would not be happy with what you get. 10-15 possibly. This is a tough call though. I understand your desire for a lighter car for track. But your going to take a beating if sold as is. If I wre to sell it, I believe I would find a used motor. otherwise, Find a 5.8 or an alumimum 5.4

Patrick: that's one good looking gt500...

Secondo: I'm leaning toward getting rid of it, but I have no clue what it would be worth without a functioning bottom end. I've also put so much money into it and know I won't get much of it back. Any estimates?

On one hand you will lose much money if you get rid of it, I think everyone will agree on that one because most people who extensively modified a car experienced massive loss of investment...but on the other hand a Shelby will always be a Shelby (a Mustang really) so if you think about having another type of behavior on the track or on the slalom, no matter how much more money you'll invest, it won't radically change what the car basically is. Beside the financial aspect you should ask yourself what your expectations are in the end.

Hey guys, I'm usually at moddedmustangs.com, but thought I'd get your opinion as Shelby owners.

I recently damaged the pistons in my 2007 gt500 and am trying to decide on where to go from here. It's HEAVILY modified and I'm currently using it as a HPDE/autocross car. My options right now are to:

1. Ford racing crate engine

2. MMR long block

3. MMR short block (if heads are ok)

4. Sell the car as is (how much do you think it's worth as a roller?)

5. Part the car out

If I sold the car I would get something lighter.(Lotus exige, factory 5 cobra, etc)

Mods are as follows:

Ported eaton

Pulley swap

Heat exchanger with dual fans

Larger coolant reservoir

Control arms

Aluminum driveshaft

6 pt cage

Pypes exhaust

Hurst then mgw shifter

Spec clutch

Baer slotted rotors

Hawk autocross pads

Steel brake lines

Nitto nt05 (brand new)

Cobra seats

Eibach sport springs

Just curious. How did you damage the pistons in your car?

he doesnt have anything done to it, he red lined it probly went past 6800 rpms... if he has a shop, or a buddy and time he can change the rods and pistons out himself. thats what i would do and thats the cheapest. i could only wish i had 30,000 to buy a 5.8 crate engine. ford finaly put 2 and 2 together and realised these crazy ass holes want 4 digits worth of hp... lets build it so it last! i agree with secondo

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard good and bad about MMR.

I'm not sure how I would go in your position actually. If you know someone who can build it locally I might go that route, at least that way you know the person and you'll hopefully get what you paid for.

Good luck man... I wish these cars had knock sensors like the newer ones, that would have probably saved your motor :\

Archived